Which?

Scam73

Novice Member
Going to buy a Yamaha RVX2600 receiver, Kef 3005 speaker setup and a Samsung HDMI DVD Player.

Now all I need is a HD 50" plasma, there are a number that catch my eye, Panny HD9 series, Pioneer 507XD plus others.

I like the black gloss finish of the Pioneer and i like the smaller price and suposedly none burning screen of the Panasonic but which 50" panel would you go for with a budget of £2800 and why?

Cheers
Stuart.

Mep

personally I would go Panny every time, purely because I've had 3 (still got two) and have never had a single spot of trouble of any kind including never a hint of image retention. The PQ is fantastic, even of the SD panel.

Peely

Standard Member
I am currently in the same dilemma !

I think both are exellent screens.

But think the word on the street is the Pioneer is a slightly better picture. Mainly down to the higher contrast ratio.

I was on my way to buy the Panny when someone told me about the new Pioneer 507XD due out in Sept at £2800 or less !:)

I think I may well wait for the first review though as people have said it is now a NEC panel ?

But Pioneer deny this !;)

sapper

Peely said:
I am currently in the same dilemma !

I think both are exellent screens.

But think the word on the street is the Pioneer is a slightly better picture. Mainly down to the higher contrast ratio.

I was on my way to buy the Panny when someone told me about the new Pioneer 507XD due out in Sept at £2800 or less !:)

I think I may well wait for the first review though as people have said it is now a NEC panel ?

But Pioneer deny this !;)
Again, in a simailr dilemma, wanting to upgrade to a 50 inch.

But I am prefering a display model only, for several reasons.

Adrian

Brother

Novice Member
I wouldn't buy any of the new 50" screens immediately after launch - the PH9's seem to be having some issues with cracked screens being reported on other forums in the US. The Pioneer is an unknown quantity but its suggested that it is an excercise in cost cutting - does that mean worse quality?? Nobody knows yet.

nick67

What Hi Fi have a test this month on 50" TVs, picked up my copy this afternnon, worth getting

SP00KY

Personally, I would not go for a Pioneer due to a wide variety of issues that have been well documented on these forums. The PHD9 would probably be fine. If the budget could be stretched then I would go for the Fujitsu 58 series with it's combination of looks, build quality and processing.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Home AV, TV, Tech News & Reviews, Plus The Best of July 2020
Top Bottom