1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who (generally) makes the best quality TV's?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Captain chaos, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Captain chaos

Captain chaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering, for general value for money, and picture / sound quality who makes the best CRT TVs?

Is there any particular model or manufacturer you should stay away from when buying TV's.
    I know about certain TVs having reliablity issues like the Tosh Picture Frame 1.

Or is there any particular brand you would stay loyal to?

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Ermm! Well I have had good experience with Sony, avoid the cheap stuff!!!

Add to the list below

SLF1UB
    TTF1UB
    14" TV
    DCTRV33
    330 MD
    Car head unit

3. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Sony, as a rule of thumb, make the best quality CRTs. However, you also pay a premium for them - case in point, I was recently shopping for a 14" portable and a Sony model was £180. In the end, I bought a Toshiba for £110. No way was I prepared to pay double.

Any TV from one of the big manufacturers - i.e. Panasonic, Toshiba, Phillips etc. would be a good bet if you don't want to shell out for a Sony.

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony are no longer the best TV makers- there are no "best" TV manu. around, as a Philips P+ is rubbish, wheras a standard Philips 50hz set is very good. Same for Sony, there are good sets and bad sets- same for Toshiba, and Loewe.

5. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Depends on the model. But I always check out Panasonic :)

6. Captain chaos

Captain chaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why do some TV's when placed side by side, look really different in terms of colour / brightness / clarity

Is it down to the quality of the tube?

I have recently questioned the quality of Sony's TV sets after experiencing a number of problems with them.

Also I heard that all Sony TV's made in the last (8 years?) have 2 thin black lines 1 pixel tall running the entire width of the screen.
    My 24" Sony has them, as does my 14" portable.

7. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +631
    A few years ago Sony would of have been my choice, but these day's it seems to be pot luck if you get a good one from any manufacturer.

After my recent nightmare with Sony & Philips, that is well documented in several threads on this site, I ended up with a Loewe that has put the others to shame, it has a near perfect picture & Geometry with no digital nasties. I know the tube is the same as my previous Philips P+ set, but the difference in the picture is staggering.

I think the main problem with all brands these days is quality control, or lack of it. Look at how many people complain about a particular set only to here another load of people say how good it is.

mij

8. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic make some excellent TVs and are as reliable as CRT TVs can be.

Picture wise, at sensible money, I would say Toshiba have it sewn up, although their QA isn't too clever.

Loewe and Metz are probably the best overall quality/best made TVs though.

9. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The Trinitron stablising wires are there because there is no shadow mask, just a shadow grill. look closely at both types of screen.

I don't get on with mask TV tubes.

Quality

Well the best made is my 20year old portable - still working - use it in the caravan.

The 32" however has a stunning picture, excellent DVB-T tuner and it is 50Hz:rotfl: (Sony 50Hz TVs and basic 100Hz appear to be trouble free).

Personally the best tube TV would have a recent Sony tube & tuner but 20 year old Sony build quality, and someone elses quality control. And set up by a perfectionist engineer.

10. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    I think reliability now is much of a muchness as most are in the 90% range reliability wise. Even the el cheapo sets are pretty damn reliable even with their crappy resolution and am radio speakers. I think Loewe are probably the best out there for QC but that doesn't mean there isn't issues with the specification some times. Just like cars the same manufacturers can produce brilliant designs and poor designs. The only real advice I can say is buy a model at the end of its shelve life. By that time you'll be able to find out if the model is generally very reliable and good and of course pick one up with a massive discount. Buy the latest gear just as it comes out your more likely to run into problems.

Basically a model gets introduced and there are problems with it in terms of reliabiility and its features. 4 months later a new chassis for the same set comes fixing those problems but adding a few new ones. Then finally 8 months in you get the final version of the chassis/pcb which is hopefully near perfect. Then after that comes the replacement model and all the problems start again. As a general guide thats how it works. Of course not all final designs are best but as a general rule they are.

11. CMcK

CMcK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Straight from Electric Town's news archive.

http://www.wvip.co.uk/news/frame.html?http://www.wvip.co.uk/cgi-bin/news.php?id=3330

I have bought and owned TV's from Hitachi, Sony, Panasonic, Phillips, Pye and Loewe.

I would rate the Loewe top overall for build quality, picture quality, ease of use, connectivity and sound. Everything in fact.

The Sony sets I've owned have been OK but always had little niggles that made you wonder where the extra money had gone. They certainly don't live up to the top quality image and hype that exists around Sony products.

The few Panasonic sets I've used have always impressed especially the sound quality.

I still use a Hitachi set for games consoles and my Supergun. But it seems some Hitachi sets don't like a slighty higher voltage input signal from some of the devices I use.

12. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    seven years ago I would have said Sony but not nowdays. There are some interesting Loewe, Philips and Pannasonics but my vote will probably go to Toshiba.

13. Captain chaos

Captain chaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it true that Sony products are no longer made in Japan?

14. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, Sony TV's are made in Wales. I wonder why Sony QC control is so bad now? hmmm... when Sony moved production to Wales that's when I dropped interest in Sony TV's. Strange just after the Wales factory opened Sony QC dropped.

Sony PC CRT monitors are still made in Japan though.

15. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Sony's are made in Bridgend in South wales and I think most Panasonic's are made in Pentwyn in Wales, but I don't think that is the problem.
    The quality control on most main stream products are poor. They only test something like 1 in 1000 TV's. Sure the tv's pass certain tests before they leave the production line, but not to the extent that us the consumer would like.
    I think most of us would like a tv which was checked 120% now wouldn't we.

16. Fe+

Fe+

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    my family have sworn by sony for years but i have been a panasonic chap for a while with pals inthe business adament panasonic with the best pictures ans reliabiulity for the last 6 years...

fe+

17. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought an early Sony Wega (kv28fx20) which I've had for four years, and I've never had a single problem with it, not even a small niggle with some aspect of It's picture.

However, a friend, impressed by my set, went out and got himself a higher spec Sony (kv32fx60) and had nothing but problems with it. It seems that whether or not you end up with a reliable set depends purely on luck, regardless of the brand you go for.

On the quality control issue, a company that I worked for completely scrapped all quality control. It wasn't a manufacturer of electrical products such as Sony or Panasonic, but it was a major component distributor to both companies, and was even in the FTSE 100. While the operation was different, the mentality of the management was the same, their outlook being why let a little thing like quality interfere with productivity.

All of their promotional guff was full of the usual "we offer the highest levels of commitment to our customers" when the reality was that the customers were being relied on to find faults with items that should never have left the warehouse.

18. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,070
    I suspect that the problem with Sony nowadays is

- poor quality control - their designs are generally excellent and Trinitron is (IMO) the best tube type theoretically, but are too often not set up right and/or manufactured to too wide tolerances

- PLUS a sort of corporate arrogance that makes Sony tend to believe that problems are in the minds of consumers, rather than their products.

Witness their recent prolonged denial that the 'scrolling bar' problem was real.

Shame, because, as I say, a well configured Sony will beat much of the competition hands down. It's just that the chances of getting a well built one are too low.

19. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well the FX20 above and my DX20 prove that Sony CAN be excellent when they try.

The SGTV also proves this.

However the early DRCMF do show up poor quality control.

And also all companies are in the hands of their suppliers.

I suppose I feel safe buying their goods as they are usually pretty good. The same can also be said of a few other companies eg Pioneer

20. Tommo24

Tommo24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Sony because I liked the set (FS76) and partly due to the reputation. Have I been proved wrong!!!

My 3rd FS76 is at the engineers even though they cannot say what the problem is, who they are going to fix it, and even Sony claim they don't know???

I am going to try a 4th if the engineers cannot fix this set, if that one has problems I'm going to start looking around. I almost wish I'd just got a cheap LG, at least then I wouldn't expect the best and could live with the odd niggle.

