Which XTZ Sub ?

Superslim007

Novice Member
I am in the planning stages of my dedicated theatre and I am looking at a pair of 12” subs.

The room 6m x 3.2m x 1.8m or (18’x10’x8’) in old money and I will be using MK Sound S150’s for the LCR running off an Emotiva RMC-1 pushing a Pair of XPA Gen 3’s

After a lot of looking (I am in the UK so cannot access a lot of the very reasonably priced bank for buck subs you can get in the US) so I am trying to decide between the XTZ 12.17 £599 - the 12.17 Edge for £650 or the XTZ 1x12 Cinema (£725)

They are all close in price and spec but with each being a little better on paper and the 1x12 being THX certified.

Does anyone have any experience with these three models, for £600 the XTZ 12.17 would be a no brainer if they didn’t offer the other 2 models but they do. Is the extra £50 or £125 worth the extra – for want of a better word – performance ?

WozzaB

The Edge is around £500 inc delivery when you put it in your basket for UK delivery, there will be all the fees added when it lands, but will that take it up to £650?
I'm thinking it will be closer to £600 maybe, but I could be wrong of course!

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
SVS PB1000 Pro would offer better performance for similar price (639£), app control with PEQ and local support. This model was introduced last week.

If you crave even more output (headroom) then the "old" SVS PB2000 is available for 705£ as grade2 with full warranty. Up to this date they have been in mint condition. This model offers better performance as whole vs. XTZ 1x12 Cinema. I have magazine group test with full data and listening tests with 3 listeners and SVS also sounded better (music).

Now noticed you were after two, bummer! Well AVO (forum advertiser) has also PC2000 available as new refurb units. This has same performance as the boxed version. Small footprint but naturally taller, easy to move due to weight/shape.

XTZ 1x12 Cinema should be upgraded soon with Edge amp. It`s fairly expensive and bit outdated as of now with only 2year amp warranty. And as mentioned some extra costs will come.

If you go with XTZ don´t buy the cheaper non Edge 12.17 as the amp has known issues. So the extra price for Edge amp is certainly worth it. Comes with longer 5year amp warranty also.

David Alexander

12.17 Edge over the 12.17 for the reliability and extra warranty (5 years for the amp. )
XTZ 1.12 cinema bigger cabinet - more presence.
XTZ 12.17 smaller cabinet - neater.

@WozzaB - Do you know what the form is for payning the extra duities and stuff for deliveries? I was just looking at the headline price in euros which are 690 on the site but they then remove the VAT when you deposit it in the cart.

They must have promotion cycles as well. My 12.17 Edge worked out as 15% less than that 690 euro figure when I purchased in August last year.

WozzaB

12.17 Edge over the 12.17 for the reliability and extra warranty (5 years for the amp. )
XTZ 1.12 cinema bigger cabinet - more presence.
XTZ 12.17 smaller cabinet - neater.

@WozzaB - Do you know what the form is for payning the extra duities and stuff for deliveries? I was just looking at the headline price in euros which are 690 on the site but they then remove the VAT when you deposit it in the cart.

They must have promotion cycles as well. My 12.17 Edge worked out as 15% less than that 690 euro figure when I purchased in August last year.
I think you may be correct with you initial estimate of £650, I was foregetting there will probably be a handling/admin fee applied by the shipping company as far as I am aware.
I believe the shipping company will invoice you once it has cleared customs and is due for delivery, so nothing to fill in on your part I don't think

Superslim007

Novice Member
Thank you for your comets, when you add to your cart it removes the vat (at 25%) then when its imported to the uk you pay just 20% so works out a little less, then convert the Euro to £ they are quite reasonable, the odd thing is if your buy 1 it €32.00 delivery but if you buy 2 its €84.00 so if you want 2 place to separate orders, I have messaged XTZ and asked them why.
They have told me that they have dropped the 12.17 and 1 x 12 and they are only available in the "Edge" so have ditched the problematic amps in favor of the ICE modules which is much better as they were designed for B&O, I have built a power amp using 2 x 125asx2 modules bridged and they are very good

Conrad

Thank you for your comets, when you add to your cart it removes the vat (at 25%) then when its imported to the uk you pay just 20% so works out a little less, then convert the Euro to £ they are quite reasonable, the odd thing is if your buy 1 it €32.00 delivery but if you buy 2 its €84.00 so if you want 2 place to separate orders, I have messaged XTZ and asked them why.
They have told me that they have dropped the 12.17 and 1 x 12 and they are only available in the "Edge" so have ditched the problematic amps in favor of the ICE modules which is much better as they were designed for B&O, I have built a power amp using 2 x 125asx2 modules bridged and they are very good

You can expect to add a 3% handling/import fee as well as the VAT. And I think the VAT is on the lot, including the fee. Still good value, just don't want you to be surprised :)

Superslim007

Novice Member
You can expect to add a 3% handling/import fee as well as the VAT. And I think the VAT is on the lot, including the fee. Still good value, just don't want you to be surprised :)
Actually if imported as a speaker from Sweden there is no import duty just 20% vat, not sure how it works with amp attached but its main purpose is a speaker so ?

