1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

white or grey screen goo with infocus x1

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jabu, Mar 14, 2005.

1. jabu

jabu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been getting a lot of confusing information about screens that will work best with my infocus x1. So I was hoping to get the straight dope.

I live in a very modern white bright house...obviously the worst for a front projector...but that's what I'm working with. We have a loft style house so there is no way to isolate the tv area...and it has to be night to view it...and even then there are a lot of windows...moonlight, streetlights. Ok, nuff said.

So, I am not a rich man...not rich enought to be able to send a nice screen down here to Mexico. So I'm getting my poor sister to bring some Screen Goo with her...oh! and she's also bringing the projector. So...needless to say, I haven't seen anything and am very anxious for it all to get here.

My question...should I be using CRT White or Lite Grey. The screensize will need to be about 7 feet wide by whatever tall depending on the aspect ratio. Now, I already ordered CRT White because I thought it was the best for a larger image, but now I'm thinking lite grey is the best due to the ambient light.

If anyone can recomend something to me so I can be sure I get the right thing when it gets here. Thanks !

Jason

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I think it will look great with either, would be very difficult to know which is slightly better than the other without viewing them side by side - in your house!

The grey apparently provides better blacks, the white will provide a punchier image...

I would probably stick to the white! But my personal taste is to have a bright image and compromise on the blacks, rather than have a dull image with great blacks.

Good luck!...PJ

3. jkoc

jkoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a similar problem where the area is bright and not too easy to control the ambient lighting... i have the x1 as well.

one thing to note, if you cant control the ambient lighting, you simply will not be able to watch anything on the x1 during the day time. your only hope is to wait until sunset before you are able to BEGIN viewing the projector somewhat.

it also depends on how large youre projecting the image. if you project at like 40" or something tiny, you can view the thing at ANY lighting condition heheh but who the heck projects at 40"?... i've projected at 84" 4:3 and at around 106" 16:9, both of which require good controlled lighting in order to not be washed out by the sunlight.

getting grey or matte white wont really help the situation THAT much... i've seen them side by side and in my opinion, its not that helpful. sure the blacks are blacker (ie: contrast is better), but in the daylight sun, it really makes no difference. i personally prefer the matte white because i resigned to the fact taht i cant control the lighting at home and i will only watch movies on the projector after sun down heh heh -- and for that situation, the matte white is much better than the grey; of course this is subjective to what you prefer... i tend to prefer a brighter image.

i'm in the proceess of buying a new screen too -- and i had to look at grey and white screens. so thats what i've come to judge so far.