Overall, from talking to friends, family work colleagues and viewing threads online, all large CRTS are a bit of a lottery. But in my opinion quality control has gone out of the window.

Regards

Tom

21. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I totally agree with Tom

but be carefull , changing makes won't garrantee you a good set

I had four Panny PB50's before I switched to Sony

22. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Before I bought my jvc 32d25 widescreen I always thought sony was the best crt tvs but your stupid if you go and fork out a lot of money on just reputation. Well I can tell you sony have fallen behind somewhat. Although their tvs are pretty good their not for the price they cost. For instance the sony fq80 is a great tv but not as good imo as the jvc for definition and more costly! why should I pay for brand , when I can get better performance cheaper.?

23. aood42

aood42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i use to work for philips manufacturing tv tubes and most of the tubes went in to every other manufactures tv sets. (not sony)

24. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    In terms of the tubes Sony Panasonic and Philips are the best makes of CRT ( LG Philips have a joint CRT plant in Newport that is closing soon) Sony are made in Bridgend and Pnansonuc just out side cardiff???? Loewe use mainly philips tubes and LG Philips CRT plant makes PC monitors and sel the duff tubes for TV use to a mixture of people!!!!
    Personally the Best TV is Loewe/Panasonic/Tosh. Best tubes are Panasonic or Philips.
    PS anyone know who makes the 40" CRT tube Loewe uses???
    Best 36" tube defo Panny but but best 36" TV is a tosh strange, no????

25. narabdela

narabdela

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    JVC 50hz sets are superb at the moment.

:smashin: :smashin:

26. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Hornydragon,

The 40" tube used on the 40" Aconda is made (believe it or not) by Thomson. This tube was used by Thomson in a set they only sold in America, and was marketed under the Proscan brand. The model number was the Proscan PS38000.

Regards,

Bob.

27. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    hornydragon

hI , Im surprised you have not mentioned the jvc 32d25 model which is slightly cheaper about 200 pounds than the aconda but delivers outstanding picture quality that simply amazes me,

If you like a lot of detail then this set is for you. But some people like a soft picture and ask to turn down the sharpness. Actually recently I went to see Matrix reloaded at the movie theatre and the closeups seemed blurry and not detailed compared to what the jvc can produce on closeups.

these sets are produced somewhere in england (i think coventry) and Im just curious if anyone knows what the tube of these sets are. It could be various types.

28. leeoh

leeoh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Evans,

I saw the JVC DIST at a show last year and the rep said the tube used was an HD tube from Toshiba.

29. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    leeoh

thanks for the info , actually when you look at the tube of this set it looks black compared to the grey of most other tube colours Ive seen.

30. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Isn't it true that the fundamental difference between conventional TVs and Sony's Trinitron has a bearing over picture quality? What I mean is how the phosphors of each pixel are laid on the screen, I think its something like this (correct me if I'm wrong):

Sony:
    RGB 1 electron gun split with a prism

Other: R
    GB 3 seperate electron guns

The RGB arangement of sony are three tightly packed elements like: ||| , but in real terms a lot closer together to form a squareish picture element or pixel. On conventional tellys each of the elements of the triangular RGB pattern are dot shaped and form a triangle.

One electron gun split by a prism system means that each electron beam is focused more accurately on its respective phosphor. Three seperate electron guns can't converge as accurately over the whole surface of the screen.

I'm led to beleive that the Trinitron tube has a better picture due to this, though I'm unsure why. To me Sony tellys always look to have a crisper picture.

If you look closely at a trinitron when on something with bold colours like Teletext you will see that the result is that the picture is laid on as almost solid bars of vertical colour:

||||||||||||||||
    ||||||||||||||||
    ||||||||||||||||

(tightly packed and almost without the vertical gaps)

Perhaps someone can improve my understanding further but it's something to think about anyway!