Who can deny that there is an actual God.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by BB3Lions, Sep 11, 2012.

1. BB3Lions

BB3Lions
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,442
    Ok following on from here & here does anyone actually believe there is no actual God?

Scientifically, no-one know's who or what created the big bang, so why can we not believe in such, is it because people are scared to think outside of the box to 'what if' or 'maybe' or are they simply closed minded?

Personally I'd like to believe there is & living life under certain rules (10 commandments, 7 deadly sins) will no doubt stand me in good stead with the man at the gates & him upstairs (if there is such a thing & presuming him upstairs is an actual him & not an 'IT' or 'ET'...)

:devil:

2. kav

kav
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,816
    There aren't many who would be prepared to say for definite that there is no god - it's outside our current limits of understanding. What you'll more likely hear is that atheists don't believe in the existence of any of the man-made gods, because there is no evidence for them existing. With regard to a god who might exist outside of our ability to understand, there is no evidence on way or the other, therefore the most logical position to take on that kind of god is agnosticism.

3. mooperman

mooperman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,883
    there is no god....... although there maybe a pretty powerful "Q" type Alien up there... ;)

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    Rational people operate on the basis of proof indicating something exists.

They do not operate on the principle that "lack of proof" must therefor indicate that something "could" exist.

If you think any other way in my opinion you are little better than people who burned "witches" at the stake and thought lightning was the gods being angry.

5. kav

kav
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,816
    Speaking of which, this is possibly one of the best short stories I've read, well worth a couple of minutes of your time:

They're Made out of Meat

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  6. nacmacfeegle

nacmacfeegle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,488
    I agree with Kav. Agnosticism is the preferred approach. Its very difficult to prove something/someone doesn't exist, as per your post, its much easier to demonstrate a god does exist as per your thread title, even then its not easy as we are about to find out in the inevitable following posts.;)

Also as Mooperman implied, you need define the term God.
    Are we talking about Christian God, Shiva, Budha, Great Pumpkin, or some other ethereal or extra terrestrial influencing presence.

7. Iccz

Iccz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,750
    Surely the term God is perfectly defined for the OP's use...

8. kav

kav
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,816
    To be clear, I would refer to myself as atheist regarding any of the man-made gods, and agnostic to the existence of some kind of creator god. :)

9. mooperman

mooperman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,883
    cheers, that covered my lunch time :)

10. Sparky83

Sparky83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    I most certainly don't believe in a god, to me personally I find the whole idea most ridiculous.

I cannot prove there isn't, like those who believe can't prove there is.

11. wongataa

wongataa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +547
    We can't say for sure whether there is a supreme being/deity or not. It is hard to prove a negative. So far there is no evidence for one so we can say so far it seems very unlikely there is one.

Therefore until there is evidence of the existence of a supremem being/deity we say there isn't one.

The probelm being in believing supreme being/deity is that then you have to wonder how that entity came into existence. Then you have to wonder how the creator of the supreme being/deity came into existence and so on.

12. Dancook

Dancook
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    Man? :) chicken and egg scenario. Maybe it was just evolution..

13. nacmacfeegle

nacmacfeegle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,488
    Okay are we going with the popular traditional concept of a single god, sandals, white robes, long beard thing then.

It'll save time later by being sidetracked by the likes of Thor.:smashin:

"agnostic to the existence of some kind of creator god. "
    Yep, same page.

14. Apsilon

Apsilon
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,825
    Let's be honest. Does anyone actually care?

15. Iccz

Iccz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,750
    Given that the OP did not make "God" plural, it's fairly safe to assume that's an implication to monotheistic religions, which mostly do imply a deity of creation and moral authority - pretty much the Christian type of God?
    If it was Gods then it would be polytheistic, which would then bring in your multiple Gods from Norse, Greek, Roman, etc. mythology?

That was my take on it anyway.

(I'm not just trying to be awkward by the way)

16. Coffin

Coffin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,184
    I am God

17. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    "Sky Daddy of the Primitives" is a good catch all term I find.

18. liamt

liamt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,487
    this is my stance. i wont believe in anything until there is proof, which after 10,000 years or so humanity has yet to find.

i find the whole principle of god ridiculous to be honest.

fair enough we might have been seeded by ancient aliens like Prometheus but they are not gods, just more evolved beings than us.

19. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    Only God :D

To be honest any deity that commands unconditional belief and love in the face of no practical demonstration of anything in return should be reported to Watchdog immediately.

Hell there is more proof that Santa Claus exists ; at least there are presents that do exist. Further investigation would establish the evidence as fraudulent but Santa got further down the road to provability than God(s) ever managed.

20. Toko Black

Toko Black
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,300
    Being of the same position as Kav regarding atheism and agnosticism depending on what particular 'version' of God one referes to, the Abrahamic God of the 10 commandments I readily deny exists except in the imaginations of believers.

If there was a God that created the universe and me as a result of it, he created my with skeptism not to believe in him without sufficient evidence. I have no choice about how I think, reason and feel about the subject which simply does not tally with the notion of an Abrahamic God that cares about his creations and yet only offers salvation to those that believe.

21. liamt

liamt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,487
    given that the church has a position of power i would say yes.

when religion is a completely separate entity from the state then it might not matter so much.

no offence but i find that people who believe in fairies/gods etc to be a little odd. i am a little weary of people in power who believe in such things as i want ragional, logical people in and not people basing decisions on blind faith.

22. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,901
    Which asks the question does OFGOD exist?

23. BISHI

BISHI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    I don't like the word god at all, creator might be a better word. If there is such an entity then IMO all he-she- it did was set the program running and waited to see what happened. A creator without love, empathy or ambition - just curiosity to see what was possible within the parameters made available.
    I don't really care if this is the case or not, the universe exists for me and I just want to get on and enjoy playing my tiny part in it without the hindrance of any religious doctrine that would have me do things their way, instead of deciding my own pathway.

24. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    This is pretty much my position too. None of the man made religions are plausible to me and I am unable to say for definite what caused/started everything.

I will say though, that I am one of few who does care as knowledge is power.

25. beachland

beachland
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Mostly this, as the question is only of interest and relevant to religious people, or people that say they are "spiritual" but don't know in what way.
    It's something to ask themselves or their spiritual leaders.

26. johntheexpat

johntheexpat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    What's the difference? Apart from one being the definition of something beyond comprehension for ancient and earlier civilisations and the other being the description attributed to something beyond our comprehension today.

And then.....

You tell me that there is a fourth, fifth and possibly higher dimensions* and I will tell you that there must therefore be whole layers of existence that are and always will be beyond our comprehension. And does God or Q live there? How the hell do I know.

But it's best not to upset her if she does.

* or get the mathematician phycisists to stop using them to explain stuff that happens in our 3D plus time world. Until we can explain everything in 3D plus time terms, I really don't see how we can actively dismiss "God" or "Q" or whatever. ie if higher dimensions must exist to explain our little world, then intelligence very probably exists in those higher planes.

27. kav

kav
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,816
    I agree with everything you wrote except this. How can we possibly know what would or would not upset a god we cannot comprehend, much less appease? Given its sheer incomprehensibility, the way it leads its existence might be entirely unrelated to human morality, so whether we believe, don't believe, act good or act evil according to human stanards, is all meaningless given that we have absolutely no idea what we could do to please or displease this potential being.

I choose to live as though there is nothing there, because I haven't been given any reason to think otherwise. If something did make itself and its desires for humanity known, I'd reconsider my position.

28. mooperman

mooperman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,883
    1 is entirely made up by man, the other could possibly exist...... i'll let you decide which is which... ;)

29. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

I'm going to stick my neck on the line, and say I don't believe that there is any kind of god (and I use the term to mean any kind of being or deity that created the planet and everyone in it).

I don't believe that human beings will ever find anything that will even come close to proving any kind of link that demonstrates one all-encompassing, powerful being created us and everything in our planet/solar system/galaxy.

I also don't believe that science will ever find proof of an all-ecompanssing powerful being, either.

A god, is a man-made concept, in my opinion. All religion is a man-made concept, in my opinion.

If you chose to believe in a religion or a god of some sort, that's fine. But I honestly do not believe that such an all-knowing, all-powerful, creationist being has existed, does exist, or will ever exist. It's purely, and in my opinion only, a fictional concept used to control and manipulate others. (And, in some respects, it's not that far from politics. :D )

...I now await the inevitable flack that I will almost certainly get, from people telling me I know nothing, and that a god does exist, must exist, or has existed.

Pooch

30. johntheexpat

johntheexpat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    How can you please a God that you don't know?
    Interesting point that I hadn't considered before. :thumbsup:

It does rather involve believing not in God, but in people who claim to have been spoken to by God. Or friends of those who have spoken to God.:eek:

(I read the first line of your response:
    and thought you were going to be very brave and disagree with this bit
    But you didn't, so that's a relief :laugh: )