Which would you choose?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Tribe, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Tribe

Tribe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I'm building a budget hi-fi system to be used when I move into a new house this month.
    I have done a bit of research on budget kit and stuff that's on offer and I was wondering what you would choose between a set of Mission M73i's or a set of Tannoy mx2's with stands. Both can be had for around £100.
    I mostly listen to rock (such as Led Zeppelin) and hip-hop (such as Jurassic 5). The amp will also be budget, possibly the Marantz PM4400 for about £130.

If you could give advantages/disadvantages that would be a great help.

Many Thanks

2. Tribe

Tribe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - maybe I narrowed it down a little too much.

If anyone could give me an opinion on those two sets of speakers, or anything else in the same league I would be most grateful. I saw Tannoy Sensys 1's going for £138. I wouldn't be able to spend too much more than that but anything in that price range would be worth a look.

Tribe

3. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
  4. stuman

stuman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    im going to hi-jack this thread for a moment, well do you rekon that selling my liberty 5+ and upgrading to some b&w DM602 S3's is worth it, im just moving into a flat share want a bit more detail and a little less volume, but im not too sure.....

5. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Look elsewhere. 602's are big, thumping speakers which will likely boom in a flat. I wouldn't say they were detail champions either. Try Monitor Audio S1, Kef Q1 or Quad 11L instead.

6. Tribe

Tribe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks DFour - I am now considering the Eltax speakers also.

Stuman - this will be my first proper hi-fi so I don't know much, but I've done plenty of research and the B&W 602 S3's are rated very highly. I considered a 2nd hand set myself. But I seem to remember reading that they operate at their best with a powerful amplifier at quite high volumes. Like Nobber22 said, this might be overpowering in a small flat. Maybe if the listening room was large, and the neighbours friendly, it might be fine.