Whisky drinkers? Which is best?

Someone has given me this as they say they will not drink it as they don't like whisky, I'll have it, I just had to have a sip, tasted very nice and sweet, but only took a sip and covered it over as I am going for a run, I'll try the rest later, I'm sure I could taste Smoke though o_O
1620146879151.png

Couple of new to me bottles and a gifted Laphroaig 10 :D
IMG_20210505_181705.jpg

Couple of new to me bottles and a gifted Laphroaig 10 :D
View attachment 1506544

I have a bottle of Bowmore 12 coming tomorrow, it's supposedly a light peaty job was quite cheap, I have a bottle of that HP12 Viking Legend which is again supposedly lightly peated, but I can't taste any on it lol, and also a bottle of this, it's beautiful, absolutely gorgeous :love:

1620236377549.png

The bowmore was only €14! That the same money has the cheap blended stuff in plastic bottles. Got the HP has Whiskey Tribe rate it as a decent bargain buy.

I'll grab a bottle of Balvenie at some point. It's in my Amazon list of one's to buy. Problem is, that list exceeds 1k 😂

The Highland Park isnt bad. Not getting much of the smoke, but certainly fruit and spice. Certainly a decent sipper (so far).

The Highland Park isnt bad. Not getting much of the smoke, but certainly fruit and spice. Certainly a decent sipper (so far).

I couldn't taste any smoke at all on it? I quite like it to be fair, a bit weak but hey ho it's still a nice sip.

Has your bottle of HP10 bottle got the new cork thingy on it? I was wondering what was going on at 1st, until I sussed it out :laugh:.

The smoke is in the finish, but it is just a hint. I ended up having the neck pour from all 3 new bottles..oops 🤫

It's been a long day, so a drop or 3 is on the menu..

It's been a long day, so a drop or 3 is on the menu..
I had 5 shots, only singles over about 6 hours and 2 pints of fermented apple, and fell asleep on the sofa :laugh:

I was doing ok until I got the Laphroaig out..cue waking up on the sofa at 3am confused...😂

So what's on the menu tonight?

Having a few beers first and then will be moving onto a couple of Eagle Rare or maybe one of those and a Buffalo Trace :) Trying to make the most of the next 7 days as I’ll be moving out of my 50s into the dreaded 60s on the 22nd - eek!!

60 is the new 40! or so the old people say :rotfl:

I'm polishing off the Bowmore. Was cheap so didn't feel guilty about plowing through it like a 'pro'

Talisker Storm and Buffalo Trace. The latter was a gift which I don’t care for much, but I’m not going to waste it. TheTalisker is empty now but was a lovely drop.

Anybody catch the guys from whisky-me.com on Dragons Den last night?

A monthly subscription service. Looks very interesting - and they won backing from 3 of the dragons.

Was that where you get a taster pouch of a product you might not want to buy a whole bottle of? I had it on in the background and wasn't really paying attention.

Was that where you get a taster pouch of a product you might not want to buy a whole bottle of? I had it on in the background and wasn't really paying attention.
That is the one, I have just watched that bit.

One last night front, I had too many :D started off with a shot of Glengoyne then 3 pints of cider with a shot of Balvenie and 2 Lasanta's then 1 Jack n Cola, 1 Jim and Cola and finished off with an Auchentoshan Triple Wood and then crawled to bed at circa 3 AM :confused:, good job I only drink once a week!

Last edited:
5cl of whiskey each month in a pouch that'll fit through the letterbox. On the show they claimed most whiskies were from bottles worth £50-£100 but no such comments on the website.

As noted on the show, the trick is that they get most the whisky for free and convince the distilleries etc that its marketing for them.

Interesting, thanks.

There are plenty of others which offer similar services. Usually priced yearly at 250-300. 4 samples a month (5cl) and 1 whole bottle a quarter. They ask you what your preference is so you get samples you like. The bottle you choose from a selection based on your preferences.

I've pondered signing up to one myself.

Anyone tried this? Cask strength Islay for 50 notes...
Screenshot_2021-05-18-20-01-58-800_com.facebook.katana.jpg

Got a birthday coming up so thinking of buying myself a bottle or two. Got the shortlist down to Talisker 10yo (£30), Laphroaig Quarter Cask (£34) and Glenfarclas 10yo (£32).

Never tried any of them but do like the Laphroaig 10yo, so think the Quarter Cask will qualify automatically, probably. Anyone got any comments of which two of the three would be the ones to go for?

Quarter cask is lovey. A step up from the 10 in every way. I'm jealous you can get it so cheap! It's 49 notes here. The 10 is 32-35.

The other 2 I haven't had. I'd go for the Talisker over the glenfarclas based on what I've read about them though. The glen is suppose to very sweet. I had a bottle of Talisker Skye a while back, took me a half a bottle to 'get it' but by the end I said I'd buy another if it was on offer.

Quarter cask is lovey. A step up from the 10 in every way. I'm jealous you can get it so cheap! It's 49 notes here. The 10 is 32-35.

The other 2 I haven't had. I'd go for the Talisker over the glenfarclas based on what I've read about them though. The glen is suppose to very sweet. I had a bottle of Talisker Skye a while back, took me a half a bottle to 'get it' but by the end I said I'd buy another if it was on offer.
I think the QC is a no-brainer – love the 10, so a safe and sensible one to go for. For the other I'm leaning towards the Glenfarclas over the Talisker as I haven't 'been' to Speyside for a while. But then also throwing Ardbeg Wee Beastie into the mix, as it looks a bit different.

Might make things easy on myself and allow three to go in the basket.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom