Who delivers DVD the earliest?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Ace007, Oct 25, 2000.

1. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

Ok, I have seen posts by people who have received their DVD's a week (even earlier in some cases!)before a title is due for release. For those people can you please tell me which company or where you ordered them from. I live in the Middlesex area so if any of you guys know anywhere local where I can pick them up can you E-Mail me please (I remember one of you mentioned a computer fair, can you please provide me with further details).

At the moment I mainly use Play247 but found they can sometimes be unreliable. I know they have good prices but if they can't deliver on time what's the point!?!? They keep saying the item is out of stock and are unable to get supplies but every other company is able to supply it! I have also noticed that they source from Canada, is there any disadvantages to this as opposed to the states? I received the 2Disc version of T2UE which was no big deal for me it was still "AWESOME!" has anyone else noticed any BIG difference?

Many thanks

Ace007

P.S. Still waiting for "Pitch Black" from Play247!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    Oh no he's gone and got me started again now.

YOU pay YOUR money so you make YOUR choice. I believe that www.discemporium.com has the earliest release dates and are currently selling MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 2, but if you want to waste an extra £4 or more just to get a film early then friend you need your brains looking at ( IMHO )

Play ARE one of the cheapest and with the 150+ titles ive got off them only had one delay and that was with T2 special edition. The problem they have is that LOTS of people order from them and also customs occasionaly check the odd batch of stuff that is dispatched ( aparantly ) but I dont think paying 15.99 and having to wait four or five days is too much of a problem. is it ? I guess its up to you.

The other thing is this. These early sellers are breaking the law, if like in the UK the US publishers SET the realease dates. Where I work we get all stock that is to be realeased on a Monday the Friday lunchtime previous. If we sell any of this stock B4 then, then there is BIG trouble. I have know many big firms get some heavy fines for accidently selling new releases. The early selling goes on other here but is very much frowned on ( in my experience ) and one of the biggest for it is DISNEY who send reps around known early selling stores to catch them in the act. Now if the same is true in the US you can see why the publishers are getting ****ed and how they can DEFEND there regionalistion of DVDs.

Films such as PITCH BLACK are one of the few ( along with ROMEO MUST DIE and BLAIR WITCH ) which are realeased on R1 DVD B4 UK cinema, in the case on PITCH BLACK lots of BLOCKBUSTERS movies meant that its release date got pushed back from a summer to a late autumn date. Now argree that have regions is stupid but I can see why publishers want to discourage early selling

3. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes I have been using Disc Emporium since 1998 and 99% of discs arrive 2 weeks before the release date of the DVD!

The other 1% is a week before!

Fantastic service but as he says, you pay the extra £4

4. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick reply Duncan!

How would YOU feel if YOU found out YOU - Dunacn Ward - were actually paying a couple pounds extra for the luxury of waiting an extra four or five days? If YOU think thats ok then YOU need YOUR brains looking at! because it's possible that there is a supplier who can do it quicker and cheaper then the one YOU use......would'nt YOU like to know about it?

I see no point in posting negative responses. I was only seeing what everyone else's experiences were. I thought that was what the internet and forums was for sharing information? Duncan can you please enlighten us and tell us all what the internet and forums are for?

Yeah, Yeah we don't have to keep going on about regionalisation, but from your comments it sounds like you are working for the distributor or studio.

Whose side you on?

5. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    Yep, Discemporium are very fast.

Got my copy of Star Wars Episode 2 DVD from them today.

(only joking)

No really, they are very good.

6. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Just got Mission Impossible 2.

Won't say where from in case Duncan decides to report them.

Dave.

[This message has been edited by DaveH (edited 26-10-2000).]

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    C'mon Ace,
    Duncan wasn't having a go....we're all cheery chaps on this forum and you need to bear in mind that this kind of thread regarding earliest deliveries and cheapest costs have done the rounds many times.....at the end of the day,all we can do is let you know our experience of the different companies and then the rest is up to you! [​IMG]

Cheers,

Tom...

8. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    No i was not having a go at all ( cheers dogz ) all i was doing was expessing my opinion ( much as what forums are for )

Yes if I could find a supllier that are as reliable and as well served as play and get the films early for the same price then yes I would use them

All I was doing was telling you of my experience, i have worked in the customer service bit for the past 8 years and so I was just telling you of how suppliers react.

There is no way thay I would use discemporium as I can not be arsed to pay the extra money, its not that I cant afford it but whats the point. The majority of the films I get are not watched for a few days or even a week until after they arrive so I use play.

9. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    Ok after some browsing and helping hand from people in various other threads i have found this
    http://www.futureent.com/home.cgi

anyone care to try it, if there good, i will use them !!

MI2 in stock and 17.99

prices seem to be the same as PLAY

10. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Duncan,

That's Cool and the Gang, I just think we should maintain a helpful and happy atmosphere that's all I did'nt think that by you saying I needed my brains looking at was nice, but hey that's alright no hard feelings let's move on and help each other out.

Thanks for pointing out "Future Entertainment" I know this company has been around for a few years (have'nt checked up on them for ages!) but I have'nt seen any bad posts about them that I can remember! Does anyone else?

I will give them a call today and check them out if everything seems ok htem I may just go ahead and order MI:2

I will post back and let you guys know how I got on!

Oh and by the way I received my copy of "Pitch Black" yesterday, cool film but extras could and should have been better!

Cheers Ace007

P.S. Just to make it clear, I was trying to say that I did'nt like the fact that SOMETIMES you could wait up to and beyond 2 weeks AFTER a release date to receive a DVD from Play247 and considering others get theirs about 2 weeks BEFORE the release date, we are looking at about a whole month difference in total which is a long time to wait I think. I agree with you £4 on top soon adds up but may be willing to pay extra for selected titles i.e. Gladiator, I don't want to wait a month to have it after everyone else!

11. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh and thanks to everyone who has posted so far!

Nice one Ono was laughing at that one for ages!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I know most of these topics have done the rounds but things change, I'm only trying to keep up with the market to see if there are any new Cheap, reliable suppliers out there.

Thanks again guys! [​IMG]

12. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    How about this: I ordered U-571 from Futureent and it came in about 2 and a half days, then I saw that they were showing MI:2 in stock so I ordered that Wednesday night at around 7 O clock.... It arrived this morning, that's just over 1 day, about 2 weeks early!! Very nice.

------------------
    Tee

http://www.electronicreality.co.uk

13. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!

I just phoned them and asked how long will it take to deliver, they said I should receive it tomorrow or Monday, so I cancelled my order with Play247 and placed it with Future Entertainment

HOORAH!!!!!!

WATCH OUT PLAY IF THEY DELIVER AS PROMISED THEY GET MY FUTURE ORDERS (until they mess up hehehe [​IMG] )

I'll let you know when I get it!

14. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    Yep, Got MI:2 this morning from DEmp.

Delayed coz my postie is a lazy sod.

15. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    I dont believe this but, yesterday I emailed Play asking them about early selling and enquiring if they can get title early. In my mail I stated that I have seen a company selling MI2 for the same price as Play.

Now today upon checking my account I find that the option to cancel has gone from my copy of MI2 [​IMG] not sure whats going on but I guess another email is in order

16. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Duncan,

Give them a ring like I did, Oh and there's no charge for cancelling either so don't let them tell you otherwise!!!!

Good luck

P.S. does'nt sound like the actions of an honest comapany does it. I think alot of people may be getting fed up and are cancelling their orders maybe it's prompting Play247 to do something about it?

17. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,852
    Unlike Duncan, I AM happy to spend an extra few quid to get something nice and promptly. Actually I buy from a mixture of suppliers depending on the title. New blockbusters I get from LVS 01923 267060. My MI2 arrived this morning.

18. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nigel,

Do they have a web site we could check out?

How did you like MI:2?

Cheers

Ace

19. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    MI2 is now processing so ill wait.
    The max im prepared to pay is £18 but if I had seen the future site last week i would have ordered from there.

Anyway i handed my notice in yesterday and leave on the 8th of NOV. Im gonna go buy a B&W CDM CNT center speaker and spend 5 days watching films so i can wait

20. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Duncan,

What do you mean "MI2 is now processing"?

Does this mean Play247 will get it to you before the release date?

Did'nt they let you cancel your order?

What will you be doing in your new job?

Cheers

Ace

21. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,852
    Website is www.laservisual.com.

But don't get excited - it isn't up & running yet. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but the phone still seems to work!

22. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    Play have now posted my MI2, sent it on friday so should be here middle of next week, thats why I could not cancel as it was being processed.

Currently work for WH Smith [​IMG] but as of 13th nov will be starting a new job ( dont really wanna say what as its a bit secrative [​IMG] ) but its going to be completly different earn me twice as much and mean I have to be security vetted

23. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Definatly play247
    They've just notified me that MI2 has been posted.

24. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    LOL, got MI:2 on Friday.

Discemporium rulz ok. [​IMG]

25. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nigel,

Thanks for the link, don't get me wrong I just like to browse the web sites before making my order. I always order over the phone anyway.

Duncan,

Good news on your new job! and with Play247, I'm surprised they are shipping so early, what did you say in your E-Mail? I hope they are not messing you about! Please do let us know.

BTW I did'nt get my copy of MI:2 yesterday so I better get it tomorrow morning (I'm working tonight so I will be home just in time for Mr Posty [​IMG]). I'll let you know if I get it!

Cheers

Ace