White noise/crackling in Hisense 40" Roku TV 40H4030F speakers with volume at zero

Discussion in 'Hisense TVs Forum' started by Ballyshannon, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Ballyshannon

Ballyshannon
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought a 40" Hisense Roku TV model 40H4030F for my bedroom. I keep the TV on to help get me to sleep, but turn the volume down to 1-2 bars before going to sleep. I've noticed what sounds like white noise that distorts low volume speech, so this morning I turned the volume to zero, walked up to the TV, and the speakers were obviously crackling and producing white noise. When I hit the mute button, the crackling disappeared and was quiet. Is the crackling/white noise normal for this TV with volume at zero, or a problem with the TV and needs to be returned for another one? I've attempted to contact Hisense, but the wait times are ridiculous.

2. JohnyM

JohnyM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I’ve had two Hisense TV’s. The first being a HE65K5510 and the second being a 58” K730. Rather annoyingly they both produced a significant amount of white noise/hiss with the volume either low or at zero.

3. Ballyshannon

Ballyshannon
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JohnyM, from your response, apparently it's an ongoing issue with Hisense and I doubt another 40H4030F would be any different. It's a shame since the TV has a surprisingly good quality picture considering the price. What I'm hearing at low volume with my ear down by the speakers is a fuzziness/distortion associated with any sound (talking, music, etc). When someone is talking and there's a break in their speech, no fuzziness.

4. JohnyM

JohnyM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    So it would seem. I still have the K730, I can hear the hiss at 6-7 feet from the TV but it doesn’t bother me. The TV has the best sound I’ve ever heard from a flat panel TV but like I said, both my Hisense’s were hissy so I wouldn’t bother going down the replacement route especially if you’re otherwise generally happy with the TV. I’m looking to replace my 58K730 with a 65U7A hence lurking on the Hisesne board – even with the hiss they seem to make some impressive TV’s.

5. Ballyshannon

Ballyshannon
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, overall I'm happy with the TV because of the picture quality, and the sound quality is pretty good for a relatively small flat panel. The more I use it, the less I'm noticing the low vol hissing and just enjoying the view. The TV is about 11' away from the head of the bed, so that helps.

In my hunt for a TV, I tried a 43" TCL 4k Roku and the picture quality wasn't as good. I also tried the 43" Hisense FHD Roku (larger version of the one I have) which had a nice picture, but in dark scenes, there was a tremendous amount of light bleed at the bottom center above the logo that was about 3" wide and spread about an inch up into the screen. I used a med-weight guitar pick between the screen and bezel to pull out on the bezel and the bleeding disappeared. So, the bezel was apparently squeezing the LCDs at that point and totally unacceptable. The 40" doesn't have this issue.

6. JohnyM

JohnyM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Getting an acceptable defect free-ish TV is basically pot luck whatever the brand, trawling through the owners threads on here will tell you as much. With my HE65K5510 I sent that back due to an issue with the panel, where the screen meets the bezel it was not a straight line, it was wavy – as if something was pinching the screen (on a light background) It was very distracting so back it went, ended up with a 58” K730 and my only regret was not buying the 65” version – build quality is exceptional, metal stand + bezel, perfect panel and superb sound. All the Apps still work too, including 4K prime.

I personally would only go for the mid to high end Hisense models, those that are edge lit – I prefer edge lit TV’s as they seem to be less prone to issues like dirty screen effect and banding. Just debating whether or not to pull the trigger on the 65U7A – As you’ve mentioned TCL, their 65DC748 is under £500 at Costco – temping.

7. Ballyshannon

Ballyshannon
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it's definitely a crap-shoot no matter the price or manufacturer. Unfortunately, I've been out of work for more than a year and just started a new job, so can't afford a mid-to-high end TV right now. Besides, when considering a TV for the bedroom with limited use, I can't justify spending several hundred bucks, and the picture on this 40" Hisense Roku is surprisingly good. I'm a graphic designer by profession and a stickler for accurate color, especially skin tones, and this little inexpensive set produces some good color with nice contrast, blacks, and depth. It's taken several attempts tweaking the settings, but think I've found the best combo.

I've been reading some consistently excellent reviews of the mid-to-higher end TCLs, so it may be worth giving the 65DC748 a try. You can always return it within the return period if you're not happy.