1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

who bought the tx36pl32 and how is it performing?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by frampton, Sep 12, 2005.

1. frampton

frampton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi there,

currys are finally supposed to be replacing my panny on thursday........but i am a little unsure....

geometry was never good....4:3 had a nasty curve at the bottom left. the engineer said it was near impossible to cure without messing up other geometry.....is this true?

blacks were black....sometimes a little too black...adjusting contrast, brightness, cinema etc made some improvements, but was a little unsure whether i liked the overall picture......this might be a secondary issue with the piece below...

the dirty screen has stayed a dirty screen...

who has bought this tv........marks out of ten.......

anyone else had problems

im not convinced, and i might ask for a full refund...

rob

2. philboam

philboam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, had mine for 1 week now,not a happy bunny. Engineer coming tuesday, dirty screen, when watching football left half of screen as light green grass, right side as dark green grass, also horizontal lines covering the entire screen even on dvd with component more noticable on light backgrounds, it looks like venitian blinds. Find myself watching the lines more than the programme. Hope i get a refund.

3. IndianaBlues

IndianaBlues

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    My geometry's out, gonna have a play with that tonight, you never know! To be honest I haven't had long to play with it - my housemate's been moving out so it's been obscured by boxes for the past 4 days!!! Will keep an eye on it though given everyone else's problems!

The tuner gave a very noisy picture, plugged in my digital box though and I really like the picture.

4. Slimchandi

Slimchandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I picked up the 36pl32 second hand from Dylan (dsbaker) over the weekend.

I'm very very impressed by this telly, looks like those who are not probably have duff models or something else wrong with it. Watched FOTR through a cheapo dvd player (on prog scan), picture was stunningly beautiful once I figured out the "lack of focus" was due to me having accidentally cranked the sharpness all the way down! It felt like watching the film for the very first time, the level of detail was absurd. Only got through the first disc, but the colours in the Council of Elrond were lush and vivid, the greens of the Shire positively verdant, and the Arwen-summoned horse wave was pin sharp. I ordered a copy of DVE which has yet to arrive, and the service menu is calling me as well...

It was very heavy and a difficuly trip, but it was well worth it, and I'm sure I have months of happy movie viewing still to come!

5. billystevo

billystevo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive got a good one the picture if given a good source is excellent. Trouble is that they make tvs in places where the locals dont give a fig about reliability. Panasonic is one to avoid till they realise that they make crap tvs and adress this.

6. Nog

Nog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just received mine after Currys messed me around with the delivery side of things for ages.

My aerial is rubbish so I'm afraid i can't comment on analogue TV pics and I've just moved so I don't have Sky/Freeview. However I'm absolutely staggered at the picture from DVD and PS2 inputs (both RGB scart). The geometry looks good with only a slight bowing at the very bottom right. Haven't fiddled with the service menu yet so not sure if I could fix this, but it's so small i really don't care.

I'm pretty picky with TVs and chose a CRT over LCD/Plasma cos I knew I wouldn't be able to cope with the inferior picture (imo of course, before the flames start :)), but I am so far very, very happy with this CRT. I'm gonna get prog scan DVD player and leads now so I can really see what it can do.

I'd just returned a Philips 32DW6559 before getting this which had a pretty nice piccy, but this absolutely blows it away.

7. Slimchandi

Slimchandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm glad someone agrees with me. It seems like when you finally get a good set, even without extensive setting up, the picture is incredible. I haven't seen a single LCD or plasma running looking this good apart from one in Dixons running HD material (hardly a fair contest!).

8. Raze

Raze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    mine was crap - going back hopefully on saturday.

might get a 36zp Tosh if they come down in price.

Lots of plasmas come down now as the HDTV ones are coming out...

9. bu5ter

bu5ter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Just set mine up last night was not happy at first flickery picture from sky and dvd but after playing with the contrast and brightness it is amazing how much it changed the pic is now amazing clear and for xbox is sheer bliss huge flat screen looks great too was excited about it from reviews but this really did surprise me. I am still having a weird issue with the DMR-ES10 DVD recorder I got with it and RGB recordign from SKY but overall thumbs up.

I have a component lead too but am toying with doing it or not as i didnt realise if you do you lose the relevant scart socket so one reason was to free it up in the first place!!!!!

Is the pic that much better through progressive??? over RGB really honestly?

10. IndianaBlues

IndianaBlues

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    I'm slowly getting my geometry sorted...managed to overcook my changes a bit but now they're getting back to looking good, only a slight taper in the top-left hand corner to contend with.

I have a slight pinkish tinge in the very bottom-right corner of the screen, which is only visible on white scenes in full-screen 16:9 programmes. Could this be due to that side of the TV being next to a radiator (please say no, I don't want to have to re-plumb the house!!!!)? I have a home-cinema speaker on top of the TV but moving it away and back again doesn't seem to affect the tinge (nor did it affect my old TV either, so I'm guessing it's shielded).

Overall I'd give it a 7.5/10, hopefully increasing to a 9 once I've sorted out those things above!

11. Hudson

Hudson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

had mine a few days now, all seems fine and for the sum of £499 (incl of delivery) i can not complain.

12. Slimchandi

Slimchandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Any ideas how easy it is to make alterations in the service menu? I'll be looking to get things set up perfect with this model, is it possible or a compromise due to lack of adjustment?

13. IndianaBlues

IndianaBlues

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    It's easy enough to make the changes using the service menu, my problem is that it's always going to be a compromise in that altering one setting invariably alters a part of the screen that was previously perfect! Having said that, I've managed to get mine to a happy medium! :thumbsup: Making the alterations themselves is quite straightforward, they even have a memory function whereby when scrolling through the various values for each item (eg Horizontal Position) when you return to the original value the figure goes from red to black, indicating that you are back at the original value. That way if you get carried away and don't write down the original value before playing (ahem :oops: ) you can tell where you are.

14. IndianaBlues

IndianaBlues

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    I've managed to get my geometry looking pretty sweet now, nice straight borders when in 4:3 and 14:3 modes...except for yesterday during the grand prix...whenever the flashy ITV ad-breaks intro came on (the bit between the LG phones and the actual racing) the borders danced and warped like a crazy thing - that is to say they bent and bowed all over the place...is this normal???? :eek:

15. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Had mine for about a month now.

Some of my posts immediately after getting it were of slight disappointment, but in hindsight these are nothing to do with the TV, but the quality of the signal that it is receiving from Sky.

Some of the weaker channels are exposed on a TV this size with 100Hz processing. The picture can sometimes look slightly blocky but you can't blame the TV for that. It can only show what it is being fed. Admittedly my old 50Hz Philips coped better with these type of channels.

However, if it is fed with good quality digital channels then it is superb. I have seen some films on C4 and episodes of LOST on RTE2 (both through Sky digital) that were stunning.

Also, DVDs are excellent as well. My all-in-one Sony system is connected S-Video --> SCART and pictures look great. I am hoping to buy a separate DVD player on the cheap that has component output and progressive scan to see if the difference is worth it. I hear it is.

So overall very happy. A bit of a pain getting the brute set up due to the weight. Nice looking set too. Also I seem to have been lucky in getting a good set compared with a lot of others above. I can't believe that a company like Panasonic has so many 'duffers' out there. I would have thought that they had high quality control standards. Are people being too picky perhaps?

Conclusion: 36" CRT with matching stand and delivered for £499 = happy.

16. Slimchandi

Slimchandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The component and prog scan options are the reason I bought this model, and even with a cheap Philips prog scanner (bought and returned to Tesco on the cheap!) they looked great. I'm expecting the Pio 380 which I'm told has the same guts as the 575 but no 5.1 preouts, so the video should be the same standard. It's fair enough to say I can't wait!

17. baldmosher

baldmosher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm about to embark on fixing the geometry (after I've been to bed, it's 4am now), hope this will fix the horrific pincushion skew at either side of the screen and maybe even the fuzziness in the centre, but at £150 from eBay you can't really argue!!