Which Yamaha av as im confused!!

sta99y666

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So ive sold my RX-V1800:facepalm: and looking for a new/2nd hand amp.
It MUST :lesson: passthrough in Standby mode!! this is a MUST!!!:thumbsup:

Airplay would be good however i could pick up an APTV3 at some point.
Sold my APTV2 to raise cash for amp.

I do not want to be disappointed in the sound going for something of lesser quality than my old RX-V1800, i watch 75% movie and 25% music.
Speakers are 4xMA Radius 180's and a MA Radius 225 centre with a SW150 sub, CA650BD player.

Short list is

RX-V1067 2nd hand
RX-V2065 2nd hand
RX-V2067 2nd hand

RX-A810 new
RX-A1010 new (costly :eek: )

RX-V673 2012 model
RX-V773 2012 model

Looking for opinions and comments, illusive cheap prices, preferably Titanium colour (silver) and maybe a AV receiver of a difference to throw in the mix.

£500 budget however i may be able to get more with some hustlin in my area :D

Thanks all :thumbsup:

You do not need AirPlay in order to use an Apple TV in conjunction with an AV amp. Just connect the ATV to the amp via HDMI. The ATV has AirPLay functionality which it uses to access iTunes with. You'd only need AirPLay on an amp if wanting to access iTunes audio directly via the amp without the presence of an ATV.

Last edited:
You do not need AirPlay in order to use an Apple TV in conjunction with an AV amp. Just connect the ATV to the amp via HDMI. The ATV has AirPLay functionality which it uses to access iTunes with. You'd only need AirPLay on an amp if wanting to access iTunes audio directly via the amp without the presence of an ATV.
Sorry i meant the amp can have Airplay which will save me buying an APTV3 as i have just sold my APTV2 to raise more cash. If i choose an older model amp rather than this years i will at some point get APTV3.

Darrell

As far as I know Airplay on an AV receiver only works for audio. So if you want to play video as well you are going to need to get an APTV3 anyway.

PSM1 said:
As far as I know Airplay on an AV receiver only works for audio. So if you want to play video as well you are going to need to get an APTV3 anyway.

Cheers for that.... I think maybe I not explained enough in my thread.... I have had the APTV2 so am well aware of its capabilities!!!
It states in thread a couple of the new model Yamaha's which support AirPlay, this I could be interested in to stream music, I'm also very aware it only supports music!!

Thanks all

You may be interested to know that both the RXA810 and the RXA1010 are shortly due to be replaced by this years replacements. Both are steadily falling in price in order to facilitate sales and clear shelf space for the new models. You can currently get the RXA1010 for about £200 more than you'd be paying for an RXV673. The RXA810 can be purchased for about the same as you'd be paying for the RXV673. You can now actually buy an RXA810 for less than an RXV773.

Last edited:
dante01 said:
You may be interested to know that both the RXA810 and the RXA1010 are shortly due to be replaced by this years replacements. Both are steadily falling in price in order to facilitate sales and clear shelf space for the new models. You can currently get the RXA1010 for about £200 more than you'd be paying for an RXV673. The RXA810 can be purchased for about the same as you'd be paying for the RXV673. You can now actually buy an RXA810 for less than an RXV773.

Cheapest I have seen;
Richer sounds 810 @£549 but will do for a Monkey £500
Audio affair online do 1010 Titanium @£599

Tbh the 673/773 do not look as sleek as 810 or 1010,
But I'm willing to go 2nd hand for a 1067-2065 (not sure on facia, seems cluttered with buttons)
Or a 2067, Dante you may well know that all these passthrough in Standby mode?

Darrell

Cheapest I have seen;
Richer sounds 810 @£549 but will do for a Monkey £500
Audio affair online do 1010 Titanium @£599

Tbh the 673/773 do not look as sleek as 810 or 1010,
But I'm willing to go 2nd hand for a 1067-2065 (not sure on facia, seems cluttered with buttons)
Or a 2067, Dante you may well know that all these passthrough in Standby mode?

Darrell

I own an RXV2065 and it does do HDMI passthrough in standby, but unlike the x73 models it doesn't facilitate the switching of HDMI sources while in standby and you can only passthrough the last selected HDMI input prior to going into standby. The RXA810 and the RXA1010 are the same in this respect and it is only this years new models that allow HDMI switching while in standby.

dante01 said:
I own an RXV2065 and it does do HDMI passthrough in standby, but unlike the x73 models it doesn't facilitate the switching of HDMI sources while in standby and you can only passthrough the last selected HDMI input prior to going into standby. The RXA810 and the RXA1010 are the same in this respect and it is only this years new models that allow HDMI switching while in standby.

Oh I see!!! So let's say family watched a movie on bd player, everything was switched off at end of film. Wifey puts tv (virgin media HD)on in morning to watch the news..... Are you saying she won't be able to do so because tv will be Displaying the last played source?? Bd!!!
And your also saying she cannot press cable/sat on amp remote whilst in standby to watch virgin media because it only plays last used input source??

If so this is pants!!!

Oh I see!!! So let's say family watched a movie on bd player, everything was switched off at end of film. Wifey puts tv (virgin media HD)on in morning to watch the news..... Are you saying she won't be able to do so because tv will be Displaying the last played source?? Bd!!!
And your also saying she cannot press cable/sat on amp remote whilst in standby to watch virgin media because it only plays last used input source??

If so this is pants!!!

Yes, but then again this is how the majority of AV amps handle HDMI passthrough in standby. Yamaha were pretty innovative to allow HDMI switching while in standby via their new amps. Think about it, HDMI needs power so still requires to be powered while in standby. You're actually using more power while the amp is in standby while using HDMI passhrough than you'd be using without it.

I don't use HDMI standby at all and never use the internal speakers of my TV. I've not used my TV's speakers for over 10 years now and can't say I'll ever see myself going back to using them even if viewing the news for 5 minutes.

dante01 said:
Yes, but then again this is how the majority of AV amps handle HDMI passthrough in standby. Yamaha were pretty innovative to allow HDMI switching while in standby via their new amps. Think about it, HDMI needs power so still requires to be powered while in standby. You're actually using more power while the amp is in standby while using HDMI passhrough than you'd be using without it.

I don't use HDMI standby at all and never use the internal speakers of my TV. I've not used my TV's speakers for over 10 years now and can't say I'll ever see myself going back to using them even if viewing the news for 5 minutes.

Hmmmm...... Food for thought!!!

I guess as long as I always leave the amp on cable-Sat source after watching whatever source it will keep the wife happy.

Or I just have a HDMI from Virgin HD to tv and a digital lead for surround sound if needed!!

Xbox Bd Aptv can all go to amp and I could assign the scene buttons for each of those operations.

Thanks Dante for easy and clear explanation, you did it better than Sevenoaks in Reading and Richer sounds Reading.

Darrell

The RX-A1010 does let you switch sources while it is in standby.

Yamaha's implementation of HDMI passthrough is very good. If you enable "standby through" mode, it will only consume an extra 3w of power. Compare that to Onkyo avrs which can consume up to 50w in standby with HDMI passthrough enabled :eek:.

IRobot said:
The RX-A1010 does let you switch sources while it is in standby.

Yamaha's implementation of HDMI passthrough is very good. If you enable "standby through" mode, it will only consume an extra 3w of power. Compare that to Onkyo avrs which can consume up to 50w in standby with HDMI passthrough enabled :eek:.

So I can select bd or cable/sat or DVD etc and it will switch to that input in standby mode???

Darrell

The iPad and iPhone app for Yamaha receivers makes AirPlay unnecessary. My 671 gives the same streaming functionality via the app when the receiver is connected to my router.

Wish I'd known this before I bought apple tv 3!

MarkFB said:
The iPad and iPhone app for Yamaha receivers makes AirPlay unnecessary. My 671 gives the same streaming functionality via the app when the receiver is connected to my router.

Great to know!! You want to sell the ATV3

It's mad that a free app can basically do AirPlay!!
Really think this is a great feature.

Interesting - so the Yamaha App can play music from my iPhone - but can it also play music from the iTunes library on my iMac?

Interesting - so the Yamaha App can play music from my iPhone - but can it also play music from the iTunes library on my iMac?

No, the app can control the receivers, it doesn't facilitate AirPlay.

This AV Controller App will turn your iPhone/iPod touch/iPad into a Wi-Fi enabled remote control for select Yamaha network products. This App provides the flexibility to control input, volume, mute and power commands. You can browse content from all internally available sources such as Internet Radio, USB and AM/FM tuners. You can also control all AV Receiver zones such as powering on and changing input for each zone. This App not only controls Yamaha AV Receivers, it also controls Blu-ray Disc™ Players, supporting various functions including Play, Stop and Forward. The App is available in English, French, German, Spanish and Russian. It's great to have all this control at your fingertips - and best of all it's FREE!

AV CONTROLLER - Yamaha

As far as I'm aware, it will not give you the ability to access iTunes on other devices or give you the ability to playback iTune playlists. You can play supported audio from the device using the app, but this isn''t AirPlay functionality!

Browse and play music stored on an Apple iOS device using the AV Controller App, with full access to cover art and track information.

If you've your music on your iMac then you need to use DLNA or Airplay in order to access it. Any DLNA certified receiver can access the audio stored within your iTunes library. Simply install a third party DLNA server such as Twonky or PS3 Media Server onto your iMac and use this to serve the audio files to your AV receiver. The only disadvantage would be that you cannot access iTunes playlists and you'd need an AirPlay enabled AV amp to be able to do this.

Note that this app, Apple TV nor AirPLay is required to stream audio to the amp. You simply need to use a DLNA server on a Mac in order for your DLNA certified amp to be able to access audio files stored on your Mac.

Last edited:
I'm in the similar position i do like the look of some of the features the 2012 models have : 4k passthrough/upscaling, 1080i to 1080p upscaling over hdmi (handy for sky/virgin) , dialogue lift to name a few. But the bargains that can be had on last years adventage range are very tempting - a810 for £499 and a1010 for £699 and a2010 for £899. The a2010 is a bit more than i wanted to pay, but i've read some good things about the HQV high-class VHD1900 chipset, and it's supposed to be a cracking receiver!! Hmmmm just as confused as you are!!!

Last edited:
So I can select bd or cable/sat or DVD etc and it will switch to that input in standby mode???

Anybody else have their opinion on said amps??
AFAIK, IRobot's response is not quite accurate. Although Yamaha's implementation in the RX-A1010 fully conforms to the HDMI standard, its does not support a legacy "manual" standby HDMI passthrough mode needed to switch autistic sources such as the SKY box.

MarkFB said:

Hi can you explain how your amp with the app makes Airplay unnecessary via an APTV?? There seems to be a lot of confusion!!
Are you saying you can stream music from a source to your amp via the free app??
Or do you mean DLNA ??
Is your amp connected to router? If so do you connect iPad/iPhone wirelessly to the network? Can you then select a tune on your phone and press play? Does the sound come through the amp?

Regards
Darrell

Last edited:
Hi can you explain how your amp with the app makes Airplay unnecessary via an APTV?? There seems to be a lot of confusion!!
Are you saying you can stream music from a source to your amp via the free app??
Or do you mean DLNA ??
Is your amp connected to router? If so do you connect iPad/iPhone wirelessly to the network? Can you then select a tune on your phone and press play? Does the sound come through the amp?

Regards
Darrell

Why the hell would you need the phone??? If the amp is connected to your LAN and the LAN already has access to where your audio files are then you can access them directly via DLNA. AirPlay simply provides access to iTunes. Not having AirPlay doesn't mean you cannot access the audio files, it simply means you cannot use iTune playlists.

By the way, I've owned Mac computers for over 20 years, I have an iMac and use a NAS. I have a Yamaha AV amp with networking capabilities, but no AirPlay and have no problem accessing both audio files stored on my Mac (via PS3MS) and on my NAS (via Twonky). AirPlay actually requires the presence of iTunes, DLNA doesn't. I also have an ATV3 which need iTunes to be running on my Mac on order for me to access the audio. AirPLay and the ATV3 cannot access the audio on my NAS unless iTunes is up and running on my Mac and the NAS media storage is mounted by the Mac. If you want to use AirPlay then you must also have iTunes up and running somewhere on your network and iTunes must also have access to every audio file you want to play via AirPlay. AirPlay isn't so much about accessing audio as it is about accessing iTunes.

Last edited:
You might not want to switch on your TV to select what music to play or you could be in a different room (zone). The phone app lets you see all the music on your DNLA server and make the amp play it in any zone.

AFAIK, IRobot's response is not quite accurate. Although Yamaha's implementation in the RX-A1010 fully conforms to the HDMI standard, its does not support a legacy "manual" standby HDMI passthrough mode needed to switch autistic sources such as the SKY box.

Not quite sure what you mean. If you switch on your Sky box, the amp won't switch to that source automatically if that's what you mean ?

You still have to press the relevant source button on the amp remote if the last source was different. You don't have to bring the amp out of standby to do this.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom