1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which would bring immediate benefit?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by doctorjuggles, May 20, 2005.

1. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Right, I've very recently bought a whole plethora of home cinema equipment which I'm very pleased with. When it came to buying the receiver and speakers, I had to compromise slightly for space reasons, but I bought the best I heard in my price range for music, as my setup is used about 50/50 music/movie.

Anyway, as you can see in my sig, I have the Monitor Audio Radius range, R270 floorstanders as fronts, R225 centre and R90s for the rears. The Yamaha RX-V1500 was purchased because of the balance in performance on movies and music.

All music is now listened to through a Pioneer DV575 universal player.

So my question now is, if I want my next purchase to give me the the biggest improvement for music reproduction, which would be the best option?

A - a dedicated CD player feeding into the RX-V1500

or

B - the current Pioneer feeding into a dedicated music only amp?

Now obviously the ultimate aim is to buy a dedicated CD player and dedicated amp, but which of these two options will yield the highest initial gain, assuming I couldn't afford to buy both at the same time?

Also, how would I go about hooking up the fronts to both the receiver and the music amp?

Thanks for any help.

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    The Pioneer is actually a reasonably good CD player(irrespective of its performance on DVD/SACD),and you may get a more obvious improvement by adding a good amp for music.

Your eventual aim is obviously the best option,but as you rightly say,takes time and money...the next question would be how much you'd be willing to spend,and if you'd be willing to look at ex-dem/used gear, to maximise your buying power.

As to hooking up both amps to the speakers,you'd need a switching box,which can either be made up,or perhaps something from QED may fit the bill.

3. Craig

Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'd say the opposite to the above........

I have a 575a and I reckon it's dog rough on music !!

Your money, and not neccesarily much of it, would be better spent on a DAC (do a search for DAC - I'm sure there'll be some info on M-Audio DAC, Derek Shek NOS DAC, Musical Fidleity DAC, Tag DAC20 et al)

For between 120 and 350 quid you can get yourself a very good DAC that will give you a massive boost in performance compared to either of the two options you mentioned.

FWIW, I use a Derek Shek NOS DAC with my 575a working as transport only for audio, and DVD for AV / SACD.

However, if this were not an option for you, I would def. say the 575a is the weakest link.

2 questions; What's your budget?? Do you mind buying ex/dem or second hand??

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    The much better option is to use the preouts of th Yam to drive the power stage of a dedicated stereo AMP which will control (pre-amp) stereo sources and power amp front speakers for movise and music. Marantz PM7200 has all the inputs etc you need as do arcam cyrus stereo amps. this gives you AV reciever processing for surround, Stereo amp quality for music and improved movie performance if you l,ike it loud! throw a decent ex-demo or S/H CDP at it all and you could have a very nice little system.

5. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hmmm, I'm only looking hypothetically at the moment, as my spending this month alone has topped £2k. I'm just putting the feelers out, because I like to research my stuff (which I never did with my plasma screen, hence the long term investigation now.)

Anyway, I don't see the point in spending way, way above the speaker performance capacity, but I really like the reviews of the Cyrus stuff, and I've seen an ex-dem CD6 for £399. That'd be about my limit, I should think. If I couldn't get an ex-dem/2nd hand Cyrus for that money, I couldn't really push much past that and would have to look at something else.

But no, I don't mind buying 2nd hand/ex-dem. Not at all.

6. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Erm, would you mind explaining what you mean in slightly more 'newbie' terms please?

From what I can make out, you mean take the current terminals driving the fronts right now and feed them into a music amp? Is that right?
    So I'd have to have both amps on when watching movies?

By the way, thanks for all the help so far people.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  8. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Ah, I see. Makes sense. The 'Processor Inputs' on the stereo amp are just electrical conductors then. Gotcha.

9. Craig

Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If you go for another 'hi fi' amp, also do consider that you could just use a power amp: you would not need an integrated - just one with a fixed gain input (do a search if unsure)

As for the CDP, I have not heard the 6vs so wouldn't want to knock it )esp. at the knock down price), but I think you can spend less and get a significant upgrade over the 575a.

Search around the forum, esp on DAC, and see which approach takes your fancy :smashin:

10. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    You won't regret buying the CD6 is all I'll say - do the amp after mate.

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    agreed you could go for a poweramp but i am not sure how great the yams stereo pre amp stage is, this may negate some of the benefit of the poweramp for improving stereo sound.