Question Who has a dash cam that covers this?

nikonuser11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are a plethora of dash cams, but I'm hoping someone else has, or has knowledge of, a dash cam that covers these questions. Thanks for any positive input.

1) MUST be HD, real HD, crystal clear and non blurry
2) Must cover front and back
3) Must be discreet i.e hidden behind the rear view mirror would be ideal
4) Motion detection for parked car and video security when or if in an accident
5) Starts when car starts, no fiddling around with starting it
6) Sound as well
7) Wide angle coverage

Nice to haves would be the ability to easily swivel if I needed to capture something extreme right or left.
Not bothered if it has a screen or not, probably not to keep the size down.

I've seen cams that cover some but not all of these so any help appreciated.

what do you mean by front and back? in the dash cam world, back can be the back of the vehicle or the interior of the vehicle.

cheers!

My step dad has just bought the nextbase 512 and you can get a rear camera seperate for around £35-40, if both cameras set up they both run at 1080p, the front camera does 1440p without the rear camera attached, it discreetly fits behind the mirror and if you bought the wiring kit you can attach it to a live fuse so the camera starts when you start the ignition, also has a g sensor? for if your car gets a bump while parked up it will start recording, all in it was around £220 for front and rear, with sd card and wiring kit, there are probably others that do a similiar or better job too

I have read nextbase are notorious for the lithium ion batteries failing. You have an accident, switch the engine off and it dies before saving the recording, assuming it works in the first place.

Some other brands have capacitors so can keep running for a while after you switch the engine off and at least save the recording.

1) go for something with at least 1080p for front facing
2) whether you mean cabin-facing or a rearview camera, 720p should be good enough
3) I would not recommend those that stick of clip on behind the mirror, lots of bad reviews and poor quality ones
4) most modern dash cams come equipped with this feature
5) most modern dash cams come equipped with this feature
6) most modern dash cams come equipped with this feature
7) get any cam with at least 150-degree view (170 ideal)

I got mine on amazon (3"; front+rear; 170-degree angle), its been working fine for now and I just got my son this one for Christmas (4", front; 150-degree angle), he's happy with it so far.

if you have the budget you can go for a garmin such as this one but they are way to pricey IMO

stay away from using a smartphone or an action cam (gopro) as they will not satisfy your 2nd, 4th and 5th criteria.

Last edited:
Forget Nextbase, they're crap. The only reason they're the number one seller is because they're cheap and sold everywhere.

You want one of these, they're not cheap but you get what you pay for. I have the 1 channel version in my SL and it's invisible under the rear view mirror

https://www.blackvue.com/dr590w-2ch/

This one is the daddy and the front camera records in 4K

https://www.blackvue.com/dr900s-2ch/

For parking mode you will need to use a powerbank or similar otherwise you will flatten the cars battery

Last edited:
I've been reading up and viofo a129 seems to get positive reviews.

Just installed a Viofo a129 Duo for my Dad after spending the last month reading reviews etc... Seems to do everything you want, seems pretty good so far.

I was looking at the backvue DR900S-2CH, but at around £499 compared to the viofo 129 at around £130 there's no way to justify it. You can have nearly 4 viofo for the price of 1 backvue. The cloud wifi option on the backvue is interesting, but this will only work when parked close to your home/work, otherwise it's portable wifi hotspot time. I'm not even sure you can register it on more than one wifi network. And of course it could get nicked.

Last edited:
I was looking at the backvue DR900S-2CH, but at around £499 compared to the viofo 129 at around £130 there's no way to justify it. You can have nearly 4 viofo for the price of 1 backvue. The cloud wifi option on the backvue is interesting, but this will only work when parked close to your home/work, otherwise it's portable wifi hotspot time. I'm not even sure you can register it on more than one wifi network. And of course it could get nicked.

Go for this instead then

BlackVue DR590W-2CH 16GB with Rear Dash Cam and SD Card

Tbf that's probably more comparable to the viofo. I just can't help gravitating to the top of the range one. I wonder how they both compare? The viofo is still cheaper though and probably doesn't offer less. I do prefer the look of the backvue.

IMO the viofo is hideous, you don't need a screen so Blackvue put that cost towards image quality and just as important - software.

IMO the viofo is hideous, you don't need a screen so Blackvue put that cost towards image quality and just as important - software.

that's a good point but i kinda like the screen. definitely not required though

230 euro for a cam with no screen :/
A screen is not important, image quality is. What would be the point of having a screen if the sensor can’t read numberplates. The money has to go somewhere and blackvue spend on software and image quality. The video is viewed via WiFi on your phone making a built in screen redundant. This makes the unit more discreet too and easier to hide behind the rear view mirror.

Noticed no one has mentioned the Vantrue N2 Pro..
Got one myself last week (Hardwired into the fuse board - 12v) and it covers everything that the OP is looking for. Really popular with Taxi Drivers as it is 1080p HD front and rear (into the cabin) with motion detection parking mode, G-shock and infra red for the dark.

The only thing it really lacks against the Blackvue options is an mobile App and Cloud sync via WiFi. Personally I could live without them as I just put a 256GB micro SD card in it, so will last for ages with the file rotation system.

Great Dash Cam for the price.

Noticed no one has mentioned the Vantrue N2 Pro..
Got one myself last week (Hardwired into the fuse board - 12v) and it covers everything that the OP is looking for. Really popular with Taxi Drivers as it is 1080p HD front and rear (into the cabin) with motion detection parking mode, G-shock and infra red for the dark.

The only thing it really lacks against the Blackvue options is an mobile App and Cloud sync via WiFi. Personally I could live without them as I just put a 256GB micro SD card in it, so will last for ages with the file rotation system.

Great Dash Cam for the price.
Ive got a Vantrue T2 and its ok, it ticks all the boxes and is good value for the money, i may upgrade as need a rear camera too

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom