White label -R discs

Oldi

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have some white label discs which were sold as "printable", does this mean I can print sticky labels for them or do I need a special printer?
Also is not recommended to stick labels to ordinary -R, for example Sony or Maxells, if I do, what problems may happen?
I have read of the possibility it may fall off in the player due to heat.
The reason for asking is that I have just bought a label set and I don't want to damage discs/player etc.

Thanks.

With the correct printer you can print directly onto the 'printable' disks. I now do this and get excellent results.
Until recently I did stick the labels onto disks with no real problems other than them starting to peel off after a while. Also the more ink on them the quicker I found they started to peel, so putting a photo onto the label was not a good idea.
Personally I wouldn't worry about the type of disk you put a lavbel on. With the exception of the printable disks the top surface is all much the same between the differing disks.

Mark.

The problem is that applaying a sticker or to much ink on the dvd will cause it to be unstable.
DVD's are spinning in up to 10000 rpm and if the disc isn't balanced it could break into tousands of pieces and crash youre player. Or "just" destroy your spindelmotor.
In the DVD-specification there are actually parameters for how the manufactures are allowed to apply ink at the top of the disc so unbalance won't arise. There's got to be the same amount of ink at the hole disc.

Mark,

out of interest which printer do you use?

I've got the Epson R200. At around £99 its a great photo/CD/DVD printer that uses separate ink tanks to save money.
Printing disks is very simple and the results so far (only had it about a month) have been excellent.

Mark.

Hmm I use a Lexmark P707 and use the £4.99 for 50 gloss CD labels on ebay. Printed out loads now and not had any problems with them peeling off..

This Epson R200 does it print on any DVD / CD ? I see it now goes for £85 from www.ebuyer.com. Is this the best there is for this purpose ?

No, you can only print onto disks stated as being 'injet printable'. They all have a plain white surface, but not all plain white surface disks are printable.
The R200 (or R300 with built in card reader/LCD screen) is a very good, cheapish printer for printing disks and is also a very good boarderless photo printer. I think it is about the cheapest printer to offer this but there are others from Epson and now Canon. I'm not aware of any others that offer disk printing.

Mark.

Thanks for all the info Mark, I have printed a CD label for the first time and it's OK but I was pushed for time.

If I was to buy the printer does it,
1 come with software to print to disc,
2 have a special device to hold the disc
and finaly
3 can non Epson cartridges be used?

Thanks
Ged

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes :D

Yes all the required software is suplied. You do also get the disk holder and a full set of 6 ink tanks, so other than a USB cabler there's nothing else that you need to buy.
I've got 3rd party inks to replace the supplied Epson inks once they run out. I've not used them as yet so don't know how good they will be. They cost me £4.29 each (5 colours) plus £5.49 for the black. The Epsons are about £10 each. I got them from Here

Mark.

:cool:
Thanks,
called at the local Staples, explained to her indoors of the cost savings over our current HP printer, awaiting the cost of some building work before I can flash the cash.:mad:

I'm using the Prodisk and they have white labels and they have been crumbling and flaking off in my E60. Am I alone with this 'hot' recorder problem?

Regards

Dude

I don't have a problem with the discs in any of my decks,apart from some not playing too well in the Sony.
I picked them up at a computer fare and forgot to ask who made them!

Canon i865 prints to CD's. It comes with an adaptor and software. It has separate tanks is very very quiet and fast. Its a bargain at £130ish.

Just got one, not tried the CD printing yet though. The borderless A4 photos are stunning!

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave,
Just had the nod from the bank, only problem is I loaned a projector last night and will just have to put the printer behind this unless all is spent on the building.
Too many toys and too little cash!
My brother has just text me to say that Maxell are now 10 for£10 at Morrisons so if sticking labels on branded media is OK I may not rush.
A big factor though is the ability of the Epson to print on discs but run on compatible inks, a new lot for my HP is almost £70 so I will have to do it for that reason at least.

Ged

Pearsonally the cheapest and easiest meathod is to write on them with a CD pen.

No peeling lables. No expensive printer with ink, no premium on buying printable disks just £4.99 for 4 pens from PC world.

(fair enough it doesnt look snazzy but i aint publishing disks or copying them to look like originals)

kris

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom