White screen virus

Wingsurfer

Prominent Member
Reaction score
It seems like my sisters laptop has become infected with the 'white screen virus'. Upon bootup it functions properly until the user password screen. After entering the password the screen just goes white, rendering the machine unuseable. Ctrl, alt & delete works but whenever anything like task manager is selected we just get the same white screen. We are able to shut down via the ctrl, alt & delete screen. It is only after telling the machine to shut down that the desktop is displayed, but that's too late as obviously the pc is shutting down.

From searching the net it seems that it's trying to display a fake website, claiming to be from the police that is asking for money (or something to that degree) but, because it's not connected to the internet & the location cannot be determined it just displays a page of pure white.

I have a plan of action that seems easier than a lot of other removal tips& would just like to run it passed you guys to see if it has any chance of success.

I intend to remove the HDD out of it & put the drive into a USB caddy. I then intend to connect it to my laptop, boot that into safe mode & scan with avast. The idea being that avast will pick up the virus & get rid of it, so when the drive is put back in my sisters machine it will work as normal.

I also intend to copy all of the pics (the only data on the system that she cares about) onto mine so if I cannot solve the problem at least she still has them.

If the avast scan doesn't find anything, or cannot get rid of the infection as long as the pics are backed up we will then format & reinstall windows by using the disks I created when I bought my laptop. Both my sisters & my machine were running windows 7, mine has been upgraded to 8 but the restore disks were created when it was running 7.

What do you think?

Plan of action is just about perfect. Good luck.

... and forget to back-up any important data/media on a regular basis just in case?

Worked like a charm :)
The only thing that was remotely tedious which I had to google was how to boot win 8 in safe mode.
6 infections found on her hdd, avast moved them to vault. I then copied all data she wanted to keep into my system. When I put the hdd back into hers it worked brilliantly (all be it a tad slow)

I would format and reinstall as a precaution. Maybe overkill but can never be too careful.

I will mention that to her & see what she wants to do.
I just thought of something, the restore disks that I have we're created on my laptop - Toshiba, hers is a Compaq. I assume that I would still be able to use my disks & it would install the bundled Toshiba software? Or, can my disks only be used in Toshiba machines?

It depends on how the restore is created. If it is an image you will have problems with drivers one or installs. I don't personally like restore disks much.

Ah that is something that I do not know, they were created using the facility that was on the desktop when I bought it - probably doesn't tell you much does it?!

I've just noticed a recovery partition on the hdd, can this be used for a full factory reset without the need for disks?

Ah that is something that I do not know, they were created using the facility that was on the desktop when I bought it - probably doesn't tell you much does it?!

I've just noticed a recovery partition on the hdd, can this be used for a full factory reset without the need for disks?

Yes probably the easiest option. Just go to the support page for that particular laptop, you may need to press summer key on boot or install a program from the manufacturer.

Some of these restores take bloody ages tho.

That's fine, I don't mind leaving it run overnight if need be. Before asking how to do it I should have just searched google (blonde moment lol) for this model continuously pressing f11 on start up gives the recovery menu. When it finishes I will install avg free & use the windows firewall. Any other recommended security software? I've heard of malware bites, or something with a similar name, will this conflict with avg? I know it's not a good thing to have more than one anti virus programme running

I can thoroughly recommend Malwarebytes

Malwarebytes : Solve your malware problems with our help

It is sufficient in a home environment to download the free version and run it after first download and then periodically, say once a month or if you encounter a problem. It won't conflict with your installed anti virus programme

May I also suggest you use a security suite rather than a free scanner. If you bank online some banks offer free anti virus suites to their customers. Barclays for example provides Kaspersky All IMHO

What benefit will a security suite bring that free software won't?

What benefit will a security suite bring that free software won't?

Read the reviews

Internet Security Reviews | PC Pro

http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/windows-7/mayjun-2013/

I'd suggest an integrated suite will bring more effective firewall as well as better virus protection and other features the free applications don't have but at the end of the day each makes their own decision

I'd be interested to know which system was protecting your sister's laptop

Last edited:
Hi guys I have this virus and i cant get rid, the kasprksy rescue disk was taking 4 days and nowhere near finished said 1%, any ideas thanks. I triied system restore but didnt work.

Its been 3 days now and I need my pc back.

I'd be interested to know which system was protecting your sister's laptop

Haha, that's a good one! She had both Norton & AVG installed. Neither it seems had been updated for a long time. Now I think about it & was under the impression AVG auto updated itself but maybe not. I will check if it turns out that it doesn't I'll put avast on there instead.

Hi guys I have this virus and i cant get rid, the kasprksy rescue disk was taking 4 days and nowhere near finished said 1%, any ideas thanks. I triied system restore but didnt work.

Its been 3 days now and I need my pc back.

Do you have access to another pc Brad? If so, my solution may work for you also. It does require buying a HDD enclosure if you've not got one but I picked it up from Curry's for £7.99

Haha, that's a good one! She had both Norton & AVG installed. Neither it seems had been updated for a long time. Now I think about it & was under the impression AVG auto updated itself but maybe not. I will check if it turns out that it doesn't I'll put avast on there instead.

The reason I gave up on AVG some long while ago was its failure on many occasions to update. However, two will tend to conflict and this may have been the problem

Of the free ones, I too would go for Avast

The reason I gave up on AVG some long while ago was its failure on many occasions to update. However, two will tend to conflict and this may have been the problem

Of the free ones, I too would go for Avast

If that's the case with you too I think I will get rid of it & put avast on.

Hi i cant get the pc to boot up from the usb stick with hitman on, in bios is it usb hdd or usb fdd etc.

If that's the case with you too I think I will get rid of it & put avast on.

This was some time ago but I was aware at the time that the free version tended to update only once a day from an E European site but didn't always manage it in my case

If you delve into the reviews you'll find many of the paid jobbys do update every 3 or 4 hours as and when necessary which may not be a problem if you're not on the computer much but for a machine that's working throughout the day may be a factor

I used Avast for several years without trouble until the bank started to provide Kaspersky internet suite for 3 computers at home free of charge which suited me down to the ground. You'll obviously need a good firewall as well. Not sure how Zone Alarm free is doing these days. Windows firewall only protects one way so far as I recollect

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/e...:B001:A002:Exact:U01:T003&term=zonealarm free
Note I haven't used Zone Alarm anti virus and am not therefore suggesting you use that instead of Avast

Malwarebytes does a rather different job and is well worth having. The free version is active only when you run it and will not argue with a virus checker. It will provide the location(s) of any malware lurking on the system. It might well have sorted the problem with your sister's computer and is used by many with great success

Last edited:
Hi i cant get the pc to boot up from the usb stick with hitman on, in bios is it usb hdd or usb fdd etc.

Am I not right in thinking USB system will not load before W7 loads properly?

Can you not put the programme on an optical disc and get the computer BIOS to load that first?

You may find better help if you start a new thread

Last edited:
Unfortunately no system is truly secure due to the way they are designed for us. We went to be able to install software and with that come exploits.

The best prevention and first line of defence is attached to the mouse or keyboard. ;-)

No not the motherboard.. Try the other direction..

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom