Whiplash 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Evinger

Distinguished Member
Thanks for reminding me about this one. I'd also forgotten J.K. Simmons was one of the leads - big fan of his - he was absolutely brilliant in Counterpart, and it is a great shame they did not continue that series.

The 4K version is available from October 1st via my Disc Rental Service, so this is now at the top of my Wish List :)

Slinkywizard

Distinguished Member
I love this film dearly. But I can’t see it gaining much from 4K. It’s just not that sort of film. I have it on iTunes, so I wonder if they’ll upgrade it? Hold on, let me check...

No. Not yet. Probably will be, though, at some point.

encaser

Distinguished Member
Seeing Simmons in Oz destroyed any chance of not witnessing a variant of Vern Schillinger in every role since. It made me wonder that if he'd got some big(gish) TV award, as to whether the Oscar would've been scored?
For that reason, I found Miles Teller more compelling but also a little sad; as his way to win was to ultimately capitulate to the bully's way of thinking, where the only original artist wasn't actually from within.
Beat that drum, monkey boy...

featherhall

Distinguished Member
Great review. We watched it last night and agree with you. The visual and audio upgrades make this a fantastic purchase. Love this film

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
Definitely picking this up.

After going through this film, that final band scene with Fletcher, Andrew and Andrews' Dads face is amazing.

Badger Mushroom

Love this film, the audio in the end scene is superb on the normal blu-ray. I bet it sounds amazing in Atmos, first time I've actually wished I had such a speaker setup

Mk1chopper

Thanks for the review Cas, not heard about this film before and having played percussion at school many years ago gave it a watch via sky cinema at the weekend and loved it, really intense film and great performances, will look to pick this up and enjoy in full HD.

Harry Stotle

Thanks for the review. I've played at an amateur or quasi-professional level for decades and I found this movie utterly weird. To my eyes, it portrays jazz music and jazz education as if it were bootcamp or sports – it doesn't convey much (if any) of the joy, freedom and beauty that jazz brings. In my jazz world, I don't know anyone who wants to become the best, only people who want to do their best.

Tim2049

Thanks for the review. I've played at an amateur or quasi-professional level for decades and I found this movie utterly weird. To my eyes, it portrays jazz music and jazz education as if it were bootcamp or sports – it doesn't convey much (if any) of the joy, freedom and beauty that jazz brings. In my jazz world, I don't know anyone who wants to become the best, only people who want to do their best.

Quite agree, I think you've encapsulated my biggest issue with it too.

...along with Miles Teller's character having tissue paper for skin...

Harry Stotle

Yes, and I never really understood why he wanted to play music either, except for him wanting to be "the best". Whatever that might mean.

As an educator, it pains me to see tough guy Fletcher break just about every rule in the book. Any student of his that succeeds would have to be exceptional. I'm not talking about their musical ability, but their ability to endure abuse.

Mk1chopper

The film takes it to the extreme but I remember my music teacher who also conducted the school concert band being very driven by the music competitions, and picking music that was challenging to play rather than enjoyable to listen too, he also had his moments of walking off during rehearsal if we weren't keeping time. He seemed more concerned about the competition then inspiring students to be in the concert band and for me took the joy out it. I think that's why this film relates to me in one way but has me questioning why would you put up with that but then that's one of the point to the film, what are you willing to go through to achieve what you believe is greatness

Roohster

Distinguished Member
One of my favourite films of recent years, so I had to double dip and get this.

I watched the 4K disc last night and it's definitely worth the upgrade. There are some fantastic HDR touches, most noticeably on the brass instruments.

Looks excellent, sounds excellent, fantastic film, just buy it :p

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
Yes, and I never really understood why he wanted to play music either, except for him wanting to be "the best". Whatever that might mean.

As an educator, it pains me to see tough guy Fletcher break just about every rule in the book. Any student of his that succeeds would have to be exceptional. I'm not talking about their musical ability, but their ability to endure abuse.

Yes there is no joy in this film. And yes it does not celebrated Caravan etc until the end. However I don't see anything in the film that was trying to. It wasn't about enjoying the music.

Did Miles want to be the best before Fletcher took him on? I cannot remember, but I think his drive to be the best was to stick it to Fletcher.

While my teacher was miles away from Fletcher, he was a sod and bad timing boil his blood, but he rarely let loose in anger, but did stick to the annoyance level of Not My Tempo.

But as with just about every film ever made, if someone knows the content and knows what they are talking about said subject, it's going to annoy them just about every time. "Small hills to die on" exist for a reason.

Quite agree, I think you've encapsulated my biggest issue with it too.

...along with Miles Teller's character having tissue paper for skin...
As in he wimped out under Fletcher's rage? Really?

Tim2049

Yes there is no joy in this film. And yes it does not celebrated Caravan etc until the end. However I don't see anything in the film that was trying to. It wasn't about enjoying the music.

Did Miles want to be the best before Fletcher took him on? I cannot remember, but I think his drive to be the best was to stick it to Fletcher.

While my teacher was miles away from Fletcher, he was a sod and bad timing boil his blood, but he rarely let loose in anger, but did stick to the annoyance level of Not My Tempo.

But as with just about every film ever made, if someone knows the content and knows what they are talking about said subject, it's going to annoy them just about every time. "Small hills to die on" exist for a reason.

As in he wimped out under Fletcher's rage? Really?

No, i was being literal, I meant the bleeding hands. Anyone would think he'd just played blast beats for a day straight...

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
No, i was being literal, I meant the bleeding hands. Anyone would think he'd just played blast beats for a day straight...
Oh duh yeah I get you now lol.

I get the reasons why people (especially music students etc) hate on this film, for many good reasons tbo, but those reasons just didn't bother me. I didn't believe them for a second, but it still didn't care.

Harry Stotle

I just didn't get why he would want to endure all that if he didn't enjoy playing.

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
I just didn't get why he would want to endure all that if he didn't enjoy playing.
Well he did give up half way through and let Jock Boy take his place. He did eventually get what he was after from Fletcher in the end. FWIW, I reckon that was the last time he played. Makes your point even more correct, but hey, I like the film, what more can I say.

Harry Stotle

More power to you then. (I feel I have to qualify this as sincere. We’re on the internet, after all!)

Bullitt

I had no knowledge of this film until this glowing review so have just rented and viewed it on UHD and with a stunning Atmos soundtrack.
I loved the film. I was completely drawn into it. You keep asking why doesn't Neimann just upsticks and tell him where to stick his 'tempo'. So I interpret this as a character study of two men that are extremely driven : both wanting to be the best and ultimately going head to head in their personal battle that ends in total respect for the other.
Unfortunately neither seems to love the music and more tragically neither is a nice human. So sad to watch father Jim watching from the sides, realising he has finally lost his son: the childhood and innocence finally destroyed. I find myself comparing this to Black Swan, a film that demonstrated the transition from innocence to total obsession via a mentor even more clearly.
And although not a big fan of jazz, I will never forget or tire of that climatic Caravan performance.
9/10.

Last edited:

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
So sad to watch father Jim watching from the sides, realising he has finally lost his son: the childhood and innocence finally destroyed.
But, he also didn't think drumming was something to that was worth all of Andrew's efforts. He lost his son because he didn't support him like his other college football jock son. Had he had Andrew's battle, he would have supported him more since it was a career worth pursuing in his mind.

It's interesting that no-one really comes off well in this film. They are all not great people. But I loved this film and the unlikable characters much like The Wolf of Wall Street. Whereas say, The Prestige with it's unlikable characters I utterly detested.

aquello

Novice Member
Do you think Zavvi Whiplash 4K UHD is UK version?

This one:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022