Whistle on 2nd Panny PV500

hmm... thick and fluffy ... where is my cat ?.

Seriously anybody used insulation of any kind on the wall behind a wall mounted plasma ? . What gives the best effect ?

Hehe, I'm gonna try the bendy foam that gets packed around things like hard disks for transportation first.

Got two strips of that currently doing a blinding job of silencing our Sky+ box which developed a very evil hum which due to the box having no rubber feet, was being amplified by the Alphason stand! I have some 4-5 inch square bits still lying around.

I suspect due to the distance, something more fluffy will be required.. the cushion I held was really very fluffy indeed :)

My PV500 (1 week old) whistles from the left speaker and buzzes from the right hand side at the back, doesn't bother me though, can't hear it over normal TV volume....

I can hear mine when displaying bright images (and my pc) . It's not their all the time but when it is all the dogs in the neighbourhood stick to my living room window :D

I definatly need to buy something to insulate it .... its currently mounted on a painted plaster wall, and the living room has woodfloor. I think if I can insulate the back of the wall with something it may help. I have about 15mm from the wall to the back of the TV bracket.

The material that it needs to be must have plenty of 'texture', I have confirmed that simple acoustic foam is not enough. I think in my case the reason is that the TV is only about 15 cms from the wall, so foam is still allowing the sound to reflect a little. The material I first used in my original makeshift sloution was fabric from a thick sports wind cheater. The texture was like balls or tufts of fuzzy wool, except the fibre is a poly.

There is another possibility I am going to trial, is similar to this:
http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/24097_PE094777_S3.jpg
It is a rug, but I'm now thinking of getting one (I can take one home on trial) and seeing if it works. If it does then I will 'stretch' the rug just like a canvas on a wooden frame and simply hang it behind the TV. I will try and source the rug type material in a fabric shop first though, as buying one ready made would be not cost effective.

I've contacted my dealer and emailed Panasonic again as to be honest mine buzzes louder that it did before it was repaired.

Oh and yet another problem this time I bought a Sony DVDP NS92v HDMI player and conected it up with a HAMA HDMI cable and :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: no picture..........a seperate thread however

All this and the PQ still amazes.

TekHousE said:
The material that it needs to be must have plenty of 'texture', I have confirmed that simple acoustic foam is not enough. I think in my case the reason is that the TV is only about 15 cms from the wall, so foam is still allowing the sound to reflect a little. The material I first used in my original makeshift sloution was fabric from a thick sports wind cheater. The texture was like balls or tufts of fuzzy wool, except the fibre is a poly.

There is another possibility I am going to trial, is similar to this:
http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/24097_PE094777_S3.jpg
It is a rug, but I'm now thinking of getting one (I can take one home on trial) and seeing if it works. If it does then I will 'stretch' the rug just like a canvas on a wooden frame and simply hang it behind the TV. I will try and source the rug type material in a fabric shop first though, as buying one ready made would be not cost effective.

That's a much better description of the plan that came to my mind!

Let us know how you get on :)

Guys!
I have a NON Whistling Panasonic Th42PV500 now!! :) The fix I posted in this thread earlier, the one with the card being replaced, has now worked for my TV.

Why?

Well Panasonic here in Finland know and accept responsibility for the 'whistle' fault. The board I posted here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2204429&highlight=whistle#post2204429

Has finally worked because Panasonic modified the card itself and replaced a capacitor on it.

The card was installed today and my TV is nice and quiet. :) I suggest that all of you that have the same problems, push your dealer or service rep to ask around Panasonic Globally as the fix IS out there, trust me. ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom