1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Yamaha receiver with Mirage Speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by cpho, Nov 9, 2004.

Tags:
  1. cpho

cpho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: :confused:

I am a newbie here but read the posts here for some time and I really need lots of help.

I have narrowed down to a new Yammy receiver but I am not sure which model can support my speakers. I currently use a 5 speaker setup to Prologic only and I have intentions to add a sub-woofer later on. The speakers I am using are Mirage(Canadian) M-290 (bookshelf) for the Front L&R, M-190 for the surrounds and MCC(Mirage center channel).

I am looking at the RX-V450, 750, or the 1500 models for watching movies in Dolby Digital and DTS. I am scared that the 750 and 1500 are too powerful for my speakers but I am not sure at all as I am a non-techie.

Will the 450 model be powerful enough to drive the speakers for 50% each for movies and audio?

Regards.

2. cpho

cpho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody can help me out here??

Appreciate your help.

3. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    As far as I understand, and i'm no real expert so just passing on what i've been told. Your amp will not be to powerful for your speakers, aslong as you don't push the volume to high. Also it's best to have an amp that gets towards the top end of the speaker rating rather than the other way around (25-100 and amp near a 100watts is better). This is because a weak amp powering a good/demanding (not necessarily the same thing) speakers could cause feedback and break the amp.

So in truth I believe you should essily be able to get what ever amp you want and play with atleast the same volume your using now.

As I said at the begining though i'm no expert so would wait for another post to confirm or dissmiss what i've said. Also i'm not familiar with your speakers but if there something like 5-20 watts at 8ohms (making numbers up here) then you wouldn't need the extra power provided by the amp but you would still get better quality.

:offtopic:

If your speakers are not so good, and your considering buying a 1500, it might be better to get a 750 or 650 and buy a new speaker set. But as i'm not familiar with your speakers I can't say.

Also I don't think speaker technology has come on that much in the last few years in terms of sound quality, maybe the price brakets have moved down though, i.e. speakers of a certain quality are cheaper now.

4. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    buy the 1500 if it's in your price range. It is indeed better to have an amp with a higher rating than the speakers than vice versa. This is because if you send a distorted signal from a low powered amp to high powered speakers, say at higher volumes, the speakers are trying to interpret this distorted sound which can cause them damage. however a clean sound from a powerful amp is less likely to damage a low rated speaker. within reason ofcourse. It's unlikely that you'll be driving it hard enough to damage the speakers anyway. Besides the beauty is, you buy the nice expensive amp, then improve your speakers when you can afford/want too. And you already have the better amp.

5. cpho

cpho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :) thanks for you replies and advise.I guess it would be better to be higher up and more equipped for the future. It would be good when I need to upgrade the speakers.

Regards and have a nice weekend.

6. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cpho you can never have enough power, more is better than less ;)

John