Which XLR cable - Chord Cobra Plus or Chord Chameleon Plus?

James1

Standard Member
Hi everyone!

I have ordered a new hifi system:
- Audiolab 8200CDQ
- Audiolab 8200MB x2
- Spendor A5

I have also ordered Chord Rumour 2 speaker cable

I need an xlr interconnect to connect the CDQ to the MB mono blocs. It is between the Chord Cobra Plus and Chord Chameleon Plus. Which would best suit the system and is the better cable overall?

Thanks

fathervic

James1 said:
Which would best suit the system and is the better cable overall?

The better overall cable should be the more expensive one, hence the extra price ;)

Seriously though, some folk here would say not to bother with expensive cables and that they're a waste of money. Don't worry I'm not one of them.

The Cobra is a great cable. The Chameleon is better. I'm currently running longer lengths of the new Cadenza.
If you like Chord, the more you spend the better it gets. It just seems to have more of what the lower cable has and adds that extra level of insight.

As for what would best suit your system - I don't know as I'm not familiar with the electronics but I've found Chord works well with a lot of different systems and spending that little extra brings everything together a little bit more.

Any decent Chord retailer should carry a good range and would most likely allow you to take them home and try yourself to make sure you make the right decision.

D.D.D.

I need an xlr interconnect to connect the CDQ to the MB mono blocs.
If you have soldering skills I recommend you to build cable yourself - it is huge saving. I use in my setup DH-Labs / Silversonic cables, which compete with 2-3 times more expensive cables and if you go DIY way - then it will cost even less. I have some remains of AirMatrix cable and RCA and XLR connectors. I ordered from US a bit more than I need - If you interested - just post your "wanted" thread and I will reply. Sure, Airmatrix DIY stuff will cost as Chamelion Plus ready cable, but will be 2-3 steps up.

Some info you can find here
http://www.silversonic.com/docs/products/AirMatrix.html

phil grimes

Standard Member
chord cables are excellent , the chameleon plus has good reviews.
van den hul are also brilliant particularly the first ultimate which gets rated almost as high as some transparent cables. they do make a huge difference , just stick a set of townshend isolda speaker cables in and you will hear sounds you never heard before

phil grimes

Standard Member
chord cables are excellent , the chameleon plus has good reviews.
van den hul are also brilliant particularly the first ultimate which gets rated almost as high as some transparent cables. they do make a huge difference , just stick a set of townshend isolda speaker cables in and you will hear sounds you never heard before

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom