White Macbook Price Increase!!!

Southernguy

I've been in the Market for one of these for a while now and have just noticed that they have been upgraded but with a price increase of £30 So now they are £749!! This, I could go some way to understanding but the US apple store keeping the updated model at $999 (£628) with no price increase?

A littler bit unjust I think. Maybe apple thinks Britain has exempt from the global recession?

Does anyone have a good email address for Apple, I'd like to understand the logic behind this please!

gerbilly

Maybe they're just rebalancing the price against the current $ > £ exchange rate. Or just using that as an excuse anyway

I think that is the answer!

baldrick

Novice Member
I made this prediction a few months ago when there was the last barrage of "What are Apple playing at" threads when they price of iMacs and minis increased and at the time I said something to the effect of "we'll see this with every refresh of products where the last pricing round was at a far more favourable exchange rate..."

I can't be bothered to do the sums, but if you use the logic I typed here you'll probably find that the new £749 price comes in like-for-like at $999....

baldrick

Novice Member
Which should actually work out in our favor, considering we now get more $ for our £ than we were doing a few weeks ago.
It's the difference between the exchange rate at the time the last price was set and the exchange rate today...

A n d r e w

Register your protest by not buying one, or just live with it. M2cW.

mrm3

It has had a slight spec increase too. 2.13 instead of 2GHz or is that just the US.

EDIT: Nope it is here too ! Just more overpriced than before.

redred99

Standard Member
I feel violated by apple. Around late last year i bought a white macbook - 2.1 ghz, 1gb ram, 120gb hd, gma x3100 - for £719. Just after Christmas, they updated it with a significantly better graphics card and an extra gig of ram, for the same price. ***.:mad:

Tenex

Novice Member
I feel violated by apple. Around late last year i bought a white macbook - 2.1 ghz, 1gb ram, 120gb hd, gma x3100 - for £719. Just after Christmas, they updated it with a significantly better graphics card and an extra gig of ram, for the same price. ***.:mad:

That's just silly. Most Apple kit gets an annual refresh and occasionally a small speed bump between. Whether or not they changed the spec yours is as good as the day you bought it and will serve you for years to come. Applying the argument that you should never update 'cos there's another coming means none would ever be bought.

I'm typing this on a 4yo iMac instead of my 1.5yo MacBook. Both have been superceded and both are as good as they were when bought. Agonising over spec changes will bring you nothing but grief. If its so bad then sell yours and buy the new one you'll get a good price for it.

redred99

Standard Member
That's just silly. Most Apple kit gets an annual refresh and occasionally a small speed bump between. Whether or not they changed the spec yours is as good as the day you bought it and will serve you for years to come. Applying the argument that you should never update 'cos there's another coming means none would ever be bought.

I'm typing this on a 4yo iMac instead of my 1.5yo MacBook. Both have been superceded and both are as good as they were when bought. Agonising over spec changes will bring you nothing but grief. If its so bad then sell yours and buy the new one you'll get a good price for it.

No, apple just does a good job of making what you bought seem obsolete. I am just annoyed, and rightly so.

Tenex

Novice Member
No, apple just does a good job of making what you bought seem obsolete. I am just annoyed, and rightly so.

Would you prefer that nothing ever changes? You undoubtedly knew that your model would be superceded as yours had superceded another.

A n d r e w

I feel violated by apple.
Oooo-errrr.
Around late last year i bought a white macbook - 2.1 ghz, 1gb ram, 120gb hd, gma x3100 - for £719. Just after Christmas, they updated it with a significantly better graphics card and an extra gig of ram, for the same price.
A good argument in favour of price increases then?

alanrob

The shock - computer maker upgrades products. Do you have the same gripe with your TV etc....

Just like with all hi tech, you jump in at what level you are willing to pay for and just hope that your purchase will give you plenty of value for money. It's not Apples fault that you didn't do your home work before buying. Most Mac news sites will tell you of up coming upgrades many weeks in advance.

Does it still work? Does it do the same thing today that it did the day you bought it? If your unhappy then sell it off and buy a Windows laptop - oh wait! They get upgraded more often! The cheek of these computer manufactures!

xmb

I am a big Apple fan but I feel Apple are now charging too much for their products and if they are not careful will halt the momentum they have built up in increasing their installed base.

We should also remember that these products, like so many others, are all made in China and Taiwan and imported into each country directly. They do not go to America first so comparing to the USA exchange rate is pointless!

Mind you I am not in the market for any new Apple kit at the moment so maybe I like the price increases to keep me in an exclusive club! :devil:

nigelbb

Distinguished Member
I am a big Apple fan but I feel Apple are now charging too much for their products and if they are not careful will halt the momentum they have built up in increasing their installed base.
Apple products are a comparable price to similar high quality computer products from other manufacturers. Sony, Toshiba, Dell or HP workstation class desktops & laptops. You get what you pay for.

We should also remember that these products, like so many others, are all made in China and Taiwan and imported into each country directly. They do not go to America first so comparing to the USA exchange rate is pointless!
Apple will have paid in US dollars for manufacture.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom