1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

White screens causing problems on new Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Darbyweb, May 4, 2003.

1. Darbyweb

Darbyweb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got my Pioneer PDP433MXE on Friday - yes i'm still smiling :D

I currently seem to have a problem.

When an advert appears with a full white screen it doesnt like it...

Usually the white screen is only there for a few seconds at the end of an advert, but makes the screen flashes with black lines across it.

Also during BBC news of friday night, they showed a computer graphic of elections results this again was mainly white screen - this time it flashed went blank and reported 'Frequency out of range'

Have i got a dud ??

Can anyone give me any pointers, all the basic settings are set at 0, i.e. contrast, brightness etc.

I am using the Sub D RGB input fed from a JS RGB to Plasma.

Dean.

2. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a guess,

Try reducing brightness and contrast a little and see if it reduces this problem. It sounds as though you are over driving the plasma.

James

3. ariharry

ariharry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Try hooking up a PC to the D-sub input, and feed a pure white image to it (avoid using the JS Box). Also try hooking a DVD player to the s-video connector.

It could be a faulty JS Box where the sync's are being malformed somehow.

4. Darbyweb

Darbyweb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've hooked up my laptop via the D-sub, opened up IE with a blank white page - no problem...

Havent got a s-video lead so will get one and try it.

If all my settings are the default, cant seem im over driving it ??

Dean.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Darbyweb

You dont say what your source device is - I'm assuming it may be a FTA box; which do appear to be more problematic than most of the SKY Digibox designs which are pretty predictable.

Try setting the contrast on your set top to low - if its on high or mid it may be over driving the JS or Pioneer circuitry.

You may also want to try a replacement PDA-5002 video card - I'd be surprised if the whole panel is at fault and its a fairly easy job to swap out the card.

Best regards

Joe

6. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The default settings on plasmas are traditionally too high.

Doesn't cost anything to try it;)

7. Darbyweb

Darbyweb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok - have further investigated - problem was occuring with Sky, then today found that it was happening with a couple of DVD's showing large amounts of white.

One particular DVD (The Aquarium one for Plasmas) has white menus, these all displayed out of range and displayed a black screen, i navigated through by random pressing until playback started, and screen returned to normal.

I then played same DVD through Laptop connected via RGB Sub-D input 1, same as JS RGB-Plasma connected to, and I had no problems - colour was fine etc.

I noted that with JS Box connected i do not have any control over RGB settings which i do when i connect laptop through same connection.

I have left contrast and brightness at 0, as anything below makes screen to dull.

Dean.

8. Joel

Joel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have that exact problem om my Hitachi 42PD3000, too! It only occurs on one channel, which is fed through regular cable wall RF outlet (no digital or satellite tuner). It doesn't appear when I look at a DVD with all white menus.

What could be my problem?

Regards,
    Joel

9. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hey Dean. Sorry to hear you are having some teething troubles.

Could it be some kind of anti-screen-burn feature that is getting spooked by the large amount of white on the screen? Total guess here.

10. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi,

Dean and I have been talking via email. Once he stated he was experiencing problems I arranged for a replacment unit to be sent out.

We've found that he's using a switch box in between his sources and the Plasma VGA unit and it would seem that is the cause of the trouble. I've not looked at the type of switch box personally, so can't comment on what it's doing.

Alternative options are to try to cascade the devices so that a switch box isn't required or to try the manual one from Argos which I know works very well.

All the best,

Dr John Si.

11. Darbyweb

Darbyweb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes - thanks to John his swift response helped tremendeously !!

It seems to relate to the Holdon HSR1000 - without it, no problems, i'm going to talk to Keene later to see what they think...

I'm going to cascade the Xbox to Sky to DVD-R, and when i get a Freeview box, slot that in somewhere too !!

Dean.

12. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I was trying to be discrete by not mentioning Keene!

The way I cascade my XBox to Sky + to the DVD recorder is really simple. Use the Microsoft Advanced SCART lead (the only one I recommend) to Sky's VCR input. From Sky's TV output connect this to your DVD recorder's input. And then it's output to the RGB to Plasma VGA unit.

If you do get Freeview, try and get one which has two SCARTs so that you may do similar fitting it in either before or after Sky.

How does it work? Leave Sky on. If you want to XBox, just switch it on and Sky will pass it through. If you wish to watch a DVD, similarly switch it on and it will take control of the chain.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

13. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    It is so reassuring to see experts like Symanski reccomending cascading equipment. I have been doing so for years despite some comments that PQ would suffer. It saves inputs simplifies cabling and does not appear to compromise picture quality to my aged eyes.

I have a Sky+ connected via a Philips DVDR to my screen enabling easy back-up of programmes to DVD and simple viewing.

14. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    My point of view is that with an external electronic switch box you're going through some electronics, same as with a pass-through on a DVD player or Sky. Therefore, same type of process. In fact, from what I've heard about switch boxes it could make the picture much worse by comparison due to penny pinching!

Manual switch box should give you the best picture quality as it's not re-process the picture. Hence, you've seen me recommending the Argos switcher. And this is also one of the cheapest switching solutions too.

However, pass-through isn't always a good idea. My DVD recorder passes though with an excellent picture if it's in standby, not so if it's on. So you do have to watch how you're using your other equipment and know which gives the cleanest path.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

15. MrAnderson69uk

MrAnderson69uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Another cause of bad PQ, is that a lot of pass thru circuits, especially on VCRs and some Set top boxes and Digital Satellite receivers, don't accept anything other than Composite Video, urrgh, or S-Video (for S-VHS VCR compatibility) thru their VCR SCART socket.

So if you want make sure you've got RGB pass thru, check the manual for the pin outs of the VCR SCART Socket. Make sure of the presence of Pin 16 providing 'RGB Status' or 'Blanking Signal' and that there are Reg, Green and Blue signal available on Pins 5, 7, 9, 11, 13 and 15 (signal and ground).
    If these signal are listed as N/C then you'll be out of luck only get Composite Video.

(See Here for detailed description of all pins http://www.proav.de/data/cables/scart-pinout.html plus there's loads more info besides)

Another thing to think about is that most kit with pass through does so when Pin 8, the AV Control Signal, is activated (5v 16:9 or 12v 4:3) by the kit providing the signal to be passed and it may not provide manual control via a TV/AV type button on the remote. NTL Digiboxes and probably Telewest's don't provide control as most VCRs either only output on Pin 8 while on Playback or using On Screen Menus or provide a TV/VCR button (Sony for instance) to toggle the control.

Another work-around is to put the box for the signal you're passing through in to standby !!!