1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

White wall or white MDF screen?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by godi32, Oct 15, 2001.

1. godi32

godi32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This weekend I installed my Sony VPL-CX10 projector using the AlfaKhan ceiling method. I first projected the image on a light yellow wall but shortly after I saw the result started painting the wall using a white-grey extra matt paint. The result is great but I was wondering if I could improve the result by painting a MDF screen with the same paint. What would be the difference you think?

My girlfiend doesn't want me to put black borders around the white screen. Is this a major setback in the image result or is the difference minimal?

Thank you for the help!

Dirk

My home theater

2. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the main diference i would have thought would be that there would be no blemishes . it would be a compleatly smooth surface (perfect for projecting on to)

as for black borders . i think it makes a big diferense. it gives you a perfect edge to image containing it and giving you better perceved depth

3. samwiley

samwiley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Black borders make a HUGE difference to the whole cinema effect and perceived picture quality - so far the biggest (and cheapest) improvement that I've made!!

Sam

4. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cant beleive that there is no shop in Birmingham which sells velvet to blackout / mask my MDF screen

:(

That would make watching ultra large screen TV even more incredible :)

James

5. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    James any good fabric shop will.

Be prepared for some interesting looks though. Bloke buying material.

Pound says the girl behind the counter thinks your making some sort of kinky outfit.

6. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    James, Go to your local outdoor market and look for stalls selling fabric. Or find an Indian clothing shop selling Saree's, they often sell fabric too.

Alternatively, I can supply black velvet at the bargain price of £30 per metre ;)
    [by the way, that was a joke]

Regards

7. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After having quotes of £800 for general living room curtains that seems a bargain Chris ;)

I'll checkout the market and see what small shops I can dig up!.

8. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Try John Lewis, they seem to sell most stuff like this.

9. stuart-f

stuart-f
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm lucky enough to have a dedicated cinema room and use a Dalite screen which has a narrow, 3" black border and it was mounted on a light wall. This was OK but after one particula trip to the cinema I realised that I needed to paint the wall behind the screen black. I used the darkest shade of Dulux Ice Storm (mixed at B&Q). This made a huge difference to the overall feel of the picture.

Anyway after all that the point is black borders do make a difference and if you can't get the right material you could try painting a border, (remember to use matt finish).