Conrad

There's a customs handling charge though, right?

Superslim007

Novice Member
There's a customs handling charge though, right?
As far as I am aware there is no "Customs Handling" charge - the only customs charge is import duty if applicable (normally 3.7% on electronics) But I checked and there is no import duty on "speakers" not from Sweden anyway. plus Vat @20%
Your courier may charge a handling fee, Royal mail is a flat £8 for clearing customs
I suppose the only way to find out for sure is to order and see what happens though for XTZ direct prices its still a no brainer
So a 12.17 edge is €584 inc shipping to UK - x .86 €-£ exchange = £502 +20% vat =£602.00 landed and worst case another £32 if you do get the import duty and £8 Royal mail handling
Don't quote me and I'm more than happy for anyone to correct me if I have missed something
Oh and exchange rates are subject to who's credit card you use, but try and use one that has no foreign exchange fees like Halifax Clarity

Toobad

@Toobad how have you found the pair of 1 x 12's ?
I bought my dual 1x12s as part of a whole XTZ M6, S5 and S2 bundle 3 years ago. Coming from a Yamaha soundbar, I really didn't have any terms of reference and so, understandably, I was completely and utterly blown away by their performance. But 2 years down the track and now completely addicted to bass, I inevitably started craving more. First I installed a miniDSP 2X4HD to run BEQ files and a fairly aggressive house curve. And that's when I felt the 500W amps in the 1X12s were starting to run out of headroom.

A pair off SVS PB-3000s joined the party just over a year ago but with the miniDSP being able to handle 4 outputs, it seemed rude not to press the 1X12s into nearfield duties. All the subs run 9db hot. The tactile response is epic. For a long time I thought intentional camera shake was being used to reinforce the LFE track but then realised the ceiling-mounted projector and screen were moving in sympathy with the pressurised room. I am truly in subwoofer nirvana - for now :D :rotfl:

I think you would be very well served by the suggestions of @Gasp3621, he consistently offers the most informed and objective advice. IMHO dual SVS PB-1000 Pros would be bang up-to-date technologically, right on the money and punching way above their weight.

Superslim007

Novice Member
I bought my dual 1x12s as part of a whole XTZ M6, S5 and S2 bundle 3 years ago. Coming from a Yamaha soundbar, I really didn't have any terms of reference and so, understandably, I was completely and utterly blown away by their performance. But 2 years down the track and now completely addicted to bass, I inevitably started craving more. First I installed a miniDSP 2X4HD to run BEQ files and a fairly aggressive house curve. And that's when I felt the 500W amps in the 1X12s were starting to run out of headroom.

A pair off SVS PB-3000s joined the party just over a year ago but with the miniDSP being able to handle 4 outputs, it seemed rude not to press the 1X12s into nearfield duties. All the subs run 9db hot. The tactile response is epic. For a long time I thought intentional camera shake was being used to reinforce the LFE track but then realised the ceiling-mounted projector and screen were moving in sympathy with the pressurised room. I am truly in subwoofer nirvana - for now :D :rotfl:

I think you would be very well served by the suggestions of @Gasp3621, he consistently offers the most informed and objective advice. IMHO dual SVS PB-1000 Pros would be bang up-to-date technologically, right on the money and punching way above their weight.
I thank you kind sir for your input - I must now go back to the drawing board and re-consider my options - which is a good thing

anjan

I had the 3x12 which was great. There'd be certain movie scenes where the 3x12 went from 0 - 100 in no time and gave the impression that a real life crash had just happened in the house.

On getting a couple of MK X10 subs, I couldn't quite integrate the 3 together (I didn't know about the miniDSP at the time). The MKs were better for music but they never had the same dynamic impact as the 3x12.

Having got a mini-DSP and using measurements, I'm quite disappointed by the bass extension of the MK10s and am about to receive a pair of SVS PB16s. Will be interesting to see if this combination gives the same impact as the 3x12

I have a 1x12 in the 'TV room' - this won't give anything like the same impact as the 3x12 for a room your size - still a good sub but just not on the same level. Dual 1x12s may be another matter though...

There's a rather good subwoofer comparison spreadsheet here that may help you decide

Superslim007

Novice Member
I had the 3x12 which was great. There'd be certain movie scenes where the 3x12 went from 0 - 100 in no time and gave the impression that a real life crash had just happened in the house.

On getting a couple of MK X10 subs, I couldn't quite integrate the 3 together (I didn't know about the miniDSP at the time). The MKs were better for music but they never had the same dynamic impact as the 3x12.

Having got a mini-DSP and using measurements, I'm quite disappointed by the bass extension of the MK10s and am about to receive a pair of SVS PB16s. Will be interesting to see if this combination gives the same impact as the 3x12

I have a 1x12 in the 'TV room' - this won't give anything like the same impact as the 3x12 for a room your size - still a good sub but just not on the same level. Dual 1x12s may be another matter though...

There's a rather good subwoofer comparison spreadsheet here that may help you decide
Many thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom