1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

whistling Sky

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by deezel, Jul 28, 2005.

1. deezel

deezel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Turned on sky today and it seems I have a bird in my sky (box)

Its a whistling sound.

No probs with terrestial but all stations on sky are accompanied by a whistle

Tried pushing all the cables home, and the whistle did flicker whilst I was doing this but the whistle persists.

Its a new box, thomson

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Seems to be a common fault with Thomson boxes, you're the second one today ! Apparently a forced software download may fix it (remove power from the box, hold down "backup" button on front panel & keep held down whilst reapplying power, release button when you see the on-screen message). If this doesn't fix it, you'll need to get the box swapped out.

3. deezel

deezel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    yup, saw that other post.

i got onto sky and he told me to switch off everything for 10 minutes.

Sceptically, i tried this and low and behold the whistling has stopped......

... for now.

If it re-occurs I'll try that fix you suggested, failing that i'll get sky out

4. bignige

bignige

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Third! I keep getting the whistling, unplugging usually does the trick.

5. Daddy

Daddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I posted last week with exactly the same problem from a Thomson box. The Sky engineer is coming out today to take a look but of course it's not doing it right now ! I'm hoping for a replacement but if not I'll try the software download thingy. I'm surprised the Sky tech helpline never suggested it ..?

Andy

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It's not likely to be a software thing. If your box isn't retaining its programming in memory, you have serious problems. It's more likely to be the power supply. Not a fault exactly, more of an annoyance. If a repetitive fault exists in a particular type of box, you can be sure the engineer knows about it, even if he doesn't let on.

7. Daddy

Daddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The sky engineer just came & he knew about the problem. It only affects Thomson boxes and according to him can be fixed with a software update but only if the box is whistling at the time you do the fix (presumably so you can prove it has worked ?).

Anyway I now have a brand new Panasonic box. Not sure of the model but at least it's a decent brand and goes nicely with my Viera & E55 DVDR !

Andy.