1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whither DVD-Audio?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by warrj, May 19, 2003.

1. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've been keeping an eye on DVD-Audio since its 'launch' a few years back. Today I went to the play.com website's DVD-A section and clicked on 'coming soon'. They list two titles as coming soon. Two! What hope is there for the format? Mainstream customers don't care because:

a) CD is good enough (perfect sound forever - after all)
    b) Most people won't tolerate 5 speakers + sub in their living room

At the moment I don't know of a single DVD-A title which I'd really like to own (with poss exception of Missy Elliot and Doors - both of which I already own and neither of which are particularly recent releases). I currently own in excess of 800 CDs and my tastes are pretty catholic so if I'm struggling to find anything worth buying then the average punter who isn't into dodgy US 70's AOR is not going to be interested either.

My apologies if this sounds like a bit of a rant but I'm just a bit frustrated by the whole thing. I'm starting to suspect that DVD-A has missed its window of opportunity and that the mainstream will be more attracted to the convenience offered by downloaded compressed music (ala the Apple Music Store) than by hi-res audio that won't sound any different to their existing CDs.

All very depressing IMO.

Regards,

Jules.

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Rant awy Jules, many of us are in agreement with you. I also find SACD not much better either, there are only so many copies of Kind of Blue that you can actually have / need. I actually think there are still technical issues that need addressing main stream for these new formats to be a sucess, some on the players, some on the audio processors but none of these will happen unil we get more discs. We will not get more discs until the technical issues are dealt with so we are in an endless cirle. Depressing :(

3. Karma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    To a large extent I have to play devils advocate.

I think DVD A will succeed (eventually) and largely for the resons you already cite.

Most Hi Fi people will embrace it , because they realise that CD was exactly not "perfect sound forever" It's bandwidth is too restricted.

There are already a lot of people who DO have five speakers in their rooms, through the watching films.

By default they will have DVD players, which ultimately will need upgrading, by then DVD players will have DVD A on by default. And it isn't that difficult (note the "that") to have dual layered CD's with both a standard and DVD A track on them.

I for one welcome any attempt to improve the quality of audio.

But sadly, I think you are right, the systems of the future are being decided by people who think compressed audio formats are good quality, when in reality they fall somewhat short of acceptable.

I for one (and I will nail my colours to the mast) hope that with the adoption of DVD A there will also be capacity on the disc for a workable encryption code to prevent wholesale copying of music, and still retain the quality. The music industry and hence any future deveopment of quality new bands depends on it.

4. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Karma,

I think one of my problems with the current batch of DVD-As is that they are less flexible than a CD. With a CD I can play it on my main hi-fi, rip it to AAC and copy it to my iPod, stick the CD in the car stereo etc. A DVD-A can only be played on a DVD player.

IMHO it would be tragic if the Redbook CD layer of any forthcoming hybrid DVD-A discs were copy-protected. It doesn't prevent piracy it just prevents fair use.

I think you may be right wrt to hybrid DVD-As eventually replacing CDs. However it will take several years for this to occur and for anyone who likes less than mainstream music we could be talking many years before everything is available on DVD-A.

Regards,

Jules.

5. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I read ( a couple of weeks ago) that the DVD-A/CD hybrid was shelved due to tech problems with layers and layers.

6. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +447
    I think the hybrid DVD-A were shelved cause most current DVD players (both DVD-V and DVD-A) were unable to play them. And the whole point of DVD-A is that it can be played on any DVD player though at lower quality with DD or DTS.

7. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Personally I belive that the main stumbeling block is the amount of kit you need to play a SACD / or DVD-A disc... I've had a number of friends that have be very impressed with Dark Side of the Moon on SACD.... but then they realise they need a player, multi chanell AMP, speakers etc..... It will take a long time before your average home has all of this equipment. Most people only spend a few notes on their HiFi, even the cheapest multi chanell systems are 500 quid +

I also agree with the flexibiity point... not being able to play it in the car or on your MP3 player is major pain! I use an iPOD and iTune on the MAC no to pirate music but the enjoy it when on the move.... so copy protection really annoys me.