1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WhichDVD RW

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by davecabezo, Jan 17, 2005.

1. davecabezo

davecabezo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Can someone tell me which DVD-RW and also which DVD-RW with Hard drive are recommended. I want to basically use it for recording temporary soaps, archiving tv series and also recording films from satellite to store on DVD-R media.
    Cheers.

2. davecabezo

davecabezo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just as an add on to the above thread, I'm a complete newbie to dvd rw recorders etc but is the correct software in Rascazak article of "Authoring" TMPGEnc DVD Autor 1.5?
    Thanks for any help that can be given.

3. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I have the Toshiba RDXS-32 DVD/HDD recorder, and am very happy with it. It can record to -RW or -RAM discs (as well as -R of course).

I use the -RW for items which my wife wants to watch once only, on another DVD player.
    The only issue is it only accepts 1-2x -RW discs; 4x won't work. I use Verbatim or TDK 2x.

For items I want to keep, I use -R. (with these, 4x and 8x discs both work).

In both cases, I record to the HDD, edit out adverts etc, then write to either -RW or -R.

The Pioneer range also support -RW, as does Sony. Panasonic does not, but apparently new models will.

Mark

4. Skunky Cubes

Skunky Cubes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use a Panasonic E55 which does DVD-R and RAM. It has no hard drive which is a pain (my choice a thought I would need one). redsox has the advantage by recording to HDD, editing, then burning to disc. If I started again or upgraded I would go for a DVD/HDD combi. -R is good so I can playback on my Denon DVD but without the HDD to edit I get all the other rubish (adverts) as well. RAM is more flexible but cannot playback on my Denon.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Have a look at this site for basic FAQs on DVD recorders.

The machines to look at are:
    - Panasonic E85
    - Toshiba RDXS32
    - Pioneer 420
    - Sony RX900

Version 1.5 will work fine with the Guide - however the latest version is 1.6 which support DVD+R DL recording - so use that if you can!

6. davecabezo

davecabezo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much Rasczak. You've come up trumps again. At the minute I only have a dial up connection and I live in Tenerife where Telefonica are noted for power cuts so I may have to send for the package by post.

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    You can still author dual layer projects using v1.5 - you'll just need to use a third party DVD burner (such as Nero) to burn Dual Layer discs. With regard the actual programme itself (as opposed to the integrated DVD burning programme) there is no difference between v1.5 and v1.6