1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who cares about Sky box ? (1) Europe has HDTV (2) Playstation 3

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by colonel_butt, Aug 4, 2005.

1. colonel_butt

colonel_butt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Wondered what you guys thought about alternatives to the sky box. People seem to really obsess about this, as if its the only option (which doesn't exist yet!).

(1) I watch European satellite alot, and the sky box is naff compared to the generic boxes you can currently get, and that will be available shortly for Europe satellite. I will probably be getting a DreamBox 8000 or ReelMedia which has component and un-encrypted DVI out. In addition, with a dragon CAM and/or internal emulators these boxes can show UK sky (with a valid viewing card inserted, of course). Hopefully these boxes and hackers will keep up with the sky launch date. But I certainly will be not restricted on what I watch, in what format, all because we have an unfortunate monopolistic satellite situation in this country.

Note that there are already 2 HDTV channels from hotbird, and a number of testing channels, including premiere. And they can all be picked up today from blighty using an Inverto or QualiTV, box.

(2) Playstation 3 will play HDTV films out of the box (new type of DVD called blueray). The playstation 2 is often credited with starting the consumer DVD revolution, perhaps number 3 will do this too.

(3) My Nvidia geforce card has HDTV via DVI or Component out (I think new ATIs do as well). There are some amazing samples of HDTV WMVs downloadable from MS, and online vendors are promising DRM salable/downloadable feature films soon.

In summary, I think there is a current and future HDTV that exists outside Sky and we should cultivate it. Any of you guys know any other examples I might have missed ?

2. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    You missed DVHS/DTheater. Players & films can be bought in the UK (NG03 & CRT Projectors) but they are cheaper to import from the states. The quality is stunning but the films are drying up quick !

As for Sky I know its monopolistic & pricey but I think its a great service, especially Football ! I want a PS3 for games & movie playback but realistically we cant get excited over a console destined for a 2007 release (unlike Sky HD).

:thumbsup:

3. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    When German Premier launches it's HD service you'll probably need a dedicated receiver and a viewing card - as you do at the moment for their SD service (and don't forget Sky (News Corp) are a major shareholder in Premier....)

Can't get away from them...

H

4. machinehead

machinehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    i also have been watching european sat for years and it's a way better option than paying fat ruport hundreds of pounds for repeats.as the colonel rightly said the choice is vast compared to sly.even most of the german fta tv channels have dd sound already.great when watching a concert.there is always something to watch with a rotating dish.it's like finding hidden treasure.after 12 years of this hobby it just keeps on getting better.so i'm pretty sure we will have plenty of choice when high def tv comes along