Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AB negative

• Ro subtype

• Total voters
I was in for donation No.5 on Monday :)

Really glad I signed up :)

Had Jacob's Mini Cheddars at last session a few weeks ago, forgot how good they were ... ended up at Tesco straight after and bought a couple of packs of the full size Cheddars

I had Oreos yesterday.

Had the best offerings at a local synagogue - fresh baked treats (I presume that NHSBT's stock of goodies are not Kosher), very nice! I expect it's a similar situation at all donor sessions which take place in synagogues and mosques.

^^^ that's truly amazing Doug - fighting and beating the needle phobia and helping others in the process :thumbsup:

EDIT ... btw, you should be receiving a badge and certificate to mark your 10th donation

I got my badge and certificate last week :clap:

I gave my badge to my 10 yr old girl, who was really proud of me :):thumbsup:

My last Platelet donation was 2nd September - went on holiday on 3rd to Mauritius, so had a 28-day wait when I got back. Then I had to have my gallbladder out (26th October) and last night had the all-clear from the consultant, so rang the WBS clinic this morning and they offered me Friday morning, so straight back on the horse!!!
It's weird how you miss donating when you've been doing it for a long time and so regularly (normally every 3 weeks).

Donation 115 last night (platelets). Was asked to do a triple next time I attend in Jan so looking forwards to that. 90 mins in the chair though :O

I've never had a bad experience with them, until now.
The needle went in ok but it felt like it was burning my arm all the while it was in. I genuinely struggled to continue til they said I was finished and I honestly don't remember him swabbing my arm first. (I was distracted by watching my partner next to me as she is a relative noobie). Hopefully that was a one off as I reach my 50th next year hopefully.
Well bugger me, donated again yesterday at a different location miles away from where the above happened and got the same nurse. What are the odds? Anyway, he definitely swabbed my arm this time and it didn't feel as bad during the donation. Maybe he was just new.
Three more til my 50th, not that I'm counting or anything.

I'm somewhere between 25 and 50 now, platelets too. Although it's been a while, first due to antibiotics then I managed to catch a cold, sigh. Back to it in the first week of the new year :)

After over 3 months off due to holidays, surgery and man-flu (which got in the way of my planned donation as per previous post), I finally got to get back to platelet donating yesterday :)

There will be shortages over the holiday period, especially as it's a 4-day break, so if you get a chance to squeeze out a pint of blood before the weekend, please try and do so.

Someone will need it...

While giving my 10th donation today, I spoke to a lady who was giving her 65th. Amazing.
I urge all people to give blood.
NHSBT Blood Donation

Had my session this afternoon. Hell of a wait though due to staff shortage and the fact that everyone was turning up for their booked appointments - I was told that the booking system allows for oversubscription with the assumption that many just don't turn up ... they may need to rethink that fudge factor.

Well having wanted to give blood for some time (and been unable to for a number of reasons), I finally had my first session today. Unfortunately it'll be my last :(. I was a little nervous before hand, but sat and gave blood without issue. I sat down after to have a brew and a biscuit and started feeling a little light headed, next thing I know I'm being attended to by a couple of the nurses, having fainted (and vomited while unconscious). I had eaten and drank plenty of fluids during the day in preparation but apparently less than 1% of people react in this way. I was advised that I shouldn't give blood in the future and had to call my wife to come get me as they advised me not to drive (had to leave car at the place). I also threw up in the car on the way home, this was over 3 hours ago and I still feel rough as hell.
Really disappointed as I'd so wanted to donate for the reasons given earlier in this thread.

My dad gives blood a lot.

He went for some tests at the docs and they found he was anemic.

So they send him to the hospital for a camera up and down and can't find anything.

So he goes back to the doctors where it finally clicks to him.... it's because he gives blood!!!!

So he had to go through all that for nothing. Although he did say at least he's now had a good examination!

He has to wind the giving blood right down now.

@TylerDurden - Sorry to hear of your difficulties, such a shame. Hope you feel better quickly.

@sparkie1984 - rather than give up altogether, speak too your dad about trying platelet donation. They take the whole blood, centrifuge and filter it and return the red cells, so he'll still be helping people without risking his own health. He could also look at taking a daily multivitamin with added iron.

Just back from my latest session, and took a little more notice of the donor booklet they give you, in light of recent posts and that I was told that I was close to anaemic on a recent health check.

Anyway, took this pic re platelet donation and iron deficiency ...

20170518_150448.jpg

20170518_162508.jpg

... platelet donation might not be good for someone already anaemic/iron deficient

Would love to be able to donate blood but cannot due to a childhood medicine which means I am high risk for CJD.... can donate organs as the recipients/their representatives can be asked if they want to run the risk but not tissue and blood :(

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom