Whisky drinkers? Which is best?

Going all highland this evening...

Attachments

• 80075D4B-4784-458A-82B2-C43F4DB02CEB.jpeg
    80075D4B-4784-458A-82B2-C43F4DB02CEB.jpeg
    389.7 KB · Views: 50
Back to work in the morning so I’ll probably have to have a big session tonight to cure the misery :)

Back to work in the morning so I’ll probably have to have a big session tonight to cure the misery :)
Snap!
Although work involves being in the same spot I watch TV from these days :laugh:

Snap!
Although work involves being in the same spot I watch TV from these days :laugh:

I’ve worked from home since 2003 so I’m used to it !

Finally got round to trying out the Glenallachie single cask batch 3 tasting kit.

PXL_20201231_190729164.jpg

The 12yo Rioja and 15yo virgin oak were particularly nice. Too bad they are difficult to find outside of a 6-bottle set at 1k - s bit difficult to take the plunge without at least a taster of the 31yo as well... :facepalm:

Finally got round to trying out the Glenallachie single cask batch 3 tasting kit.

View attachment 1434566

The 12yo Rioja and 15yo virgin oak were particularly nice. Too bad they are difficult to find outside of a 6-bottle set at 1k - s bit difficult to take the plunge without at least a taster of the 31yo as well... :facepalm:
That looks like a top evening to me!

is that a mini-wine thief you have there for the water? On the odd occasion I add water I tend to use a syringe, yours looks a lot nicer!

That looks like a top evening to me!

is that a mini-wine thief you have there for the water? On the odd occasion I add water I tend to use a syringe, yours looks a lot nicer!

It is actually a dedicated whisky water dropper from these guys - Angel's share glass

Yeah, it is pretty neat, actually. A rather cheap bunch of presents as well, given that you can get a 10-pack for just over £40.

The tasting kit was good, not the best Glenallachies I've had, but always good to try something new without having to buy a whole bottle. My local whisky shop happens to be run by Duncan Taylor Scotch Whisky who have been doing a monthly virtual live tasting for the last couple of months - highly recommended and good value at about £20 for 5x 30ml drams - this usually includes at least one sample of a rather expensive bottle (£500+).

They announce their upcoming tastings on their FB page and sell the tasting kits here: The Spirits Embassy | Online Whisky Store | Whiskies of Scotland :smashin:

@mcbainne went 18 first, now on the 15.

taking everything into consideration including price, 15 over 18 every time. The difference in nose, palate and finish is there but it’s not £40+ different.

I really do believe that around £80 is the point with whisky where you start getting diminishing returns. Obviously there are exceptions.

@mcbainne went 18 first, now on the 15.

taking everything into consideration including price, 15 over 18 every time. The difference in nose, palate and finish is there but it’s not £40+ different.

I really do believe that around £80 is the point with whisky where you start getting diminishing returns. Obviously there are exceptions.

Good to know, exactly the same thoughts as mine although King Alexander is a whole different level IMO. Clearly at more than double the price of the 15 it’s never going to be a regular dram but it goes to prove just how good the 15 is

Good to know, exactly the same thoughts as mine although King Alexander is a whole different level IMO. Clearly at more than double the price of the 15 it’s never going to be a regular dram but it goes to prove just how good the 15 is
Yeah, now to figure out a way to get hold of some that doesn’t involve me spending £150!

cigar malt is supposedly very good too.

HNY to you too :)

I have quite a few different Jim Beams and prefer JB to JD. I haven't tried that Red Stag though because I don't like cherry flavoured things. I was put off by glace cherries as a kid - always hated them so stayed clear of cherry things. I believe though that fresh cherries are nothing like the glace ones!

Also having a hatred of glacé cherries, you can rest assured this is NOTHING like glacé cherries! Tbh, it's not even particularly cherry-ish: it's just dark, sweet, with a slightly fruity edge. The JB bourbon shines through so there's no mistake what you're drinking. Maybe because it's a black cherry liqueur infused to the bourbon rather than a fruit juice/extract added to it? Don't know. But either way, it's lush...

Port Charlotte 10, 50% abv,from the Bruichladdich distillery, heavily peated, yes it is peaty, slight caramel, a smooth one,not as peaty as Ardbeg 10, and certainly not as peaty as Bruichladdich’s other product Octomore, which is mind blowing lol, very very nice though, and i love the style of the bottle
B371A677-D9AD-482B-B270-F7296371762A.jpeg

Port Charlotte 10, 50% abv,from the Bruichladdich distillery, heavily peated, yes it is peaty, slight caramel, a smooth one,not as peaty as Ardbeg 10, and certainly not as peaty as Bruichladdich’s other product Octomore, which is mind blowing lol, very very nice though, and i love the style of the bottle View attachment 1436872
Might have to make this my next purchase.

I stuck a bottle of Jura Winter Edition into the Tesco order last night, just to see what it about. Arrived today...will report back on Sunday!

Might have to make this my next purchase.

I stuck a bottle of Jura Winter Edition into the Tesco order last night, just to see what it about. Arrived today...will report back on Sunday!
It’s delicious, but i’d say it was on the lighter side of what you’d expect from an Islay whisky

It’s delicious, but i’d say it was on the lighter side of what you’d expect from an Islay whisky
Out of stock on Master of Malt.

In stock on Whisky Exchange, where it’s been voted the whisky of 2021.

Tonight’s trio

Attachments

• 89B0296E-74F7-430E-B729-6E267F22690A.jpeg
    89B0296E-74F7-430E-B729-6E267F22690A.jpeg
    349.2 KB · Views: 34
Tonight’s trio
Be interested in your thoughts on the Jura. Need to pick up a bottle from Tesco when I do the weekly shop and it’s the only thing on offer that’s interesting me.

Be interested in your thoughts on the Jura. Need to pick up a bottle from Tesco when I do the weekly shop and it’s the only thing on offer that’s interesting me.
It’s ok. Nothing spectacular, decent Sherry hit, some spices. Easy drinker.

considering it’s a litre bottle, well worth the money. My guess is it’s a travel special rebranded because of the lack of travel.

I prefer to think of myself as a non alcoholic, and rather consider myself a whisky drinker. However, as the national association of head teachers has recently come out and said that there is no such thing as a climate change in Scotland, I have come to the conclusion that it's time for me to it's time to get drunk :))

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom