Who else has a Conroe?

BadAss

Banned
Finaly taking the dual processor plunge and ordered the Conroe E6600. :clap:

It also means a swop from an AGP X800 to a PCI-E X1900GT.

Looking at some benchmarks and it seems this CPU is 4x faster than my old socket 478 3.4 P4! P4 480 3DMark2006 - E6600 2136 3D marks.

So who else has one?

Attachments

Sephiro

I'm looking at the E6600 for my next upgrade but I'm going to wait for the prices to come down a bit first. Like you I've currently got an AGP X800 XT, which I paid quite a bit for, and upgrading now would mean that I'd have to ditch it, so I'm going to stick with my current rig for a bit longer to get some more use out of it.

sibeer

I've just put together an overclocked 6300 on a Gigabyte 965-DS4. Happily running at 2.8 Ghz x2 for about 200 quid plus VAT.

My advise is not to get this board though and to choose your RAM very carefully. I have had a nightmare getting this stable due to problems from the G-Skill RAM and the motherboard. Now that it is running though it is pretty damn fast :smashin: .

BadAss

Banned
I went for the Gigabyte GA_965P_DQ6. Don't ask me why I just liked the look of the heatpipes.:rolleyes:

Does anyone know the differences between the DQ6 and DS3/4?

sibeer

The most stable one to overclock on at the mo is actually the DS3 (the cheapest) The DQ6 just has a few more bells and whistles than the DS4 (better sound card for instance). I went for the DS4 as the cheapest with heatpipes and dual PCI x16. Hopefully they will improve with new bios as there is no reaon for them not to be ace.

With the memory it seems to be fussy with RAM that needs high voltage or has a CAS over 3. God knows why, again it doesn't seem to be affecting the DS3 as much. If you don't plan on heavy overclocking I doubt you will have much grief though :)

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
BadAss said:
Finaly taking the dual processor plunge and ordered the Conroe E6600. :clap:

It also means a swop from an AGP X800 to a PCI-E X1900.

Looking at some benchmarks and it seems this CPU is 4x faster than my old socket 478 3.4 P4! P4 480 3DMark2006 - E6600 2136 3D marks.

So who else has one?
I should have by tomorrow :clap:

I'm also going from an X800XT to a X1900XT

spec will be:
E6600
Scythe Ninja Plus Heatpipe CPU Cooler
Gigabyte GA_965P_DS3
Enermax Liberty ELT620AWT 620w PSU
GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel Kit
HIS ATI Radeon X1900 XT ICEQ 3 SILENT Heatpipe 512MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI
Western Digital Raptor 74GB WD740ADFD 10,000RPM SATA 16MB Cache
Hitachi Deskstar 7K500 NCQ 500GB SATA-II 16MB Cache
Antec P180B case
+DVD writer/soundcard/freeview card and 3 hard drives from my current machine

I've not upgraded for a couple of years, can't wait, it should be a beast :devil: :clap:

BadAss

Banned
pRot3us said:
I should have by tomorrow :clap:

I'm also going from an X800XT to a X1900XT

spec will be:
E6600
Scythe Ninja Plus Heatpipe CPU Cooler
Gigabyte GA_965P_DS3
Enermax Liberty ELT620AWT 620w PSU
GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel Kit
HIS ATI Radeon X1900 XT ICEQ 3 SILENT Heatpipe 512MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI
Western Digital Raptor 74GB WD740ADFD 10,000RPM SATA 16MB Cache
Hitachi Deskstar 7K500 NCQ 500GB SATA-II 16MB Cache
Antec P180B case
+DVD writer/soundcard/freeview card and 3 hard drives from my current machine

I've not upgraded for a couple of years, can't wait, it should be a beast :devil: :clap:
We shall have very similar machines.:smashin:

Ive also gone for the GeIL 2GB but the the cheaper HIS X1900GT 256MB. I decided to wait for DX10 and Crysis before spending alot on a new GPU.

I know these MB dont take Crossfire atm but will they take the new dual core GPU in the future?

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
BadAss said:
I know these MB dont take Crossfire atm but will they take the new dual core GPU in the future?
If its on a single card then yes they should work just like the GeForce 7950 cards do

sibeer

Good choice on the Geil RAM,

Seems to be the best budget stuff with the Gigabyte Mobo's

Repton

Novice Member
As you can see from my sig, this machine is pretty fast

3dMARK06 score of 5113 so far.

booyaka

Eomer said:
As you can see from my sig, this machine is pretty fast

3dMARK06 score of 5113 so far.
that seems a bit low - my rig was scoring just shy of 5k in 06 with a 4400 @ 2.4ghz and ONLY a X1900Xt not the XT-x

would have thought that it should have been more than that?

still an nice setup!

AML

What would be the best mo bo to use with a core 2?

Im starting to think about building a core 2 PC, but not yet.

I just wonder what the best board would be or if its best to wait for better boards.

I would imagine that since the cpu is new that its going to take a while for good mobos to come out.

booyaka

AML said:
What would be the best mo bo to use with a core 2?

Im starting to think about building a core 2 PC, but not yet.

I just wonder what the best board would be or if its best to wait for better boards.

I would imagine that since the cpu is new that its going to take a while for good mobos to come out.
hit the nail on the head - some teething problems with the first bunch of boards and also they can be fairly costly £120 plus! DS3/DS4 etc badaxe boards.

I would wait a couple of months for some more boards to hit the market and then build if you not desperate to do it now, IMHO

zedzed

Novice Member
From what I've read it's not really the boards themselves - more the BIOS versions that are a little tempremental.

If you're not planning on overclocking though you should be fine now ... but I think it is best to wait a month or two and take it from there - that's what I'm doing (although the wait is killing me ... currently running an AMD 2400+ socket A on a £35 PCChips 848ALU motherboard - argh!)

Dez

Repton

Novice Member
booyaka said:
that seems a bit low - my rig was scoring just shy of 5k in 06 with a 4400 @ 2.4ghz and ONLY a X1900Xt not the XT-x

would have thought that it should have been more than that?

still an nice setup!
not done any overclocking on it, does it still seem low? any tips on increasing the score without extreme overclocking?

Repton

Novice Member
sunderland said:
thats vey low im getting 5950 on my rig and yours should kill mine.maybe you have over looked your settings

any examples of settings that i may have overlooked?

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
Eomer said:
any examples of settings that i may have overlooked?
Make sure you disable antialiasing and ansitropic filtering (application preference setting) when running 3DMark as this will lower your score and make it meaningless if trying to compare it to other peoples scores.

Repton

Novice Member
re-done test, score now 5952. (sm2.0 = 2093, hdr 2623 cpu 2519)

sunderland

Novice Member
just had a check about and thats about right for your system without overclocking m8 but you can take that baby up over 3.0ghz easy

Repton

Novice Member
updated graphics driver, ran test straight after reboot and just hit score of 6399 - a bit more respectable- (sm2 2419, hdr 2715, cpu 2520). That is without overclocking this baby and GPU!:)

Chanser

Waiting for the DFI RD600 board to come out. ;)

Should come with 3 PCI-E slots and hopefully great overclockability. :)

BadAss

Banned
Well I'm still waiting on the E6600.:( It seems these babys are selling like hot cakes. OcUK and Scan both out of stock! Now I have to wait until next week.:(

So I took the opportunity to change my order and switched camps from Gigabyte to Asus. After reading all the bad experiences people are having with the Bios/Ram compatibility I canceled the DQ6 and ordered the Asus P5W DH Deluxe WiFi which is Crossfire ready, should the need arise is the future.

I can't wait to play Far Cry all over again with some decent FPS.:thumbsup:

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
Oh my god, this machine is fast :eek: :D

I've had absolutely zero problems with this build, I've built many computers and theres always 'something' that needs sorting to get it fired up and running sweet.

I've not even played any games on it yet, still sorting out software and media, that I have messily spread across 7 hard drives :rolleyes: :blush:

I'm not sure if its the upgrade to the E6600, the geil ram,the x1900xt or the raptor system drive or the combined effect, but this machine is very quick, even with just desktop tasks everything is absolutely instant.

Gonna get Theatertek and other stuff set up for HTCP duties tonight, hopefully install NFS: Most Wanted if I get a chance.

BadAss said:
Well I'm still waiting on the E6600.:( It seems these babys are selling like hot cakes. OcUK and Scan both out of stock! Now I have to wait until next week.:(
Have you tried Novatech ? I got mine from there, decent price and fast delivery too :smashin:

Soulja

AVF TT Runner Up 06
Set up mine today(e6700,2gb geil memory etc...) and it's alot faster than my old 4400+ @ 2.7 ghz. i currently have it clocked at 3ghz and temps are nice and cool at 33 degrees :D

Trending threads

Top Bottom