1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

White Formika as a screen

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by vicbarry, Jan 20, 2004.

1. vicbarry

vicbarry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hey all. I hope i have the correct spelling of this. I am about to purchase a Sony Hs20 and at the moment my budget does not include a screen. I am planning to use a 7x4 sheet of plain white Formika (the sort of wood that is used in alot of kitchen cupboards, indeed my mother has it in her kitchen). I have tried out my old Hitachi CPS220 off my mothers cupboards and the image was quite bright and suprisingly good.

Does anybody else have experience with white formika. How do you think the HS20 would look on it.

Cheers.
    Vic
    :clap:

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    I don't think this is a great idea. The covering is likely yto not reflect light evenly resulting in colour shift and hot spotting.

A cheap alternative that is likely to be MUCH better would be a piece of 12mm MDF from Homebase painted with matt white paint.

Gordon

3. vicbarry

vicbarry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Never thought of that Gordon. Thanks for that. Ill see how bad or good the formika is before i go for the MDF. But it sounds a far better alternative.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I tend to agree with Gordon. Formica has a slightly glossy surface which is most deffinitely NOT what is required here.

A piece of MDF and a tin of emulsion will cost less. I suggest you use a roller (rather than a brush) to do the painting - so as to get a more even finish.

5. smartiepants

smartiepants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I to have tried white formica it tends to reflect light back (is this what you guys call hot spotting?)its good as a temp solution but i am looking to invest in a screen im a bit confused with so many types its for my H56 :)

6. vicbarry

vicbarry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    .[​IMG]
    Went ahead and got my formika screen together for about €25. The image here is from taxi 3 on my hitachi cps220. Its a bit greenish not sure why.

Previously i was only using a bedsheet :blush: but since i made the DIY screen i have noticed a better and brighter PQ from the hitachi. When my HS20 arrives on mon/tues next week ill post some pics. Cant wait
    [​IMG]