1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who Cares About PS3?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by eviljohn2, May 15, 2005.

1. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    At the moment both the N5 and the XBox360 are the focus of interest and between the two look set to cover all areas at the moment. Based on the last few days threads at least.

Apart from a next generation disc drive is anyone really as excited by the prospect of the PS3 compared to the hopes that have been raised for the MS unit and speculation on what Nintendo are planning? :)

2. peteyoung

peteyoung
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah people are, and im one of them, just because microsoft says 'its a media centre' every1s thinking its the best console ever, but both sony and nintendo are keeping shut about their consoles and this week will tell who really 'cares'.

Personally i reckon sony will put another edge onto the console market like the 360 has, after all ps3 is said to have more power, its whether it uses it for gaming or playin movies/media centre whatever.

Tomorrow details should be announced from both sony and nintendo, and after all, sony should get it right like they did before, they have 56% (correct me if im wrong) of the console market, with Microsoft and nintendo sharing the rest, something like 26% for Microsoft so they have a lot of catching up to do, quite possibly they could do that with this console but i personally think sony already has plans for a media centre console and the extra something to make it different from the 360 *probably the game format*

3. GAC

GAC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    well as for the ps3 being not cared about id say thats because no one knows anything about it other than it has a 8 (yes 8 ) corsed cpu unlike the xbox360's 3. so on pure cpu power alone the ps3 is over twice as powerful. now thats all we know to be honest as sony are doing a good job of keeping everyone in the dark inc ms and nintendo, but there is somthing afoot as sony are doing there promo news conference a few hours ahead of ms tomorow aparenty and normaly sony do it mid to late afternoon. so im guessing there after blowing the xbox360 out before its even launched at e3.

anyway on to more important things will the xbox360 do the time honourd ms thing and BSOD mid promo like the first one did when bill was on stage singing its praises :D

4. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Give me a playstation 3 anyday :smashin: :smashin:

5. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Microsoft!!

6. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    I'm definitely keeping an open mind. You can't ignore this given the success they've had with their previous consoles (along with the PSP).

I reckon the console will be a lovely looking machine and have high hopes as to what hardware they pack in there (Blu-Ray etc.) My only concern is the price.

However, I'm not too bothered as to which console will be the 'best' I'll probably be buying all 3 consoles again anyway *looks over shoulder to make sure SWMBO is not looking* :D

7. Mad Jack

Mad Jack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Yep, I'm definitely interested. After all, the PS3 (probably soon to be renamed PS360 EX PLUS ALPHA ;) ) will probably feature the same controllers that work so well with the only game I really ever need: Pro Evo Soccer...

The new Xbox looks interesting, but - considering I haven't bought an Xbox game in over two years (although I have had two as gifts) - it'll have to do a bit better than it's predecessor if it's really going to win me over.

I don't think Nintendo aren't really targeting the same market as the big two.

8. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    MS took a gamble in doing:

a) naming the new machine "360".

I think they did this assuming the next PS would be called 3.

What if sony decide to chage the name?

It will leave the new XBox looking a bit stupid with a name like that!

b) announcing the specs so early.

All Sony need to do is say that their machine is even better. Again leaving the Xbox looking weak.

The only people doing the sensible thing is Ninty in staying quiet untill all the other boys have finished their chest thumping.

9. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Obviously the PS3 will be better than the 360. Sony are probably sitting down and making their machine better than the xbox spec's as we speak. It is just a case of is it better to be first out or better spec.

The PS2 defo won with being first out but microsoft are catching them up.

10. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Sooo what else can Sony offer in the PS3 that we aren't going to get in the 360?

Blu ray as given, not too bothered about that personally, to be priced competively then I am assuming the performance is questionable and that a true blue ray player will out perform it.

I am not sure how important extra power will be in the generation of consoles. It is not like the current PS2 v Xbox where the PS2 graphics can be blocky in comparison with the xbox. The xbox360 graphics are going to be excellent anyway so whoever gets theirs out will benefit big time.

Looking at the PS2 and PStwo there is no guarantee that it will be a "luvely looking machine"!!!

I wonder whether the PS3 will just be a more powerful PSX and then some? That way it gets more functionality then the 360

11. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,222
    jesus E3 is next week, then we'll know Nintendo + Sony's plans. But some people can read the future and dismiss Sony before they have a say......

12. Shin Akuma

Shin Akuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    IMHO this 2nd round of the sonyVmicrosoft could be final round for microsoft. We all expected 4 years ago Xbox will crush playstation2 because Xbox was the most powerfull machine then but it could not, the reason in my opinion is first playstation that had I don't know but alot of customer and games makers worldwide and nearly all of them kept thier faith/loyalty with sony playstation2 becuase of its backward compatiablity. Right now there are nearly 3 times playstation2 owners then Xbox owner and difference is atleast the same as it was when playstation2 was launched but this time PS3 is going to be more powerfull then Xbox 360. So this round could be a last nail in the coffin. The real question is When PS3 going to hit the shops.

13. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    xbox is bill gates taxloss mate. No chance. They have their foot firmly in the door, I don't think selling 10 million + units constitutes a failure. I'd be very happy if I sold 10 million of anything, let alone a games console.

By that equation Nintendo should be out of the business too then?

Fantastic, then we would just have one manufacturer, and it would be like the old Snes days when games cost £50-£60 :rolleyes:

14. Shin Akuma

Shin Akuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Guru,
    One thing we all know playstation has been winner first it crushed arcades and then it crushed Dreamcast, So it wouldn't be a surprise if Playstation do that again.
    As far as Nintendo game cube is concern, it is there because of it's low price and young gamers. The real battle was between playstation2 and Xbox which playstation2 won. This is the round PS3 V Xbox360 that will decide if Microsoft will carry on doing games consoles. As I said before all depend when sony unleashes its consol.

15. matt bellamy

matt bellamy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my opinion the 3 consoles will all be completely different. The current 3 consoles are very similar. The specs, graphics and games are almost identical. The next 3 consoles will all be different and equally brilliant in their own right.

The Xbox 360 will be a super powerful console and media centre linking to wired and wireless networks and allowing people to communicate in and out of games from all over the world. It will have a strong lineup of games and a great online network

The Nintendo revolution probably wont be as powerful and wont intergate with a home network but will offer the most original unique gaming experience. The revolution will gave amazing original first party games linking wirelessly to DS

The PS3 will possibly be the most powerful with its cell processor and will be the middle-ground between Nintendo and Xbox in terms of features. It will (or should) link with the PSP wirelessly in new and exciting ways. It will probably be possible to d/load entire games, films and music from the sony network to the HDD.

What ever happens, the gamers are in for a treat.

16. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,395
    Just for a short comment,

I think I would still be interested. Im gonna be interested in all the next gen consoles (once again), I have 'the bug'. I game therefore I spend :)

All consoles will once again have advantages and disadvantages that I'll take into consderation and then buy them all anyway, as they'll all end up having games I'd like that the other doesnt (although that gap is starting to get bridged pretty quickly now)

tris

17. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have to say the current 3 consoles are nowhere near as similar as you imply. The xbox is leagues ahead of the PS2/GC as it was released a while after the PS2. The GC is about the same as PS2, if not a tiny amount below.

I am talking about graphics and sound. On a projector, both connected with component. The PS2 looks absolutely awful compared to the same game on the xbox.

18. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,834
    Did Playstation win the last round? OK they sold stacks more consoles, but the PS2 was also around for 1 1/2 years before the X-Box and the PS2 has been far less reliable meaning that more people have had to replace broken consoles. The PS2 used to have the best games catalogue but the X-Box was just starting out and had to build from scratch. IMO the X-Box has the best titles on it now and whilst I was a long time fan of the PS2 (purely because of the games available on it) the tide has changed and the X-Box is now no1 IMO. So the last round has converted me (and similarly many others) from being mainly a Playstation user to mainly an X-Box user - does that mean that Sony has won?

If we look over who has sold the most machines over the last year then i'm sure that M$ will be much closer to Sony now. Also you have to remember that M$ hardly sells any consoles in Japan and that in the west (which let's be honest is the region that is important to us) the difference in sales figures between Sony and M$ is not be that big.

M$ can carry on releasing consoles until it's number one - they are that big! They are not in this game to finish second. M$ make so much profit you wouldn't believe and the US equivalent of Corporation tax on that profit will be ridiculous. Them making losses on X-Box sales is just taken from their profit thus reducing their tax bill significantly. OK they will still make some loss on it but the eventual rewards of dominating the console market are more than worth it.

In answer to the question though - Yes I care about the PS3. I am excited to see what all of the 3 main developers bring out and I think (just like in british politics) it's very healthy for there to be 3 console developers in the market place. I hope that they all have some sort of success from their next generation consoles and the only sadness on my part is that Sega will not have a console for me to buy this time.

19. Shin Akuma

Shin Akuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Xbox was indeed late comer but we must not forget that Xbox was more powerfull machine and just to see the difference I bought one myself to see that difference and indeed again Xbox graphics are better then playstation but one thing I must say about your comment that playstation2 was not well built, well I bought one exactly when it came out about 4 years ago and it is doing fine, Sony is fantastic make and more popular then any other house hold name why, because it last longer then others. Sony sold more consol so obviously we will see more consoles going to get repaired exactly like games when you go in to any shop you will find more pre owned playstation2 games then any other consoles games that doesn't mean that peoples are abondaning PS2,it means peoples are making room for other games to accomodate physically and financially as well. Playstation2 and Xbox were both well built infact Xbox was more sphositicated then playstation but end of the day Games will make difference nothing else. Playstion2 still is offering more games then Xbox, PS2 sold more consoles more games every Chirstmes in last 3 years so IMHO PS2 is obvious winner.
    The reason I think PS3 is going to take the first position agianst Xbox360 is PS3's power, It has been said that PS3 is more powerfull then Xbox360 so in other words Sony will not delivere same graphics as xbox360 when they will deliver, otherwise sony will lose and sony knows no point of late entry in the console race if they don't offer better graphics etc.
    And i agree that due to that compitition we are getting better games etc etc. :)

20. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,834
    I also have a PS2 that i've had for years with no troubles, but the machine is notorious for it's poor build quality and every PS2 pad i've owned (about 8) and my mates have all ended up with bust shoulder buttons and bits of plastic rattling around inside them. Anyway I always personally get all of the consoles and find console arguments rather tedious so i'll leave it at that. Instead I will look at what I think will be the factors in the next wave of consoles becoming a success.

I really don't think that the power of each console will be a major factor this time around. All 3 will be around the same power this time as they are all apparantly coming out within 6 months to a year of each other. Cost will therefore mean that their power will all roughly be the same with one console perhaps doing one thing better and another doing something else slightly better.

I personally feel that the most successful console will be the one that offers the right features and the right connectivity. Online gaming is becoming the norm now, mainly thanks to X-Box Live's success and online gaming will be a bigger factor than ever. Hi Def will be a factor as more and more of us buy hi def screens and Projectors. Connectivity with PC's and home networks and the use of media such as sound, video & pictures will also be factors that will be important. The day of the games console is left firmly back in the 80's & 90's and now we want a box that will do it all! So far M$ have pressed all of the right buttons in my mind but we are yet to see what the others will produce. As I will probably buy them all it is a very exciting time! :thumbsup:

21. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Its not just about power horse tamer!

I have a feeling the PS3 will indeed be succesfull and win, but only in Japan.

If the 360 is all it seems, im sure western countries in the EU and the US will go for 360 more than PS3. Simply because the types of games available on XBox will be more appealing than the PS3.

Even though RPGs for example are popular in Japan, and the PS has many, they may not be AS popular in the US or EU.

Again, if the XBox has lots of FPS and the PS has none then people will go for the XBox instead of the PS.

Its a market thing in my opinion. MS knows the western market so they know what they need to make. Sony may know the japanese market better so they do well in Japan.

This next round will be interesting and I feel that japanese companies will do well in japan while MS takes over the rest of the world!

22. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Why do people assume Nintendo's machine will be the least powerful? as it has been like this previous generations;

XBOX > GC >>>>> PS2
    N64 > PS1
    SNES > Megadrive
    PS3 > N5 > XBOX360 ?

Anyway, personally I think PS3 will be the most powerful, but what does that matter without games? hopefully some good stuff will be revealed at E3

23. Shin Akuma

Shin Akuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I agree it is not just about power, what I meant was that since sony will be late in consol race and they know 4 years ago xbox was in same situation and even more powerfull xbox could not take the first spot, so more power will not be the choice but sony will never offer same sort of machine as Xbox360 they will definetly get more bells and whistles with PS3 and I think we all agree on this that PS3 is likely to be the better machine, and ofcourse games will make the difference. as you all are saying Japan won't be doing much for Xbox360, well Japan is the land of gamers and game makers if Xbox360 don't sells there it will be bad news for Xbox360.
    I personaly don't care about Nintendo because I don't play nintendo, but I do care about PS3 because it will take things further where PS2 will finish and hope fully like PS2, PS3 will deliver the goods.
    I checked Xbox360 games videos and I have to say they look great and I am excited about Xbox360 lets hope Xbox360 will last. :)

24. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I am intertested in the PS3 but not as a games console really, I am more interested in the Blu Ray drive it it supposed to have, I think it will be a cheap way of aquiring this new technology. They are likely to have to sell the PS3 at a big loss to get people to buy them this time out with MS having such a big headstart on launch :)

I will obviously be getting an Xbox 360 when its launched so the only one of the new consoles it looks like I wont be getting currently is the revolution. That might change if they pull something really interesting out of the bag but at this point I seriously doubt it.

What people seem to be forgetting is that MS have a big technology advantage over Sony and Ninendo because of the way they build their consoles (Basically using PC parts and high end component manufacturers)

These will always be technically superior to those produced in house by the likes of Sony and Nintedo because of the rapid pace that PC technology evolves at.

So even though the PS3 and Revolution will be realeased 6 - 12 months after the 360 I dont expect them to be any more powerful. If you actually look at the specs for the 360 is going to be hard for them to match them even with a headstart.

If you look at the PS2 it was actually a very poor system, the Dreamcast was almost as powerful and was a developed several years before the PS2 was released. This is illustrated by the fact that top Dreamcast Titles look at least as good as anything the PS2 can produce if not better via VGA.

I just think Sony get a little too much credit for the abilities of their systems. They rely of Brand and software more than anything to shift their boxes.

25. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527

Errr no we can't...yet!

What is your definiation of better...more power?

Is the PS3 only allows you to play games and watch Blu Ray and nothing else, but is more powerful, then is it "better"? Personally I would say No, more powerful yes, but not "better". I would still prefer whats on offer from the 360 with the built in hard disk and media centre UI then just the PS3 games only console.

26. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Interesting. what things did PS2 take further? dance mats I guess. and that eye thing.

xbox seemed to do surround sound, hi def, and online gaiming.

I think microsoft have been more innovative.
    What market share do you think Microsoft will have to get to stop them closing their business down?

27. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Personally I believe the ' winner' as you like to put it will be the one which gives the best online experience. Sony's effort was quite frankly pathetic whereas the Xbox online experience was superb. Yes some of the software had bugs which affected the live experience but the Live structure is v good and by the looks of it is going to get even better with the 360. However Sony has not released any info yet so TBH its all speculation. Can Sony pull the rabbit out with an excellent live experience, IMO No.

Matt

28. Shin Akuma

Shin Akuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Xbox started late but still finishing before PS2, that is what I meant by "Xbox360 will hopfully last", it is no good if consol is lasting for only 3 years instead of 5.
    To me better machine is better games consol, there first purpose is games so that is what they are built for on the first place, blue ray etc etc is not the purpose of the consol, that is good but not realy matters to the gamers.
    Micorosoft are inovative well tell me what exactly stop it from selling Xbox like PS2 has been sold, Xbox was better machine but not segnificantly that could change things. Sony is as inovative as Microsoft other wise there would be Microsoft where Sony is.
    Sony are starting late this time they will not leave any stone unturned So Guys Lets not get carried away with just the news of Xbox 360, Imagine how good that ghost recon will look on Sony when the game will be out on PS3 which will be powerfull machine graphics etc etc, I think Sony will defintly offer all those things which microsoft has on the table because those things are the future otherwise PS3 will be obselete with out them.

29. PiePie

PiePie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If PS3 games are a piratable as those on PS2 and PS1 then I'm sure the PS3 will sell well. And, if they continue the trend of installing substandard lasers people will end up buying another PS3 when their first one breaks. Yay Sony!

30. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I already made the joke about Sony not being able to build a durable laser unit :rotfl: They better make an effort this time, with a Blu Ray drive these things will probably be £399 I would think at least at launch. People are not going to be impressed if they have to replace it after 12 months like they had to with the Ps1 and Ps2 :rolleyes: