Who has experience with sellmyipod.com?

K

kayak897

Guest
Hi,

I have an iPod that I want to get rid of. I have found a London company called HipSnap at www.sellmyipod.com that provides a service to people like me. For a fee they will sell my iPod on eBay and do all the work. More importantly, they take the risk of fraud. I have heard that eBay has a bad reputation for having fraudsters (especially organised criminals for Eastern Europe) operating on its site. Even the Times wrote recently a large article about it.

I would like to have your opinion on companies like HipSnap. Apparently, these companies are doing quite well in the US. I think it's a good idea. Does any have experience with them?

Thanks.

Tom
 

JUS

Well-known Member
Personnally I'd try selling on here first. Then at work etc and as a last resort ebay.

If you're buying you've got to be very careful using ebay. If you're selling then you set the rules. Only sell to people in the UK. Only send the goods once you have the cash in your pocket etc etc
 

Cloysterpeteuk

Well-known Member
How exactly can a seller lose out on ebay?, if the buyer doesn't give you the payment then don't send the item!, that's just common sense You can also set your auction so only sellers with good ratings can bid, ie those who have a reputable history on ebay. No way to lose out so stop being lazy and sell it yourself lol.
 

Cloysterpeteuk

Well-known Member
Which ebay will refund if you get a fraudelent buyer, remember it's illegal for people to buy something and not pay for it so it very rarely happens. As I said specify that only people with high ratings can bid, cuts out any potential jack asses.
 
K

kayak897

Guest
I have done some research on how eBay and companies like HipSnap work and have come up with the following conclusions:
If a seller sets the rules on eBay by restricting who can bid and who cannot, that would diminish the final bid price since there are less bidders. Also, a new seller who have no feedback on eBay, so buyers are more careful to bid.
I suppose that companies like HipSnap have good reputations/feedback and do not set restrictions, so they can maximize the final bid price. That would save potential customers not only time but also money, I guess. Also, I read that after a buyer has received the item, he could cancel his payment through PayPal. Then the seller loses!!

So, maybe it would be better to use companies like HipSnap. They have the experience and they take the risk. Also, those companies give back the items to the owner if they don't sell. So, potentially I wouldn't lose!

Or am I seeing it the wrong way? Anybody else with opinions?
 

John

Moderator
Hmm , They come to any address in london and pick up the pod ,without handing over any cash :rolleyes: .
Think it was described as spam the last time it was posted
Wasn't you was it ?
:spam:
John
 
johnscarlet said:
Hmm , They come to any address in london and pick up the pod ,without handing over any cash :rolleyes: .
Think it was described as spam the last time it was posted
Wasn't you was it ?
:spam:
John

Well put
 
K

kayak897

Guest
johnscarlet, what are you talking about?

I recently searched on google and came across them since I was looking to sell my ipod. Can I not discuss on this forum the subject of the best way of selling iPods? Maybe the forum moderator can assist?
 

John

Moderator
I was doubting my comments , cos I tried a search to find the original and couldn't. Guess it was deleted :D
Had a closer look at the site . 35% commision on final sale price :rotfl: who are they trying to kid.
Better off using ebay yourself , and not releaseing goods until you have your money in your grubby mitts , all 100% of it.
Still , atleast they take proffessional photos of it .

anyone not know what an Ipod looks like ?
Anyone ?
:boring: :spam: :boring:
Js
 
K

kayak897

Guest
Apparently they are succesfully selling iPods for their customers. See their auctions on http://stores.ebay.co.uk/HipSnap-Ltd
Currently, they have 4 iPods on sale. One can exactly see the state of the iPods by looking at the photos they took.
I might contact them anyway, just to see what the possibilities are. Maybe they are willing to negotiate on the commission. Will let you know!
 

John

Moderator
kayak897 said:
I might contact them anyway, just to see what the possibilities are. Maybe they are willing to negotiate on the commission. Will let you know!
List it yourself and only pay the Ebay fee , its not hard . 35% is a big whack for something that you can do yourself for next to nothing in comparison.
JS
 
K

kayak897

Guest
I have done a comparison while selling 2 iPods 3G 30GB (one was my friend's, the other was mine).
- The first one I sold myself on eBay, and did all the work including waiting for 10 minutes at the post office to ship the item. All together it took me 3-4 hours or so. I sold it for 125 pounds.
- The second one I asked HipSnap to sell for me. I didn't have to do anything, they actually came the same day to pick up the iPod. They gave me a contract and they did the all the hassle of selling and finally sold it for 165 pounds. They apparently know how to get the highest price. Then they took their commission, and within a few days I had 107.25 pounds in my bank account. How easy was that! Okay, I got a bit less money than my friend, but what a time saver this is! And you don't run any risks.

So, now that I have tried it for myself, I would definitely recommend them to you guys.
 

Tipsy

Standard Member
ha ha sounds like lazyness to me id rather have the extra £18! I have an ebay rating of 35 ebayer and ive found that it becomes quicker and easier to sell stuff on ebay as you sell more and more stuff. Just think you could of sold it for £165 yourself. All you need it to perfect your selling skills and keep the auction details short and succinct and you would of got that money easily
 

John

Moderator
kayak897 said:
- The second one I asked HipSnap to sell for me.
According to their site , their auctions are 10 days long ? You only asked the question about selling on the 21st st .Did you manage to get them to reduce the length of their auctions but not their charge :D
I appologise if your not a spammer , but you have it written all over you
John
 
K

kayak897

Guest
They indeed do auctions of 10 days. You read that well, johnscarlet. However, since I was in a hurry, I asked to shorten the duration.

Tipsy, that's really good of you: a rating of 35! Of course I can start selling lots of stuff on eBay and learn. And maybe after 35 sales I can become as proficient in selling as you and spend less time. But who wants to start selling that much!? Firstly, I don't have the time. Secondly, I don't have that much to sell!

Nah, I'd leave it to other people who have the skills and time to do it. That's my opinion. But thank you for your opinions anyway. I appreciate them.
 

JUS

Well-known Member
Blimey! I give someone 35% of the final selling price for them to sell on ebay. Sounds a great deal to me. :eek:

Wonder if I could get the same deal selling me house and car. :rotfl:
 

fraggle

Active Member
Totally agree with John
:spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam:

with a side order of Eggs and Chips too...

If this isn't spam then why do you insist on putting a full URL in every post? And have nothing but praise for them? And no doubts?

Heck, anyone could come to your door, give you a "contract" and walk off with your iPod. Did they show ID? How do you know they're from the same place?

As to making professional Ebay ads, just look at theirs and copy it changing the relevant bits. (or make a good ad yourself, it ain't hard)

As to stopping low feedback bidders, just state you reserve the right to remove bids as you see fit. You can then check the bidders feedback and if its bad delete their bids.

As to clawback via PayPal, don't use em. Use bank transfers or cash.

:offtopic: :spam: :oops: :censored:
 
W

washout

Guest
fraggle said:
Totally agree with John
:spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam:

with a side order of Eggs and Chips too...

If this isn't spam then why do you insist on putting a full URL in every post? And have nothing but praise for them? And no doubts?

Heck, anyone could come to your door, give you a "contract" and walk off with your iPod. Did they show ID? How do you know they're from the same place?

As to making professional Ebay ads, just look at theirs and copy it changing the relevant bits. (or make a good ad yourself, it ain't hard)

As to stopping low feedback bidders, just state you reserve the right to remove bids as you see fit. You can then check the bidders feedback and if its bad delete their bids.

As to clawback via PayPal, don't use em. Use bank transfers or cash.

:offtopic: :spam: :oops: :censored:
if i followed ur advice i wouldnt get a tenner for it. no one will bid on an item unless they think they will get it as advertised. full stop. that means no paypal, no sale. no feedback, no sale.
people like thirdparties provide a valuable service. i would say it probably is spam though unless u can point us to your auction that ended early.
 

Judders

Standard Member
washout said:
if i followed ur advice i wouldnt get a tenner for it. no one will bid on an item unless they think they will get it as advertised. full stop. that means no paypal, no sale. no feedback, no sale.
people like thirdparties provide a valuable service. i would say it probably is spam though unless u can point us to your auction that ended early.
Disagree. I've seen plenty of auctions that state similar to the above, or comments along the lines of 'People with 0 or negative feedback contact me before bidding...' etc. Never put me off bidding. But then I don't have 0/negative and always have every intention of following through with my purchases. As for thirdparties.....aren't eBay the third party here? what would that make stealmyipod, the fourth party?? ;)

kayak897 - talk about obvious!!! :rotfl: instead of spamming forums, why don't you stump up the cash and advertise your/your friends/mums business through the normal channels like everyone else?! :spam:
 

Judders

Standard Member
kayak897 said:
I have done a comparison while selling 2 iPods 3G 30GB (one was my friend's, the other was mine).
- The first one I sold myself on eBay, and did all the work including waiting for 10 minutes at the post office to ship the item. All together it took me 3-4 hours or so. I sold it for 125 pounds.
- The second one I asked HipSnap to sell for me. I didn't have to do anything, they actually came the same day to pick up the iPod. They gave me a contract and they did the all the hassle of selling and finally sold it for 165 pounds. They apparently know how to get the highest price. Then they took their commission, and within a few days I had 107.25 pounds in my bank account. How easy was that! Okay, I got a bit less money than my friend, but what a time saver this is! And you don't run any risks.

So, now that I have tried it for myself, I would definitely recommend them to you guys.
And if you need further proof, check out their feedback HipSnap eBay feedback they've only ever sold one ipod and it went for £95 :rolleyes:

What a load of :censored:!!
 

Judders

Standard Member
Ok, I promise this is the last one ;) ...... but I just googled HipSnap and.......it just so happens to be a Kayaking manoeuver! :rolleyes:

Very funny!!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
 

John

Moderator
Judders said:
Ok, I promise this is the last one ;) ...... but I just googled HipSnap and.......it just so happens to be a Kayaking manoeuver! :rolleyes:

Very funny!!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

:rotfl: :smashin:
js
 
K

kayak897

Guest
Judders said:
And if you need further proof, check out their feedback HipSnap eBay feedback they've only ever sold one ipod and it went for £95 :rolleyes:

What a load of :censored:!!
That's because the buyer of my iPod hasn't given the feedback to HipSnap yet! I checked it with HipSnap and they confirmed this.

HipSnap indeed have sold only a few iPods, that's why I asked for your opinions. Apparently, they started their business a month ago. But as one of their first customers, I am very happy with them.

Finally, according to http://stores.ebay.co.uk/HipSnap-Ltd the company is selling now 5 iPods in a week time. Not bad for a start-up, I suppose!
 
K

kayak897

Guest
washout said:
if i followed ur advice i wouldnt get a tenner for it. no one will bid on an item unless they think they will get it as advertised. full stop. that means no paypal, no sale. no feedback, no sale.
people like thirdparties provide a valuable service. i would say it probably is spam though unless u can point us to your auction that ended early.
I will ask HipSnap to provide me with the link to the auction. I am not sure if it's still available since the auction has ended.

I'll let you know.
 

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX 4K OLED TV Review: The best TV of 2020?

Latest News

Philips online events to replace IFA 2020 attendance
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Marantz announces 8K ready SR series AV Receivers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ennio Morricone: Legendary film composer dies aged 91
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 5th July 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Sky comedy panel shows back to film new series
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Top Bottom