Whistle on 2nd Panny PV500

pwood

Hi,
I have just received my replacement one today and there is still a whistle/shooshing noise from the right hand speaker the 2 guys installing also heard it. I am still unsure whether its as bad as previous model but it is still there. I contacted the Panasonic shop where I got it and they said that they have not had anyone else with this problem but would email Panny UK regards this issue and get back to me.

Can I ask all 500 owners who have this problem to let me know and if anyone has had anything from Panasonic UK admitting to this fault could they also mention this.

I know there is mention of this in the sticky but its kinda buried now.

Thanks in advance.

M

morganog

pwood said:
Hi,
I have just received my replacement one today and there is still a whistle/shooshing noise from the right hand speaker the 2 guys installing also heard it. I am still unsure whether its as bad as previous model but it is still there. I contacted the Panasonic shop where I got it and they said that they have not had anyone else with this problem but would email Panny UK regards this issue and get back to me.

Can I ask all 500 owners who have this problem to let me know and if anyone has had anything from Panasonic UK admitting to this fault could they also mention this.

I know there is mention of this in the sticky but its kinda buried now.

Thanks in advance.

I am also on my second whistling pv500

pwood

Have you given up then? I think I might email Panasonic UK just to see what they say. I tried their customer service line but "ALL PLASMAS BUZZ" apparently and the whistle issue seemed beyond the script reader I spoke to.

Update: I have requested a response from Panny UK using their online contact us email system.

tscotsman

no whistling on my one and no buzzing either

willardone

Standard Member
I've had my 500 since august, no whistling and slight buzz can be heard if you put your head at the back behind the right speaker (fan or psu) but you cant hear anything with volume off and in front of tv.

pwood

I'm sure someone got a reply from Panasonic regards the whistle. I know most dont do this as the one in the Panny shop doesnt. However all 500(plasmas) buzz to a certain extent depending on the brightness of the picture on screen at the time. Whether it bothers you or not depends on you susceptibility to it.

dvdchild

I am also on my 2nd PV500 as it had exactly the same problem you reported with this weird whistling sound from right hand speaker area - I just got mine sent back and swopped for a replacement and this now has no problems at all so far.

My advise would be get it sent back and make sure they test the replacement before giving it to you - This is what i did as i was not gonna any more faulty screens.

I never did find out what the actually problem was???

DVDCHILD

H

Hampers

Now that you mention it, mine does as well. Doesn't particularly bother me as the ambient sound more than drowns it out and as Panasonic conditioned me with my previous 36" CRT which had an inherent buzz. Can't see myself dismantling it and sending it back having treated it with kid gloves in getting it home but would like to have a Panasonic opinion on it!

pwood

Just received a ( very quick) reply from Panasonic Uk customer services. They advise that whistle can be cured by replacing the board in the speaker which can be done by any auth panasonic repairer. I have forwarded their response to the local panasonic shop who are looking at the quickest way to resolve this.
One option would be to repair the one I just sent back as there was nothing wrong with it apart from that annoying whistle. The other is a new set which Panasonic admit are currently on order which would result in a long wait.

Jim_Fear

Mine had a faint whistle which i only notice if its muted and my head is right up to the screen, it doesn't annoy me so I wont let it spoil my plasmatic delight :)

TekHousE

Standard Member
pwood said:
Just received a ( very quick) reply from Panasonic Uk customer services. They advise that whistle can be cured by replacing the board in the speaker which can be done by any auth panasonic repairer. I have forwarded their response to the local panasonic shop who are looking at the quickest way to resolve this.
One option would be to repair the one I just sent back as there was nothing wrong with it apart from that annoying whistle. The other is a new set which Panasonic admit are currently on order which would result in a long wait.
For details about the above mentioned repair see THIS POST. But it did not work for my TV ( there are pics of this in my post )

Edge_san

Standard Member
Hiya,

I just received my new TH37PV500 the other day and noticed a 'whistling' noise coming from the speakers too. From where I sit, it's quite audible and the only solution is to drown it out by turning the volume up.

I've just sent an e-mail to Panasonic UK via their 'Contact us' on their site to see what they say about it.

DrW

Standard Member
I'm so pleased to see this thread, I thought I was going mad.

I've just recieved a second PV500 myself after the first one was sent back with a whistling noise in the right speaker, and this new one does it too. I've been all over the house, turning off every bit of electrical equipment that I could find to see if any of them were causing it, but nothing changed.

When the Comet repairman came out to look at the first one, he disconnected the right speaker, which put a stop to the sound, so he said that it must be a fault with the unit and arranged a replacement. As I say though, the new one is just as bad, and even has a slight fan buzz to add to the noise.

It's very odd, sometimes you can hardly hear it with your ear to the speaker and at other times it's like a boiling kettle that you can hear from across the room even with the audio turned right up (I don't use the TV speakers, I've got it running through an external amp).

I guess I'll have to get the man out again and see if he can replace the board that's mentioned in the other thread. At least I know I'm not on my own with the problem.

WSH

Where are these being bought from? It may be a faulty batch. I got 5 sony 36" TVs with faults from John Lewis before beying a perfect 6th one from Allders.

TekHousE

Standard Member
As I wrote in the other thread, the board worked for one customer in my area but not for me. By the way this BUZZING that everyone is talking about is real easy to fix.

Just as a thought I wondered if the buzzing was worsened by the fact that most flat screens are very close to the wall or even worse hanging on it! I was thinking that as mine buzzes a little bit too I would damp the area behind the TV by holding up a pretty 'fuzzy' material jacket I have. Well my wife was sitting in the 'best' viewing position and once I held the jacket up behind the tv (basically holding it against the wall on the SD slot side of the TV, she could not hear anything (except for the 'whistle' noise ofcourse). So I have fixed my buzzing completely. If you are right over the TV with your ear to the back on the top right side (SD slot side) you can hear it, but with a simple fabric baffle I put up behind the TV there is no buzzing apparent from viewing distances.

I guess I could do one better and make a cool looking frame and insert some dedicated sound proofing foam etc. But it was a hunch I had about reflected noise and I seem to have been right for my case at least.

Maybe this helps someone else? :)

EDIT: I bought mine in Finland a few weeks ago. So i doubt it is a batch as most of you guys are in the UK right?

pixelated

Currently my PV500 is on the cabinet stand... and it buzzes like a Bee on heat. However I've found a high-tech solution... I've stuck two pillows behind it, no more buzzing from viewing distance :p

Stu

pwood

I have received my repaired 500 back and the whistle is gone.
HOWEVER after a couple of days the buzz is starting to grate and I am now pondering what to do next I had it away for a couple of weeks and the replacement made more mechanical noise and buzzed as well. Really am reluctant to contact the dealer again but unlike the wife i cant focus the noise out :mad: .
Mine sits on and IKEA av rack and the back of the screen is approx 1/2 ft away from the back wall. I tried a cushion place behind and the buzzing is mutted slightly but its hardly a solution.
I am concerned about overheating and I wonder how those that wall mount get on especially those that build a frame round them. I suppose this is a question for the installers out there.

TekHousE

Standard Member
@pwood
Do not put anything ON the TV at the back! The fix I have is behind the TV on the wall approx. 7" away from the back of the TV.
I am now going to make a frame and insert that will look like 'art' and it will be fixed to the wall behind the TV.
Bottom line is ALL plasma tv's and all tv's full stop, BUZZ. One of the problems with flat screens is that there is not much depth to the back fo the TV (obviously for a good reason) but this also means that any noise exits the TV before bouncing around on things inside the case (for example old TV's are usually pretty deep) It is simple to see that this is why TV's that are flat panels and that are very shallow in depth, will produce more sounds like buzzing etc. It is the nature of sound waves they will travel quite a distance if they are left unimpeded.If you have ever seen the 'old school' home studio solutions of egg cartons on the walls, then you get the idea. Break up the sound waves and the area the sound is within will seem quieter.

pwood

Tekhouse, I actually held a cushion behind the TV approx 3" and was suprised at the result. Fixing a cushion to the wall for some reason made the wife unhappy :rotfl: Perhaps you could post a picture of your solution so I can see how wife friendly it is.
There are folks who have quiet 500's and I wonder if those that do could let us know how they are installed ie proximity to wall, furnishings etc.

I wonder if the casework could be dampened with something like the stuff used in car audio called Dynamat without covering the vent holes and what effect it would have. Mind you sticking stuff to my 5 year warranted screen would be a bad idea. But it seems to have been done to good effect elsewhere.

TekHousE

Standard Member
I just had a minor problem with my makeshift solution...tonight during a party we had (my solution is not too stable it seems.. LOL it fell down.. I am going to make a dedicated frame, think a picture frame a little bigger than my panasonic 42" and instead of canvas stretched over it I am going to go fabric shopping for some wooly or fuzzy type of cloth. I actually have a windbreaker made out of the exact material I am looking for. I will post pics as soon as I have a workable and stable solution.

monkeyboy69

I seem to be getting this whistling noise on my pe50 from the bottom right hand speaker, which is quite loud, well enough to warrant me asking for a replacement. So it doesn't just seem like a pv500 issue.

pad

Standard Member
I also get this noise on my Hitachi 42pd7200 ... very annoying but been told its "acceptable". Does mounting dynomat on the wall behind the TV (its wall mounted) deaden this sound ?

Thanks

AndyH

pwood said:
Tekhouse, I actually held a cushion behind the TV approx 3" and was suprised at the result. Fixing a cushion to the wall for some reason made the wife unhappy :rotfl: Perhaps you could post a picture of your solution so I can see how wife friendly it is.
There are folks who have quiet 500's and I wonder if those that do could let us know how they are installed ie proximity to wall, furnishings etc.

I wonder if the casework could be dampened with something like the stuff used in car audio called Dynamat without covering the vent holes and what effect it would have. Mind you sticking stuff to my 5 year warranted screen would be a bad idea. But it seems to have been done to good effect elsewhere.

I held a cushion behind my PV500 and was very surprised at the result! I didn't think sound of that frequency would be absorbed so well (and I did an acoustics degree.. ahem).

With my stand, I can actually mount some stiff card on the bracket which the PV500 is attached to. There would be probably 2-3 inches of clearance between the card and the grill holes.

Question is, what material to stick to the card... I'm thinking very thick fuzzy felt, or more accurately, a cheap alternative. It needs to be thick and fluffy, as a tea towel made zero difference.

pad

Standard Member
hmm... thick and fluffy ... where is my cat ?.

Seriously anybody used insulation of any kind on the wall behind a wall mounted plasma ? . What gives the best effect ?

AndyH

Hehe, I'm gonna try the bendy foam that gets packed around things like hard disks for transportation first.

Got two strips of that currently doing a blinding job of silencing our Sky+ box which developed a very evil hum which due to the box having no rubber feet, was being amplified by the Alphason stand! I have some 4-5 inch square bits still lying around.

I suspect due to the distance, something more fluffy will be required.. the cushion I held was really very fluffy indeed :)

bis96gw

My PV500 (1 week old) whistles from the left speaker and buzzes from the right hand side at the back, doesn't bother me though, can't hear it over normal TV volume....

pad

Standard Member
I can hear mine when displaying bright images (and my pc) . It's not their all the time but when it is all the dogs in the neighbourhood stick to my living room window :D

I definatly need to buy something to insulate it .... its currently mounted on a painted plaster wall, and the living room has woodfloor. I think if I can insulate the back of the wall with something it may help. I have about 15mm from the wall to the back of the TV bracket.

TekHousE

Standard Member
The material that it needs to be must have plenty of 'texture', I have confirmed that simple acoustic foam is not enough. I think in my case the reason is that the TV is only about 15 cms from the wall, so foam is still allowing the sound to reflect a little. The material I first used in my original makeshift sloution was fabric from a thick sports wind cheater. The texture was like balls or tufts of fuzzy wool, except the fibre is a poly.

There is another possibility I am going to trial, is similar to this:
http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/24097_PE094777_S3.jpg
It is a rug, but I'm now thinking of getting one (I can take one home on trial) and seeing if it works. If it does then I will 'stretch' the rug just like a canvas on a wooden frame and simply hang it behind the TV. I will try and source the rug type material in a fabric shop first though, as buying one ready made would be not cost effective.

Trending threads

Latest news

Samsung and LG squabble over QLED definition
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
2019 Emmy wins for Sky TV shows
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
BritBox adds Channel 5 and Comedy Central to roster
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 23rd Sept - Spears and Munsil