White Macbook gets better

NewBeetle

Distinguished Member
MacBook - Apple Store (U.S.)

The US store has a new model white macbook. 2.13 C2D (up from 2.0), 160GB HDD (up from 120GB). 800MHz RAM (up from 667MHz), HDD upgrades up to 500GB (unibodys & pros still only 320GB options.

Price remains same $999

NewBeetle

Distinguished Member
Does it mean the rumours are true that all unibodies are gonna become Macbook Pro's? 13/15/17" and the white is here to stay?

NewBeetle

Distinguished Member
I doubt it. Just a drying up of the 2 Ghz CPUs I suspect.
I seriously am starting to believe the re-brand rumours following this though. They obviously can't get production costs on the unibodies low enough to hit the $999 price point so I can see them having the whitebook and maybe bringing back the blackbook as the only macbooks available and having the Macbook Pro available in 13" 15" and 17". It kinda makes sense in my head anyway lol.

Jerrysimon

Hmmm thats a little annoying I just purchased a White Macbook for my daughter last week :mad:

I wonder if its worth taking back and exchanging it. I think they have a 14 day exchange policy. Don't you just love it how here in the UK they always try to sneak in price increases over the US.

I notices it still has DDR2 Ram.

Also I wonder if they are going to do the same with the Mac Mini processor :confused:

I brought that last week too :mad:

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

NewBeetle

Distinguished Member
Hmmm that a little annoying I just purchased a White Macbook for my daughter last week :mad:

I wonder if its worth taking back and exchanging it. I think they have a 14 day exchange policy.

I notices it still has DDR2 Ram.

Regards

Jerry
Same ram but now the 800Mhz variety (only a tiny difference in reality), if they don't charge you a re-stocking fee then I would exchange it TBH.

P-P-S-S

Then why not leave it as 2Ghz and just decrease the price, making it more appealing, rather than charging more (in the UK at least)?
Decrease prices?! We are talking about Apple...:D

Tenex

Novice Member
Then why not leave it as 2Ghz and just decrease the price, making it more appealing, rather than charging more (in the UK at least)?
I think you misunderstand me, its likely the spec has changed because Intel has either given notice they will discontinue the 2Ghz or the price they offer the 2.13 for has decreased to 2Ghz levels.

The notion they'll produce a separate spec for one small overseas market is a non-starter.

Jerrysimon

Don't panic! Phone Apple and as long as its within 14 days of the launch they'll swap them FOC.
Yer we had a bit of a result actually. We just took my daughters white MacBook back which I purchased last week under education discount.

They exchanged it for the newer one plus £25. Then the sales guy said hey today we are starting a special offer of a free Ipod.

Its not actually free as you have have to pay for it then claim back the money less VAT. So basically we got a 8GB Ipod £24.75 i.e 165 - 24.75 = £140.25 off.

You have to pay the full cost of the Ipod at the point of sale and then send a form to Apple who then credit your account in about 4-6 weeks time.

My daughter came out the store with one big smile on her face :rolleyes:

Regards

Jerry

Spooky

arrggghhhh.....
I only bought my macbook yesterday but unfortunately not from the Mac store. To be fair got a very good price so I cant really complain, now I just need to get used to Mac OS.
Can honestly say once I get used to this I cant see me going back to a PC.

Jerrysimon

I guess I should also add thanks here as without this forum I may not have been alerted to the upgrade in time to exchange it :eek:

So thanks all who contribute here :thumbsup:

Regards

Jerry

nigelbb

Distinguished Member
Doesn't matter, if you bought it from a retailer you're entitled to return it within 14 days, it's your consumer rights :)
Incorrect. It's an anomaly that under the Distance Selling Regulations if you buy something sight unseen over the Internet or Mail Order that you may return it within 7 working days for any reason but if you buy in a shop you have no such right. Of course in the interests of good customer relations many stores will exchange.

mcdermott_c

Novice Member
is it likely the alu macbook will get the processor upgrade too ? just about to buy a macbook and wondered whether to hold off to see if the alu gets upgraded or just go for it seeing as you can get a free ipod just now

cheers

NewBeetle

Distinguished Member
is it likely the alu macbook will get the processor upgrade too ? just about to buy a macbook and wondered whether to hold off to see if the alu gets upgraded or just go for it seeing as you can get a free ipod just now

cheers
The ipod deal runs all the way til september so unless you need the macbook now most things point towards them being updated very soon.

mcdermott_c

Novice Member
The ipod deal runs all the way til september so unless you need the macbook now most things point towards them being updated very soon.
I am macless having sold my imac but i could use a dreaded PC for now and hold off to see what happens.

Good deal on the alu with educational discount and free ipod which i will flog on fleebay since i have an iphone

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month

Latest News

Anthem launches latest AV receivers, processors and amplifiers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Naim and Focal discount premium music systems
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 28th October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton