who can deny evolution ?

wookielover

Prominent Member
Reaction score
does anyone on here honestly believe in creationism ? does anybody openly deny and dispute evolution and the age of the earth etc ?

just up for some serious and if we can , adult debate.

Superbugs in hospitals = proof of evolution.

evolution exists, but its such a long process that we don't see much 'current' evidence of it. But it is fact.

What I often think about is look at a simple living item, say a flower. Can man ever make anything like that? Could you imagine someone makes a small black dot, chucks it in the ground, add water and a few days later the little black dot has transformed into a self generting living item with predetermined growth and regenerating instructions. With its own onboard energy 'plant' turning CO2 and light into energy. How the hell can that be accidentally created without some super intelligence?

there is so much proof you have to be mental to deny it. we can see it around us all the time.

its odd that religious fanatics seem to be able to partition off parts of the brain to some of these types of things.

fair enough having faith if it enriches your life but dont start denying things we can prove are happening.

there has been a few people in recent threads who seem to stick their heads in the sand shouting 'i cant hear you nah nah nah' when there is talk of evolution.

liamt said:
there has been a few people in recent threads who seem to stick their heads in the sand shouting 'i cant hear you nah nah nah' when there is talk of evolution.

there the people i wanted to provoke !!

im not qualified enough to say either way but a very very intelligent friend whose done a phd at cambridge in natural sciences came out with the best line i've ever heard on the subject,

"i don't know how creationists can believe the world is only 5 to 6000 years old when the dog has been domesticated longer than that" :rotfl:

evolution exists, but its such a long process that we don't see much 'current' evidence of it. But it is fact.

What I often think about is look at a simple living item, say a flower. Can man ever make anything like that? Could you imagine someone makes a small black dot, chucks it in the ground, add water and a few days later the little black dot has transformed into a self generting living item with predetermined growth and regenerating instructions. With its own onboard energy 'plant' turning CO2 and light into energy. How the hell can that be accidentally created without some super intelligence?

then you get into the cyclical debate of who then created the creator and it all falls down.

humans can create life from nothing. just google some of the things scientists can do.

remember plants have been around for billions of years. evolving slightly each year. its all about timescales. humans have been around for such a tiny scale and intelligent humans even less. we just cant grasp those timescales IMO.

"If the world's 12,000 years old and the Bible covers it, why didn't someone bring up dinosaurs? You'd think someone would have brought that up ...somewhere in the goddamn book.

..And Jesus and the disciples walked down the path towards Nazareth but, oh, the path was blocked by a giant brontosaurus with a splinter in his paw."

Bill Hicks

liamt said:
as well as the grammar Nazis :) :thumbsup:

Provoke will just get you a warming. you have to be more subtle ;)

warning !

If it's proof you need, just look at AVForums.

Evolution at it's finest!

(Brown tongue smiley)

your children have your traits => evolution
Err, I think evolution is more like...

your children DON'T have your traits => evolution*

*or an unfaithful wife.

You're talking about mutation I presume?

If your children never had your traits, there could be no evolution - passing on your traits is what it is :)

You are tall => good chance your children are tall. If being tall is an advantage, your children have a better chance than short ones. After time, everyone is tall. Evolution!

There are people who really believe in the young earth theory.

They explain fossils, dinosaurs and any other material evidence of the age of earth as a simple test of our faith.

If you believe in god as the ultimate supernatural being, you accept that he is capable of anything. Making the earth appear to be billions of years old is a way of polarising opinion and ensuring those have faith, really do have faith.

Afterall, who needs proof when you can have faith.

There are some people so deluded and/or disegenuous that they misrepresent and misguide others into both believing their authority and credibility on the subject of evolution, the age of the earth or other fields of human knowledge as well as providing missinformation and nonsense.

That in turn leads to confusion amongst those with less understanding of the science or general knowledge behind those subjects, especially those who already have been taught ideas of faith and belief.

does anyone on here honestly believe in creationism ? does anybody openly deny and dispute evolution and the age of the earth etc ?

just up for some serious and if we can , adult debate.

There are a couple of members who believe in Creationism, one of which is a friend of mine.

We generally agree to disagree :).

I think it's a combination of things: firstly, the literalist reading of monotheistic religion flatly contradicts evolution by natural selection- and those of strong faith side with their religion. Secondly, there are plenty of persuasive pseudo-scientists within the religious community that manipulate and fiddle the data to make evolution appear to be 'in doubt', when it isn't. These people are usually have strong personalities and debating skills and appear plausible to those without science literacy. It's a simple matter for them to convince the credulous that creationism and evolution are 'two equal theories', or further, that evolution itself is an errant theory.

The simple truth is there is no dispute about our species origins, and there hasn't been for at least a century. Our evolution from earlier organisms is a fact of nature as assured as the fact that the Earth orbits the sun.

Liquid101 said:
There are people who really believe in the young earth theory.

They explain fossils, dinosaurs and any other material evidence of the age of earth as a simple test of our faith.

If you believe in god as the ultimate supernatural being, you accept that he is capable of anything. Making the earth appear to be billions of years old is a way of polarising opinion and ensuring those have faith, really do have faith.

Afterall, who needs proof when you can have faith.

No.... No ....! Fossils and dinosaurs are real, it's just that as they were bigger animals they sank quicker and deeper in the flood that God sent to punish sinners in the time of Noah. And if you lot don't turn away from the teachings of the devils own Dawkins it will happen again. Look at the recents tsunamis and hurricanes, take heed sinners and repent...

I have a work colleague who is a creationist. He accepts that evolution can happen at a micro level, but refuses to believe it could happen at a macro level pointing out that as no-one has produced that missing link between apes and humans or physical evidence of evolution taking place then he must be right. He believes that the dinosaurs are a test of faith also.

You're talking about mutation I presume?

If your children never had your traits, there could be no evolution - passing on your traits is what it is :)

You are tall => good chance your children are tall. If being tall is an advantage, your children have a better chance than short ones. After time, everyone is tall. Evolution!
Passing your genetic traits onto your children is just gene pool mixing, fixing those traits into the gene pool so they become recognisable throughout the species is when it moves into the realms of evolution.

Fixing a gene into the gene pool was a lot easier when the population was smaller and there was more interbreeding, and more natural selection to ensure only the fittest of those interbred genes survived.

I have a work colleague who is a creationist. He accepts that evolution can happen at a micro level, but refuses to believe it could happen at a macro level.

Quite right. I believe it's possible to ride my bike to the shops. But to drive to the next county? Forget it. :)

...pointing out that as no-one has produced that missing link between apes and humans or physical evidence of evolution taking place then he must be right.

Next time you see him point out that the link between humans and apes isn't 'missing'. There are a steady stream of sequential fossils neatly linking us back to ape-like creatures, and absolute genetic proof of our cousinship with the rest of the great apes.

Passing your genetic traits onto your children is just gene pool mixing, fixing those traits into the gene pool so they become recognisable throughout the species is when it moves into the realms of evolution.

Yep - via the advantage bit - right?

Quite right. I believe it's possible to ride my bike to the shops. But to drive to the next county? Forget it. :)

Next time you see him point out that the link between humans and apes isn't 'missing'. There are a steady stream of sequential fossils neatly linking us back to ape-like creatures, and absolute genetic proof of our cousinship with the rest of the great apes.

dont be denying this magic with your fancy reasoning, proof and logic!

I have a friend who is very religious and in to creationism . I bring up evolution and Darwin and proof etc etc pretty much in deniable evidence . He brings up faith. I remember once he was arguing that carbon dating was only accurate to about 5000 years. About 2 mins on the Internet sorted that little argument it ! The problem I've always found is that no matter how much evidence and scientific proof I bring up he always has that cheeky little line " god works in mysterious ways!!"

The problem with evolution deniers is that they have no fall back except their "faith". Some people seem to have real problem with this but I don't, it's their life and they are free to believe in fairies if they want.

There are far bigger problems with religion than evolution denial, inequality of women for a start. Perhaps our efforts should be spent there instead.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom