• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Whining DLP

davidjohnson

Distinguished Member
I have a DLP projector which has started making a whining noise. It isn't too bad, but seems to be getting worse.
I have read that a drop of lubricant in the right place can solve this so need advice as to how and where I can get this done.
The projector is still under guarantee, but I dont know if this kind of thing would be covered, I expect it would be regarded as normal wear and tear. I also would be reluctant to be without the projector for a long period.

Any ideas please? :)

MikeD

Standard Member
davidjohnson said:
I have a DLP projector which has started making a whining noise. It isn't too bad, but seems to be getting worse.
I have read that a drop of lubricant in the right place can solve this so need advice as to how and where I can get this done.
The projector is still under guarantee, but I dont know if this kind of thing would be covered, I expect it would be regarded as normal wear and tear. I also would be reluctant to be without the projector for a long period.

Any ideas please? :)

Most likely the colour wheel bearings or perhaps a cooling fan, either way it should fall into a warranty repair.
Whats the make and model, if its an Optoma I doubt you would have any problems returning it under warranty and their turnaround is pretty good in my experience.
Attempting lubrication would require opening the unit and would be very risky as the internals are pretty delicate, It would also probably invalidate your remaining warranty.

Regards, MikeD

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom