1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which??

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by jowie, Apr 13, 2005.

Tags:
  1. jowie

jowie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi newbie here! :)

I'm in the market for a nice Freeview PVR. Which one would you recommend to me? I know about the Digifusions, the Humax and (to some extent) about the Panasonic. Are these three the biggies? I'm looking for something around the £200 mark.

It doesn't need any techy inputs or outputs, just SCART. A decent EPG would be nice, and also a reliable box that doesn't crash all the time! The other main thing is a twin tuner so that I can record two things at the same time - but I think they pretty much all have that now don't they?

One last thing, the Digifusion PVRT-150 and 200 - aside from looks, are there any other differences? I've looked at reviews on websites I can't seem to find any!

Thanks in advance for your advice!

:-Joe

2. SNICK

SNICK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    The Thomson DHD4000 is often raved about in this forum -believe it can be picked up online for less than 160 quid.
    I guess the downsides are the quirky looks + smallish HDD.
    The other machine, not yet released, is the Inverto 7000 - it has a 80gb HDD (twice the capacity of the Thomson) - and is available in white :confused: and eventually black.

As it's new, its a bit of an unknown - no pedigree so to speak, might be worth checking out this forum for new user feedback before you take the plunge.. :D

3. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Hi Joe
    Did you find this

Like you say the 150 and 200 look the same on this chart. One difference is that you cannot buy the 200 yet!

4. bampsam

bampsam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Having tried the Panasonic TUCTH100(and sent it back!)I can recommend the Thomson DHD4000.OK it is an ugly brute but it does what it says on the box.Have had it two weeks now and it is brilliant.14 day planner,EASY menus,GREAT picture and sound,and RELIABLE.Lowest price I have seen is £159.Have recorded two progs' at once whilst viewing recorded prog'.Timer is reliable.Go for it.

5. pr1uk

pr1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dont buy the pace twin
    Humax i have the single tuner and its for me very good
    Thomson DHD4000 oh dear i had a bad one frooze up from day one was back in the shop by day 4
    DigFusion FVRT100 just got one and so far its doing what it says on the box

you pay your money you take your choice some people have no problems with the ones they buy other have nothing but trouble, a lot of people have had problem with the pace.

6. jowie

jowie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your imput so far. :)

Panasonic and Pace look like no-gos, and unfortunately the Thomson HDD is a little too small - unless they release a newer version soon!

Chances are if the Digifusion one is out in a few weeks then I'll wait for the 200... I guess it's then between that and the Humax 8000T80 or whatever it's called.

If I were to choose between these two, which one is the best in terms of usability? It's for my mum so I want it to be as easy to use as possible - ideally to Sky+ standard but I guess that's not going to happen!

One last question - is the Humax twin tuner because that comparison page doesn't say anythign about the Humax ones... Are Digifusion more popular than Humax? I don't really know either brand and I don't want to buy a dud brand... :suicide:

thanks!

7. madasahat

madasahat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    go for a topfield they are great alot better than any of the compatition

8. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Yes the current Humax is single tuner; and that is why the author left it off that comparison chart. I also suspect that that is why it seems to be more reliable than the others.
    I have just yesterday ordered a Topfield but I would definitelly not recommend it for your mum unless she is fairly technically minded and as you are choosing for her I presume she isn't.
    As it happens I was also thinking of getting my mum a Humax because they are simple and reliable.
    Richard

9. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    For -£150 (Hughes Direct or QED) the Humax 8000T 80TGb is hard to beat.

Best £150 Ive ever spent on a TV device.

10. jowie

jowie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think her preference would definitely be for a twin tuner... One of the things she loves about Sky+ (although she doesn't have it) is that she could record one side and watch another. I doubt I could persuade her to go for a single tuner unfortunately.

In which case, it would be between the Digifusion and the Topfield. When you say the Topfield is possibly overboard for my mum, do you mean that it is hard to operate, or that there are many things on it that she wouldn't need? I ask this because if it's hard to operate then it loses brownie marks in my book ;)

Depends on how much she wants to speend too... :rotfl:

11. SNICK

SNICK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    The Topfield is a piece of cake to use - even 'er indoors can use it! :rolleyes: - and my kidz picked up recording with no problem. It's a great PVR - the best I've ever used, yes it can do more via TAP's etc- but for the average user, who just wants to make recordings (knowing that this box works) it's the dogs - guess the price is a bit of a put off - but for 160gb, come on! and it looks great :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I cant wait for the inverto in black......................especially if you can slap as big a drive as you like in it.......

13. Brava 210

Brava 210

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +908
    pretty sure the inverto will only accept 128 gb,due to the chip used-same as thomson-

gary

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    cool 120GB will be plenty for me hopefully its a standard disc no special formats/partitions

15. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    The Topfield is an excellent bit of kit :thumbsup:

DVD

16. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    I got a Topfield yesterday form Turbosat. 29 hours and 50 minutes from ordering to delivery; not that I was waiting. Do not use these people if you are into defered gratification :) . Mind you it took me another 2 hours to get the 3 miles of bubble wrap off but eventually found the box.

I did not use the little loop through ariel connection but used an old splitter and made up a couple of short lengths of coax. I had heard the loop through can result in a poor signal to the 2nd tuner.
    Set up was quick and easy; I did RTM first though. It found all TV/Radio stations.
    First problem was setting up favourites; TV fine but could not find the Radio favourites. (We use Freeview to listen to Radio a lot). Eventually sorted this by going to each Radio station and adding them with; List; Options; Add to favourites. So not a major problem.
    What is going to be a problem for us is that after you go back to TV from Radio it reverts to all chanells not your favourites list. This would be irritating anyway but switching to favourites involves pressing Options; selecting favourites list; scrolling down to your choosen list and selecting. Not the end of the world but much more complicated than it needs to be and why does it switch in the first place? Explaining to my beloved (who uses Radio a lot) all this is not going to impress her; especially compared with how easy all this is on our Pace Twin. I may be forced to permanently delete channels we dont use and forget about favourites.
    Other bad stuff: actually changes channel as you go through the EPG. When you watch something still recording it takes you to current place and you have to rewind; this is nonsense; if I wanted to watch live I would not be going into the recording; again why? these Koreans have some odd ideas. Lets hope they get fixed.
    Can clearly hear the HD clicking across the room when recording. esp. loud when recording two channels and not watching anything else.

Good things; lightening fast response; PQ and sound seem fine. Seems rock solid, no lock ups; recording reliable so far. Big enough hard drive and timers to sit down and enter a weeks recordings at one go and forget it. Can categorise recordings to start a proper library of films; whatever. I never could do that sort of thing with the Pace. I do like the Toppy basically.

May use the little problems as an excuse to keep it in my room for the time being. :D

17. jowie

jowie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is all very useful stuff thanks!

I would have recommended she went for the Topfield until I heard some of the comments above... But a lot of other people are fans so maybe...

I don't know if I could get her to stretch another £100, so could anyone tell me more about the Digifusion? There doesn't seem to be many advocates of them on here but any pros/cons would be gratefully received.

Cons would be mainly useful so I could push her towards the Topfield ;)

18. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Dont get me wrong these pros are irritating rather than major; mostly just a matter of a few extra button presses and all the PVR's have there little quirks I believe.
    I still believe the Topfield has more potential with its ability to run user written software (TAPS). I am probably worrying because Angela has just got used to the Twin (after two years) and now I will have to show her some different stuff. Actually I am already begining to like some of the things more since playing around this morning. eg the recording play progress bar with percentages (you can punch 55% and go straight to 55% of the recording) is actually very useful but there is a learning curve getting used to it.
    If this was my first PVR I probably would not even notice some of the 'pro's'.

19. jowie

jowie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well that's good to know thanks... Any thoughts on the Digifusion? I'd love to hear a few things about that because that's the way my mum's heading at the moment, since you can buy the 150 in Argos at the moment...

20. pr1uk

pr1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What can i say i have had one for 3 days and so far all is well, needs to be left powered up for a couple of nights. It downloadeds software updates (had one so far) and the TV guide at night. So takes a couple of days before its up and running fully with the 7 day TV guide. My mate had one up and running for 6 months then it frooze and he had to have it replaced.
    Better then the pace twin thats for sure, go for it

21. Brava 210

Brava 210

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +908

dont forget another big advantage over any other pvr is - you can record 2 and watch a third or even fourth channel (pip) i also have a twin -its a shame they dont copy the way the pace works, chase play etc.....

22. jowie

jowie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this the Topfield? Personally it's what I'd go for, but it's down to my mum and her purse strings ;) looks like a toss-up between the Digifusion and the Topfield anyway.

23. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    You can watch a third channel + PIP; but you can only select from those that are on the same Mux as the ones you are recording. Thats what I understand not had time to test it out yet personally.

24. Brava 210

Brava 210

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +908
    i have the topfield - i have over the last couple of months tried every other pvr (yes,sad i know)including the fusion fvrt150 which was very noisey and had a major fault common to them all-the audio is switched ie left from right-right from left.the topfield does have bugs which they all do but its a lot better than any other-people do seem to compare it with others but it has 160gb,nothing else does.some people say they dont need that much space...are these the same people that then spend hours and hours upgrading their small drives to bigger ones and encountering endless lock-ups and problems

if the topfield does crash it reboots itself very quickly !!

Gary :lesson: