White or Black home theatre speakers

garcoo

Novice Member
I am in the process of building a new home and have already pre-wired for a 5.2.4 Dolby Atmos home theatre. Although the room will be multi purpose the one section is dedicated to the home theatre. I have a Sony XBR-75X800G TV, Anthem MRX-1120, Apple TV 4K, Xbox One, Sony Blu-ray player and Technics SL-1200 turntable. My question relates to speaker colour. I am going with the B&W 600 series speakers but I can’t decide on a white or black finish. Visually I like the look of the white finish but my concern is how they will reflect light off the TV. Should I be concerned?

rccarguy2

Go for black, or some other finish.

White speakers are good for wall mounting speakers as they disappear against the white wwl.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The ‘colour’ is less of an issue vs. how reflective the surfaces of the speaker is if they are likely to be hit by light from your TV.

Matt white can work well.

Joe

MJNewton

I think black will always match the TV itself, but white will obviously blend in more with white walls as mentioned above and also white TV units which are quite common in modern installations. You might also want to consider blacks for the fronts (matching th TV) and whites for rears/surround if that's the colour of your walls?

Last edited:

Dean

I've got a white/creamish coloured dedicated room and still think black speakers and subs goes well as it gives some contrast.

MJNewton

I should've caveated my thoughs with the fact that my wife is quite happy to 'hear' speakers but not to 'see' them... Clearly it is having an affect on me... ;-)

rccarguy2

I should've caveated my thoughs with the fact that my wife is quite happy to 'hear' speakers but not to 'see' them... Clearly it is having an affect on me... ;-)

Buy the ugliest biggest black speakers you can find then say "get out" like t-1000

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210503-220311.png
    Screenshot_20210503-220311.png
    1,016.4 KB · Views: 149

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I am in the process of building a new home and have already pre-wired for a 5.2.4 Dolby Atmos home theatre. Although the room will be multi purpose the one section is dedicated to the home theatre. I have a Sony XBR-75X800G TV, Anthem MRX-1120, Apple TV 4K, Xbox One, Sony Blu-ray player and Technics SL-1200 turntable. My question relates to speaker colour. I am going with the B&W 600 series speakers but I can’t decide on a white or black finish. Visually I like the look of the white finish but my concern is how they will reflect light off the TV. Should I be concerned?
black is good for home theatre

white normally is good for living room as colour white gives impression of more airiness and opennesss

dante01

Distinguished Member
You'd idealistacally go with matt black as opposed to white or a satin or gloss finish if fitting out a cinema or home theatre setup. This is because while or gloss finostes replact klight and the actual location of the speakers becomes apparent even if watching content with no lights on or with the lighting dimmed low. However, this doesn't always fit in ith other decor if the room isn't a dedicated home theatre room.

While havingf white speakers isn't ideal in dedicated rooms, it shouldn't disuade you from making asthetic choices based upon that rooms other uses. I know the doensides and reasons not to use while speakers, but I still have them refardless. If you understand the reasons, but still favour white due to the asthetics then there is no reason why you should avoid white at all costs. Just beaware of the reasons why white is often frowned upon and take those reasons into consideration. :)

IMG_0247.JPG

IMG_0254.JPG

IMG_0461.jpeg

and yeah. the same goes for your TV cabinet and other furhishings :lesson:

Last edited:

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
I've never had a dedicated HC, just amps, players and speakers in a living room.

However, I have had all-black speakers and amps and players and AV furniture and ended up hating it all. It was like something out of the monolith from "2001" - absorbing all the light and a darkness into infinity!

Now, I have Light Ash speakers, a Silver AV receiver and a Subwoofer in Piano Ebony. It might sound like a mish mash, but it breaks up the monotony of the other black components that weren't available in any other colour.

Personally, I think this whole light reflection thing is overstated, especially as most living rooms tend to have light bleed anyway. As long as something isn't directly below the screen or either side then you'll be fine with White.

It'll look nicer too! Just check out @dante01's post above and imagine how it would look if everything was Black instead. If you prefer his choice then go with that, if you think Black would look better then choose that.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Neither.

Dark wood finish.

big boss

It's personal preference. Remember that most of the time, the TV is off and you have the speakers staring at you. Buy what pleases you. I've never seen anyone complain about light reflecting off their speakers.

dante01

Distinguished Member
The best setup would be one where you don't actually know where the speakers are or one where they are hidden from sight. This makes you think less about where audio may be eminating from and makes it easier for you to listen to the audio as a soundstage detached from those speakers. It helps you to stop localising the audio to where the speakers are.

In wall and or hidden speakers aren't the most convenient or accessible option for most though.

big boss

The best setup would be one where you don't actually know where the speakers are or one where they are hidden from sight. This makes you think less about where audio may be eminating from and makes it easier for you to listen to the audio as a soundstage detached from those speakers. It helps you to stop localising the audio to where the speakers are.

In wall and or hidden speakers aren't the most convenient or accessible option for most though.
Agree, for dedicated home cinema setup. For a living room setup, some may prefer aesthetics.

AVgulag

Standard Member
To add another idea: there are some great wall-mounted shallow speakers like PSB PWM-1 or MK Sound MP-950 (which I have x3) where TV reflection is a non-issue. Also much easier for other half to live with. These are designed to use the boundary effect without coloration.

Front three matching is way more important than front/back or front/height. Ideally, you have the same speaker l/c/r. Once you get used to that idea, you stop worrying about the "centre" speaker. Or at least I did.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom