1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Xbox?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by j0nners, Jan 25, 2005.

1. j0nners

j0nners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I have a panasonic 42" HD7 plasma and a denon avr-3805 amp and i'm thinking of buying an xbox to use with the kit. According to the FAQ, i'm better off getting an imported NTSC Xbox for hi-def, so i have a few questions:

1. Is this still the case?
    2. Does that mean that i will have to buy imported games.
    3. Are there any other caveats with an imported Xbox - power supplies, warranty, etc?
    4. Will Live work ok?

thanks,

jon

2. Paul.B2

Paul.B2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Why not just buy a UK Xbox, mod it and voila all your problems solved. :)

3. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I would agree, things have changed since that was written. It is now a much cheaper option to buy a UK xbox and chip it. You will still be able to use xbox live if this is done correctly. Chipping the xbox opens up a whole new world of XBOX, it becomes a fully functional PC effectivele with some EXCELLENT software (notably Xbox Media Centre). Once chipped you can make the xbox NTSC compatable and hence will run in hidef mode. See www.xbox-scene.com for more details.

4. j0nners

j0nners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had a look at xbox-scene - loads of info, none of which explains much to me - it all seems to be written from the perspective of someone who already has an xbox and knows what they're doing, even the newbie guides.

When you say "chip" or "mod" it - is there single mod/chip that can be fitted or many different ones? If the latter then how do i choose one? Which ones give me NTSC and hence hi-def? How might i incorrectly chip my xbox and screw Live up?

Since i'm lazy and risk averse, can i buy a premodded Xbox? Someone recommended www.premodded.co.uk in this forum, however the site doesn't explain why i might want X-ecuter or Xenium ICE, or any of the other stuff on offer ? Presumably i'm expected to already know this - where do i find this out?

I'm sure these are all frequently asked questions however the faq'ing FAQ doesn't answer them...

jon

5. Paul.B2

Paul.B2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Its best to go for the Xecuter3 mod, as its well supported, and is a very good chip. Any mod will give you NTSC, all you need is a piece of software on your modded xbox. For Live use you will need to be able to disable the chip. The X3's come with a switch which works very well.

Yes, you can buy a premodded xbox. Personally i'd recommend www.baldbouncer.co.uk for excellent service.

Again, chip choice is all down to personal preference, but the xecuter range have very well used forums at www.teamxecuter.com, so if you run into any problems installing or using the mod there are always plenty of people there to help. thats what i based my decision on.

6. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Ive installed about 8 Xeniums now and they are absolutely splendid. The X3 may have more hardware mods for it, but the Xenium has the better features in terms of its bios. A modchip allows you to boot a custom bios (one that doesnt have file protection normally), then you can run the region switch program. Therefore any mod will allow you to do this. To go on Live you must have the modchip turned off, or have the xbox booting from its original bios. To screw it up, you would have to sign onto live with the chip running.

If I was you I would have a read of the forums (http://forums.xbox-scene.com I think), there is more beginner information here and is another good place to start. Otherwise a search on google will probably yield some beginner info.

7. j0nners

j0nners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok, assuming i buy a xenium or xecuter modded xbox, what else do i need. Presumably the xbox HD kit (like this http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=83&products_id=1742 ?) - do i need NTSC or PAL ?

BTW i may have a New York trip coming up. Would you still recommend a modded xbox over just buying it in the states?

thanks,

jon

8. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thats the right component pack. That pack is only compatable with an NTSC (or modded PAL) xbox so there is only one official pack.

I would still recommend getting it modded, purely because it opens up such an amazing list of new things that the xbox could then do.