1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

white, icestorm or goo?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by scott33b, Aug 25, 2004.

1. scott33b

scott33b
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi folks. Having read all the posts on Goo and icestorm, I'm not sure which to pick. I've got a barco 801s and have read some sites recommending for a CRT pj you should use a white screen. Are the other 2 only a benefit to LCD pjs?

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,670
    Digital pjs can't project black because they use a lamp, so a grey screen can help improve black level if it needs it. Grey screens are also useful if you have ambient light in the room, and the grey scren can help neutralise the effects, and give better image definition.

CRTs generaly need at least unity gain, which can be achieved with the use of a few coats of a good quality matt white paint. If you need a little more 'punch' to the image, a screen with gain would be required - something like a 1.3 or greater. The gain required will depending on light output of the pj and size of your screen, as you're after a certain level of light reflection. If you know the light output of the pj and your screen area, it can be calculated.

Stewart Screns do a screen which is colour corrected for CRT, but is very expensive. Goo do a similar product for CRT (as well as digitals) which gets great reviews but is a fraction of the cost. If you're DIY painting skills are up to it, Goo could be a viable alternative.

Do you know your pjs light output? If so, post it here along with your screen diemnsions, and I should be able to tell you what gain you need.

Gary.

3. scott33b

scott33b
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Gary. I'll need to look in to the light output. I'm building an 8' wide screen