White varnish not making table top white, what are my options?

brad123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I have 2 ikea breakfast tables. We varnished them 2 years ago after sanding, the varnish was a dark colour and looked nice. So we decided to update and have a white table top, so sanded all down to wood to start again, used Ronseal white varnish, 3 coast on so far and its barely white.

So what are my options? We prepare food on these as they are breakfast tables. Its like one attached in image. I'd like the top to be white.

Attachments

• $_86 (3).jpg
    $_86 (3).jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 163
So I have 2 ikea breakfast tables. We varnished them 2 years ago after sanding, the varnish was a dark colour and looked nice. So we decided to update and have a white table top, so sanded all down to wood to start again, used Ronseal white varnish, 3 coast on so far and its barely white.

So what are my options? We prepare food on these as they are breakfast tables. Its like one attached in image. I'd like the top to be white.
Paint then seal.

I think they would look great as they are but that aside what is wrong with a decent white gloss?

If you use a water based colour coat (paint, or whatever) then you can use pretty much any type of top coat. But if you use an oil based colour coat, then you’ll have to use an oil based top coat, a water based top coat would not adhere to an oil based undercoat.

Aside from that, you’re good to go. Paint the wood, and stick a top coat on - or, as Mr Fraggles has already suggested, just stick a decent gloss paint on!

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
As i want to paint legs white can i just use same paint for top too, then use clear gloss on top to seal it and make wipeable?

If so what paints best? Wood paint?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom