White vs Grey pros and cons

KRW

I'm looking at buying my first screen in a few weeks so that I may finally retire the bedsheet.

I'm sure I've read that grey is a good colour for a screen for blacks, but it seems that white is far more predominant. What are the cons of a grey screen?

I'll add that I do not have a bat cave, and the light in my room could be better but I'm very pleased with the bedsheet image at the moment - but I'm sure a dedicated screen will blow me away, again.

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
Grey screens can help improve black levels, but their other quality is that they help reduce the effects of a brightly painted room or a room with ambient light. They tend to be lower gain (less bright) than a similar white screen.

If your room is light coloured and can suffer from some ambient light, then a grey screen is probably your best choice. Knowing the actual lumen output of the pj is handy so you can calculate the image brightness. Too large a screen with low gain and a low lumen pj can lead to a dim image quite quickly as the lamp dims with age.

Gary

kbfern

Distinguished Member

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom