1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who does crossoverless passive speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by buns, Nov 18, 2003.

1. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Imagine that, no passive crossover.... that would make it active but we dont talk about that here.....

2. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think some PMC can be actively amped with external powers...

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Depends on what you're after,buns....Linn and Naim as you rightly say have speakers intended for passive use with their internal crossovers,which can be used in active mode with external crossovers also(I've had Linn Keilidh's and Keltiks).
    ATC also produce active speakers,as do Meridian and many others,but these are designed for use with their own proprietary crossover designs.

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What im after is an active configuration but using my own amps (which are going to be rather expensive to change!).

I'll have to look into pmc, that woud interest me. I didnt realise they did something with an active crossover

thanks

ad

5. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    A lot of the gain of using active speakers is that the amps, drivers, and active crossover are all designed with each other in mind, and tweaked to get the very best out of each component. I'm sure you'll get some benefit from "activating" a pair of passive, crossover-less speakers with your own power amps, but I don't know that the improvement will be quite what you're hoping for...

Come to think of it, it's probably possible to degrade the sound quality if the active crossover isn't particularly well suited to the passive speakers' drivers!

Dunc

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Bryston,and if I remember,Krell,used to produce off-board active crossovers,with adjustable cut-off,and slopes for use with various speakers.....the Bryston crossovers are still available,and I would expect them to go well with PMC speakers,as they are marketing partners here in the UK.

Othen than that,as has been outlined above,matching an active crossover to a previously passive speaker can be a very complex business,in terms of driver matching,roll-off rates,phase etc.

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well I was rather intent on using a specifically designed acive crossover. But of course this is still just an idea. I have seen and heard of the quality of crossovers when compared to the total cost of a loudspeaker and, to me, that makes the benefits of passive biamping seem rather questionable. I hoped there was a way of making the very most of a biamped set up without having to limit my amps with the use of a passive crossover which isnt up to scratch.

Maybe this isnt the best idea from what you say and i would be better lookig simply to higher end passive designs.

thanks

ad

8. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    If you're into more esoteric brands then QTA Systems do a range of speakers, some variable from Passive internal to active external crossovers. They're beautifully built, I've heard the Apex 100 and a pair of the bookshelf models (HK10 I think) both of which sound great. I've been told the guy who makes them is an engineer who used to do work for NASA but decided speakers were more fun. That may not be true :)

9. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Avanzato! Those really are some lovely looking speakers and just the sort of thing I has in mind. Not too expensive either.

ad

10. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There where also Waveform from Canada, but they closed... :rolleyes: