Who’s moved from Marantz/Denon to Arcam ?

DodgeTheViper

I’m keen to hear from anyone that has moved from Marantz/Denon over to Arcam and specifically, one of the newer HDA Arcam models.

In no particular order.

What did you previously have and what do you have now ?

What do you like about Arcam ?

What don’t you like about Arcam ?

What do you miss from what you previously had ?

What’s your speaker config e.g. x.x.x ?

Obviously with any other general thoughts as well.

Cheers :smashin:

Jase

Distinguished Member
Bit quiet in here. I'm also curious to know the opinions of anyone who's made the move. :thumbsup:

JiffOrangery

Hi,

I've recently moved from a Yamaha RXA-3050 (sorry not DM here) buy happy to give insights from my perspective.

Had: Yamaha RXA-3050 have now: Arcam AVR10 - got it exdemo for £1400 (considered the AVR20 but would never need 9.2.6 or independent subs/more than 2 subs).

What do I like: The sound with movies has more separation, much clearer top end with less roll off, crisp mid range and can dig deep for bass. Out of the box is really good, post setup and Dirac it's a game changer. I was very surprised. Music is also very good with a similar profile to movies, it's natural sounding, not warm or clinical and has bags of power. I'm driving Kef R series all round which are hard to drive and the avr makes them sing. Net functionality is also very good, the apps is great (I use Plex but also supports most of the big music platforms). I love the LCD screen, it's fantastic and so much more.

What I don't like: it has subtle irritations, not deal breakers but can be irritating such as power on time (over 10 secs), some features are a bit hit and miss such as no source switching while in standby without jumping through hoops e.g. eARC (which is not great), no real on screen display but the web UI is actually really good, limited dynamic speaker assignment.

What do I miss: ease of set up and simple plug and play you get from the bigger players but worth it for the sound quality.

Setup: 7.1.4

General thoughts, it has its own character/irritations for sure and it's more work than a big player avr to get set up and just work but I love the sound, the clear power on display when all channels are driven, the clarity and fantastic sound stage and the fact it's very revealing with both movies and music. Dirac just takes this even further and I've never had an avr which sounds this good. It's a cracking AVR and I'm very happy with the change (I used to be a Yamaha fan and have had them for years). I know it's not DM but hopefully helpful. Happy to answer any questions.

Jon

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
And the potential 9.1.6 layout or extra Subs (albeit extra for Dirac BM).

JBL Synthesis processor has Dirac BM, no extra cost. And you can get some really good discounts for them. Perhaps even less bugs than on Arcam. Not sure is Dodge considering processor though.

Jase

Distinguished Member
JBL Synthesis processor has Dirac BM, no extra cost. And you can get some really good discounts for them. Perhaps even less bugs than on Arcam. Not sure is Dodge considering processor though.

I had looked at that but the discounts would have to be considerable to bring it within budget as I'd also need an extra poweramp.

DodgeTheViper

Hi,

I've recently moved from a Yamaha RXA-3050 (sorry not DM here) buy happy to give insights from my perspective.

Had: Yamaha RXA-3050 have now: Arcam AVR10 - got it exdemo for £1400 (considered the AVR20 but would never need 9.2.6 or independent subs/more than 2 subs).

What do I like: The sound with movies has more separation, much clearer top end with less roll off, crisp mid range and can dig deep for bass. Out of the box is really good, post setup and Dirac it's a game changer. I was very surprised. Music is also very good with a similar profile to movies, it's natural sounding, not warm or clinical and has bags of power. I'm driving Kef R series all round which are hard to drive and the avr makes them sing. Net functionality is also very good, the apps is great (I use Plex but also supports most of the big music platforms). I love the LCD screen, it's fantastic and so much more.

What I don't like: it has subtle irritations, not deal breakers but can be irritating such as power on time (over 10 secs), some features are a bit hit and miss such as no source switching while in standby without jumping through hoops e.g. eARC (which is not great), no real on screen display but the web UI is actually really good, limited dynamic speaker assignment.

What do I miss: ease of set up and simple plug and play you get from the bigger players but worth it for the sound quality.

Setup: 7.1.4

General thoughts, it has its own character/irritations for sure and it's more work than a big player avr to get set up and just work but I love the sound, the clear power on display when all channels are driven, the clarity and fantastic sound stage and the fact it's very revealing with both movies and music. Dirac just takes this even further and I've never had an avr which sounds this good. It's a cracking AVR and I'm very happy with the change (I used to be a Yamaha fan and have had them for years). I know it's not DM but hopefully helpful. Happy to answer any questions.

Jon
That’s really helpful and much appreciated :smashin:

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I had looked at that but the discounts would have to be considerable to bring it within budget as I'd also need an extra poweramp.
Send PM for @dts197 about the JBL pricing, probably better to discuss on PM. :) I think it was quite a no brainer over AV40, but he will tell you more hopefully.

raz77

Hi I had the Marantz AV 7703, moved to the Arcam AVR 20

really like the Arcam, find the audio so much better compared to the Marantz, sound is more precise from each speaker, this could be down to Dirac. Atmos with the Marantz was underwhelming. The Arcam has now made me really appreciate atmos and have now starting buying more discs again as the sound is so good.

there is nothing I don’t like about it, heard many horror stories with early firmware but I have had zero issues and running really well.

my speaker configuration is 9.2.6.

I can honestly say my room has never sounded so good, I know very little about Dirac but got someone in who did and they have got the best out off the Arcam, my speakers and my room. I have no regrets about moving to Arcam, the Marantz was good but the Arcam has just taken this to another level. I am now looking to change the Marantz 1608 in my living room to another Arcam unit.

DodgeTheViper

Hi I had the Marantz AV 7703, moved to the Arcam AVR 20

really like the Arcam, find the audio so much better compared to the Marantz, sound is more precise from each speaker, this could be down to Dirac. Atmos with the Marantz was underwhelming. The Arcam has now made me really appreciate atmos and have now starting buying more discs again as the sound is so good.

there is nothing I don’t like about it, heard many horror stories with early firmware but I have had zero issues and running really well.

my speaker configuration is 9.2.6.

I can honestly say my room has never sounded so good, I know very little about Dirac but got someone in who did and they have got the best out off the Arcam, my speakers and my room. I have no regrets about moving to Arcam, the Marantz was good but the Arcam has just taken this to another level. I am now looking to change the Marantz 1608 in my living room to another Arcam unit.
Much appreciated :smashin:

Krobar

I went from an Denon AVP-A1 to an AV40. The sound is a little better with the Arcam without EQ but the Denon had a better noise floor (It had a much better noise floor than an AV7705 and better than the Datasat I had too). Dirac did a much better job than Audyssey XT32 in my room and that was before they got Dirac BC working well which sounds excellent.

There are few feature advantages other than Dirac the Arcams have over Denon:
9.1.6 support
3-5 independent subwoofer support
Proper Roon endpoint
MQA (Not that I care for it personally)
More flexible Z2 in some cases

DodgeTheViper

I went from an Denon AVP-A1 to an AV40. The sound is a little better with the Arcam without EQ but the Denon had a better noise floor (It had a much better noise floor than an AV7705 and better than the Datasat I had too). Dirac did a much better job than Audyssey XT32 in my room and that was before they got Dirac BC working well which sounds excellent.

There are few feature advantages other than Dirac the Arcams have over Denon:
9.1.6 support
3-5 independent subwoofer support
Proper Roon endpoint
MQA (Not that I care for it personally)
More flexible Z2 in some cases
Thanks for that :smashin:

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I went from Denon to Marantz to Arcam.

I'd say in terms of overall sound quality for home cinema:

1. Arcam with DIRAC
2. Arcam without DIRAC
3. Marantz
4. Denon
5. Marantz with Audyssey
7. Denon with Audyssey

Where Audyssey felt like a compromise on the sound, making everything sound more 'tinny', the D&M left to their own devices without correction sounded better. My only reason for using Audyssey was the bass management to avoid boominess; something my miniDSP helps with now.

The Arcam to my ears sounded better, more full more precise, more detail and more impactful without DIRAC.

With DIRAC and a +8/10db house curve, its in a different class IMO. Everything IMO is i a different stratrosphere sound quality to the D&M.

My setup is a 5.6.2 setup (2 subs, 4 hoverboss drivers) and a min dsp2x4HD for bass EQ.

The move to Arcam had convinced me of the value of receivers and that you get what you pay for. Prior to buying it, I was never bought on how much a receiver or processor can improve the sound but now I've experienced it, I can only imagine how good the Trinnovs and other more superior products are.

For 2 channel music, the stereo imaging with DIRAC is also insanely good, something I never got with the D&M even with Audyssey used.

Bass wise, DIRAC is FARRR superior to Audyssey. The bass is so tight and articulate, with the D&M, it simply never was. Its actually so good that I don't use EQ on my miniDSP, I just time align them and play with the levels and then let DIRAC fix it.

But YMMV with room correction of course.

Pros D&M
1. Stable
2. No Bugs
3. More power for your money
4. Amazing feature set
5. Alexa integration and HEOS
6. Supports so many upmixing formats
7. Better controls
8. Has Wifi
9. HDMI 2.1 upgradability for newer models

Pros of the Arcam (AVR390)
1. Sound quality

For me its really that simple. and I don't think the sound quality can be understated. You can upmix to Auro 3948948948D as many times as you want but if the bassline sound quality sucks, IMO I'd rather just use stereo on something good than upmixing on something bad.

As an overall product, I think D&M are simply complete and that makes them so attractive, In terms of sound quality in my experience, they're a tier below to the extent that for my experiences, its not even really a debate. But its difficult to not look at the bugs and the way Arcam and Anthem treat their customers. Early adopters are basically BETA/bug testers and I always wondered why they put up with that.. until I heard one.

DodgeTheViper

I went from Denon to Marantz to Arcam.

I'd say in terms of overall sound quality for home cinema:

1. Arcam with DIRAC
2. Arcam without DIRAC
3. Marantz
4. Denon
5. Marantz with Audyssey
7. Denon with Audyssey

Where Audyssey felt like a compromise on the sound, making everything sound more 'tinny', the D&M left to their own devices without correction sounded better. My only reason for using Audyssey was the bass management to avoid boominess; something my miniDSP helps with now.

The Arcam to my ears sounded better, more full more precise, more detail and more impactful without DIRAC.

With DIRAC and a +8/10db house curve, its in a different class IMO. Everything IMO is i a different stratrosphere sound quality to the D&M.

My setup is a 5.6.2 setup (2 subs, 4 hoverboss drivers) and a min dsp2x4HD for bass EQ.

The move to Arcam had convinced me of the value of receivers and that you get what you pay for. Prior to buying it, I was never bought on how much a receiver or processor can improve the sound but now I've experienced it, I can only imagine how good the Trinnovs and other more superior products are.

For 2 channel music, the stereo imaging with DIRAC is also insanely good, something I never got with the D&M even with Audyssey used.

Bass wise, DIRAC is FARRR superior to Audyssey. The bass is so tight and articulate, with the D&M, it simply never was. Its actually so good that I don't use EQ on my miniDSP, I just time align them and play with the levels and then let DIRAC fix it.

But YMMV with room correction of course.

Pros D&M
1. Stable
2. No Bugs
3. More power for your money
4. Amazing feature set
5. Alexa integration and HEOS
6. Supports so many upmixing formats
7. Better controls
8. Has Wifi
9. HDMI 2.1 upgradability for newer models

Pros of the Arcam (AVR390)
1. Sound quality

For me its really that simple. and I don't think the sound quality can be understated. You can upmix to Auro 3948948948D as many times as you want but if the bassline sound quality sucks, IMO I'd rather just use stereo on something good than upmixing on something bad.

As an overall product, I think D&M are simply complete and that makes them so attractive, In terms of sound quality in my experience, they're a tier below to the extent that for my experiences, its not even really a debate. But its difficult to not look at the bugs and the way Arcam and Anthem treat their customers. Early adopters are basically BETA/bug testers and I always wondered why they put up with that.. until I heard one.
Thanks for this :smashin:

Some of the things that you now experience with Arcam that you didn't get with Audyssey, I dont have a problem with. That's just the differences that we get though.

Appreciating all the comments so far :thumbsup:

mb3195

Distinguished Member
I think sound quality is massively variable depending on the room when comparing a Marantz with Audyssey and Arcam with Dirac.

My personal experience, and I know @Apollo feels the same with his move is that Marantz was a massive step up in performance on all levels compared to the Arcam. But I've read many people have felt completely the opposite.

Dirac really sucked the life out of my system, and the bugs.....I just couldn't live with them.

I tired 3 arcam receivers/processors, 550, 860 + another 860. As soon as I stuck the 8805 in, my whole room just came to life.

The only way you'll really know is to try for yourself.

Bugs appear almost identical. Although some users are reporting none @upgradeitis being case in point.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Thanks for this :smashin:

Some of the things that you now experience with Arcam that you didn't get with Audyssey, I dont have a problem with. That's just the differences that we get though.

Appreciating all the comments so far :thumbsup:

Yeah, when I had the Marantz I was in a happy place TBH. Felt very satisfied. It was only by chance I decided to try out the Arcam and it was much better sound quality wise.

The most obvious was 2 channel music where it was a night and say difference. blind testing myself and family (as I like to drive them crazy with this stuff). but maybe its room and acoustic differences which play apart too.

Honestly I think once we get to a certain level of gear... just easier to save money and put it to something else more worthwhile and I think receivers is one of them. Sure as you go up the chain, they sound better... but does it REALLY change the music/film experience? Probably not as long as the source material is good. Slipper slope and before we know it we can be 10-20k down when that money could be spent on much much more tangible enhanements in life lol...

My biggest upgrade this year has been room size. Moving to the small room I had to the medium sized room has been a MASSIVE upgrade, better than the subs, more speakers, atmos channel, power amplfiier, receiver changes etc.

I wish I could get a bigger room width wise but alas I'll have to move house to do it.

alebonau

I’m keen to hear from anyone that has moved from Marantz/Denon over to Arcam and specifically, one of the newer HDA Arcam models.
problem you have with this question is likes of denon and marantz make such a range of product...

you have their extreme bottom feeder units someone will have and proclaim what a revelation arcam has been moving to like its been an experience like being born again and seeing a 2nd coming or something :D no matter the arcam was several 00s up in price in rrp ! :D

some will also compare denon and marantz from several generations ago... without at all even the audyssey app sophistication we have today... or they wont even pay the pittance it costs to buy the app on a current model to really have a go at calibration and setting so sonically sounds exactly how they want ?

there is SUCH variability as well with results can achieve with EQ and setup... I read folks with what am talking about MASSIVE boosts in EQ and thinking jeepers talk about loudness wars :D but hey its thier setup and you can most definitely get either denon/marantz/arcam today sounding exactly how you want it ... so I dont personally see the EQ system as a huge differentiation...

I've owned 3 flagship processors in the mighty Denon AVP-A1HDA that i owned 8 years since new...and two generations of flagship marantz processors since ... run a 7.1.6 setup and have no inclination or need to go arcam (only ever looked at their processors) ... even though i have explored these as options in some depth prior to moving to each of my marantz processors

my suggestion ...while folks comments are always interesting to hear... its best to explore for your self... because for very reasons folks will go for something ... its quite possible you will for your own reasons go for something else... and this is totally OK :) you are buying this for yourself after all... not to please anyone else ...or to meet their needs :)

DodgeTheViper

Yeah, when I had the Marantz I was in a happy place TBH. Felt very satisfied. It was only by chance I decided to try out the Arcam and it was much better sound quality wise.

The most obvious was 2 channel music where it was a night and say difference. blind testing myself and family (as I like to drive them crazy with this stuff). but maybe its room and acoustic differences which play apart too.

Honestly I think once we get to a certain level of gear... just easier to save money and put it to something else more worthwhile and I think receivers is one of them. Sure as you go up the chain, they sound better... but does it REALLY change the music/film experience? Probably not as long as the source material is good. Slipper slope and before we know it we can be 10-20k down when that money could be spent on much much more tangible enhanements in life lol...

My biggest upgrade this year has been room size. Moving to the small room I had to the medium sized room has been a MASSIVE upgrade, better than the subs, more speakers, atmos channel, power amplfiier, receiver changes etc.

I wish I could get a bigger room width wise but alas I'll have to move house to do it.
It’s just compromises, the bloody things are everywhere :D

I boobed when I had this extension built, I didn’t build it big enough. But like you, I’d have to move now which I may do in the next few years or so. I’ll just see how things go.

DodgeTheViper

my suggestion ...while folks comments are always interesting to hear... its best to explore for your self... because for very reasons folks will go for something ... its quite possible you will for your own reasons go for something else... and this is totally OK :) you are buying this for yourself after all... not to please anyone else ...or to meet their needs :)
Yes I know. But there’s no problem asking for people’s comments etc, that’s just what we do. If all the comments berated the product I wouldn’t bat an eyelid at it. If all/most of the comments are positive and lean toward what I’m looking for then it raises my interest and may help in deciding one way or the other.

If people are buying a Subwoofer I think one of the most asked questions is ‘what does the graph look like’ ? !

It’s just what we do. We’re interested in what other people think of a product that we’re interested in. I get loads, mostly off forum.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I think sound quality is massively variable depending on the room when comparing a Marantz with Audyssey and Arcam with Dirac.

My personal experience, and I know @Apollo feels the same with his move is that Marantz was a massive step up in performance on all levels compared to the Arcam. But I've read many people have felt completely the opposite.

Dirac really sucked the life out of my system, and the bugs.....I just couldn't live with them.

I tired 3 arcam receivers/processors, 550, 860 + another 860. As soon as I stuck the 8805 in, my whole room just came to life.

The only way you'll really know is to try for yourself.

Bugs appear almost identical. Although some users are reporting none @upgradeitis being case in point.

Yes, there is lot of different experiences regarding the Arcams and at least one should have return option / home trial for demo unit. @dms tried the AV40 processor but it didn´t sound any better than he`s Yamaha flagship which has full parametric eq with web setup over the automatic YPAO (which gets bad rep) and all the bugs in Arcam probably that time the situation was lot worse. For reference dms has very expensive and high quality active speaker system what i remember from past chats. Post #25:

alebonau

Yes I know. But there’s no problem asking for people’s comments etc, that’s just what we do. If all the comments berated the product I wouldn’t bat an eyelid at it. If all/most of the comments are positive and lean toward what I’m looking for then it raises my interest and may help in deciding one way or the other.

If people are buying a Subwoofer I think one of the most asked questions is ‘what does the graph look like’ ? !

It’s just what we do. We’re interested in what other people think of a product that we’re interested in. I get loads, mostly off forum.
agree, though as i mentioned while this is certainly interesting in doing this, with comments received .. do hope check out for self... as there are plenty of these things folks buy for their own reasons :) if no one bought one or other ... they wouldnt exist as the successful brands they are :)

as per above comment .... it might even be possible where are to also home demo ? or even in shop demo ...some retailers will help you to do this extensively to aid your decisions :)

DodgeTheViper

agree, though as i mentioned while this is certainly interesting in doing this, with comments received .. do hope check out for self... as there are plenty of these things folks buy for their own reasons :) if no one bought one or other ... they wouldnt exist as the successful brands they are :)

as per above comment .... it might even be possible where are to also home demo ? or even in shop demo ...some retailers will help you to do this extensively to aid your decisions :)
Oh god no, I’m not that daft. Like any other thread on the forum, it’s just inviting others thoughts :smashin:

alebonau

Yes, there is lot of different experiences regarding the Arcams and at least one should have return option / home trial for demo unit. @dms tried the AV40 processor but it didn´t sound any better than he`s Yamaha flagship which has full parametric eq with web setup over the automatic YPAO (which gets bad rep) and all the bugs in Arcam probably that time the situation was lot worse. Dms has very expensive and high quality active speaker system what i remember from past chats.

YPAO has had some significant developments of late... it will be very interesting I think if they bring out a new flagship processor and how YPAO goes with it ... that said their new "flagship" AVR has this already i believe ... so be interesting how pans out for folk...

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung Tizen plans include cloud gaming for smart TVs
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Freeview Play racks up 10 million users
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on UK streaming services for November 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
PROMOTED: Which OLED is King? 2021 Shootout at Abbey Road Studios