White, ALR or grey screen?

JamesP1701

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've gone to Ricky at Kalibrate to get a custom size pull down screen made to go in front of my TV.

This will be paired with my Epson 9400 screen and will be in my living room, replacing my current 92 inch screen.

I am able to get the room completely black from any external light source, and have dark walls and ceilings, albeit with lighter carpets. MB - since the pictures were taken, the ceiling is now the same colour as the walls and we have a dark rug covering much of the carpet.

I confess with my current screen, I've always been impressed with the pictures. Yes,the blacks are nowhere near my OLED level, but then I knew they never would be.

Ricky has asked if I want to stay with a white screen or go to ALR or grey. I'd be very interested in some thoughts!

With thanks,

James

D6E33BD5-D56C-4F00-AF13-2EEF9BD1C638.jpeg

06C0F32C-D580-49FC-ADC6-06E79049F369.jpeg

I think you need to see the difference, White neutral gain is the reference, when you go ALR you introduce some distortion to the image like hot-spotting and reduced viewing angle, potential, a gray screen will lower the black level, but also white level, to compensate for that you will open up your iris more and that way reduce contrast.
Personally, i would go for a neutral white screen, or a reference 1.1-1.3 reference screen like Steward Studiotek 130, but only for bigger screens than yours.

Last edited:
the pictures were taken, the ceiling is now the same colour as the walls and we have a dark rug covering much of the carpet.
if the two obvious issues been taken care off in the room and with no ambient light... go the white screen .. no need for ALR or grey. ALR come with their bunch of bothers ... and grey gives up ever being able to do pure white...

@JamesP1701 i have replied in the other thread but could duplicate it here if you prefer. Out of curiosity how big can you actually go before the screen started to obstruct the L&R speakers?

ALR screen in that room will work wonders.

ALR screen in that room will work wonders.
I agree with the white ceiling etc an ALR will combat the reflections coming off it and the walls but the main issues with them are hot spots but less likely when the projector is well back from the screen and it's narrower viewing angle which I found to be more troubling when I got my samples. They are brilliant at what they do and if you are viewing from straight on or there abouts but on a chair or sofa off to the side and a bit closer to the screen as is with a typical living room those people will be getting a very dull image to watch.

I agree with the white ceiling etc an ALR will combat the reflections coming off it and the walls but the main issues with them are hot spots but less likely when the projector is well back from the screen and it's narrower viewing angle which I found to be more troubling when I got my samples. They are brilliant at what they do and if you are viewing from straight on or there abouts but on a chair or sofa off to the side and a bit closer to the screen as is with a typical living room those people will be getting a very dull image to watch.

viewing angle will hopefully only be an issue for the armchair which isn't facing the screen anyway :)

His ceiling is now same as the walls guys...

His ceiling is now same as the walls guys...
In that case I would probably forget about an ALR and just go either white or grey if you want a slight boost in black levels.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom