White balance Problem

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by londonr, May 1, 2007.

1. londonr

londonr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have posted this in a few places so apologies if you have seen this before.

I have a really bad white balance problem, for example if you watch a soccer game and if the team is playing in white, that it seems to be a bit saturated, like it glows a bit - makes it hard on the eyes. Also the lads in the studio, if they have a white shirt on, it just seems a little to bright. I have adjust the contrast and brightness as much as I can without it being way to dark, but it doesn't seem to help. Someone on another forum suggested that my problem is the Gamma and I need to lower it a bit? Sounds like a trip to the service menu - I am reluctant, but desperate! I would go in and make one specified change if I thought it would work.

I have a Panny 42" PV500 with set us follows

Cinema
    Contrast around 50
    Brightness around 40
    Color around 30
    Sharpness 10
    Normal or warm (don't like the yellow in warm, and it didn't help anyway)
    Everything else off

2. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,025
    The contrast control will effect the white level in the image. Although the controls will interact to a degree. If I have my contrast up too high on my TV or PJ then it looks like you say with white shirts, etc. Have you tried using DVE or the THX Optimiser found for eg on Star Wars, to set up the brightness and contrast? Basically you need to set up the brightness so that blacks are black and not grey and the contrast so that whites are not crushed (you can use clouds on a sky scene to tell). Don't just turn the brightness down or you'll get a dark picture with crushed blacks.;)

Although the DVE/THX are on DVD, so long as you use the 'standard' settings on your DVD player, then the regular TV settings probably won't be too far off. Maybe your TV allows different settings for each input anyway?

Have you looked in the Plasma forums for other people's settings for this model? I did that for my TV and used them as a starting point to fine tune them to my liking. I nearly bought the PV500 myself and I don't recall it having 'glowing whites'; after I'd fiddled with the settings anyway.

Hope this helps.:hiya:

3. Neil Davidson

Neil Davidson
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    There is also nothing useful in the service menu apart from Greyscale controls.

It sounds like the greyscale needs to be calibrated and then brightness and contrast reset.

Neil

4. londonr

londonr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My problem is well described in this link http://www.extron.com/company/article.aspx?id=ts0731
    if you look at figure 2 (Too high contrast setting blocks highlight detail) if you look at the ladies shirt, that is the problem I have, but it desent seem to matter how much I turn down contrast the shirts always glare like this. Do you think the greyscale adjustment might fix this? Do you know of anyone in Ireland who can calibrate for me?

Thanks

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,101
    It would indeed seem as if the gamma is incorrect then. If turning down the contrast doesn't help then it's some other setting on panel or it's getting broken in the source...if you are using Sky then in settings turn the CONTRAST to Low or Mid. If you have a DVD player with contrast control then turn it down on it. If you have a powersave mode on the plasma then turn it off.

Gordon

6. londonr

londonr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you know of anyone in Ireland!

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,101
    There was a chap called Paul "something"who was a forum member who was over your way. Piers has been on a trip to Ireland and may be going on another and I am coming over in August at some point.

You can find a locator at www.imagingscience.com

Gordon