1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

White Noise sound test - weird!!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Gary D, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    AMP: Yamaha 630

i recently had a house party and decided to move my rear speakers into the bedroom out of harms way. anyway, on reconnecting them, i pressed the sound test button on the remote and white noise began to spill forth until it got to the rear left - silence!!

I ran the THX test (from the monsters inc disc) and again nothing from the rear left. i turned the amp off and went for a lie down to think about it, Went downstairs and tried again - turned the amp on ran the tests - sounds from the rear left!

I then left the amp on for 15 mins or so and tried again - ran tests rear left was silent again. After much messing about i worked out that the rear left seemed to die after about 10 mins.

but the weird thing is that i've watched and tested any number of discs in the last couple of weeks and the rear left is as lively as anything when watching them - no hint of dropout.

Now, the rub to all this is that i dont want to disconnect the amp (which is under warrenty until 2005) because its such a pain as it built into a unit and will take conciderable effort to extract.

Has anyone else every experianced anything like this before? is it just the white circuit thats blown (is there a white circuit?) or should i really go and have it fixed. as the warrenty still has ages to go and it seems to be working for films i thought i'd test it for a little while before i take my living room apart (and really upsetting my wife).

i should also add that i've not run the white noise test since i installed the amp last october, so it may have been doing this for ages but working fine with discs.

Any thoughts would be most welcome.

Gary

2. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as an experienced doctor would say......

Lets get it out and have a good look at it shall we :D

Check your speaker settings..........
    Check your connections on rear of amp......
    Check your speakers connections.........

Take it back to shop........

3. Nixon

Nixon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, i'd be inclined to just take it back to the shop and let them fiddle.

4. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    On the fist week of getting my AV Receiver my left surround speaker intermitantly played.

I changed the old speaker wire for new stuff and made sure all the connections were nice and tight.

It has worked perfectly since for over a year, my problem was a dodgy old cable.

5. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    thanks chaps, i'm going to have a fiddle over the weekend and see what i can come up with. i suppose i'm really reluctant to take it back as i'm not going to be able to watch anything while its away - (componant video signal and coax for sound - will have to be replaced by SCART) and it does seem to be working (watched ST: Nemesis last night and it sounded fantastic)

i hope its not the speaker cable as they are under the hardwood floor - christ i dont want to take the floor up!!!

anyway thanks for the advice chaps.

Gary