1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which would be a good projector to buy??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by LedZeppelin, Dec 29, 2004.

1. LedZeppelin

LedZeppelin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First of all let me say hi. I am looking to buy a projector for my home theater system and I am completely lost. I would like to know what a good resolution would be for me? I don't need it to be the best on the market or even close to the best, but I would like it to look good for movies and PS2. Would a 800 x 600 resolution be enough or would that look bad? Thanks for any help.

EDIT: Would one like this be good?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48654&item=5740747859&rd=1

2. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Hi and welcome to the AVForums :)

Your quest for a PJ is probably limited by your budget, so what kind of budget do you have? ;)

For around £550.00 you could get an Epsom TW10H, which has some good write ups and comes with a particularly good warranty.

For around £875.00 you should still be able to get a Sanyo Z2, which is probably a step up from the Epson, and also comes with an excellent warranty.

If you want to be even more impressed then a Hitachi TX100 for around £1000.00 is likely to be a solid buy, and a Sanyo Z3 or Panasonic AE700 for around £1225.00 will also most likely be very impressive. If you want to go the whole hog, £1500 will take you into Sony HS50 territory, for a thoroughly good time :D

Of course they're only a few LCD models, but if you're going to consider DLP I would suggest a demo first, which is a good idea no matter what you're thinking of buying.

You could also look at second hand models here in the classifieds - PJs are often advertised, and I've bought a few myself that way... and good fun it is too!

Try using the search facility here and you should learn loads ;)

All the best,

Mark

3. peter123

peter123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    infocus screenplay 777

what else do you need!

hehehe

4. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    You should also consider a BenQ 6100 DLP projector. Less then 600 quid for an amazing pj.

Blacks are really good and 2000:1 contrast ratio. Hard to beat.

5. LedZeppelin

LedZeppelin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First thanks for the model recemendations , but first I need to understand the basics. What resolution should I get that would look good for movies, but wouldn't bust my budget. Which is no more than 500 American dollars. Again would 800 x 600 good enough? Also what is the diference between DLP, CRT and LCD and everything else?

6. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170

800 x 600 resolution is fine for DVD movies. That's the resolution of my PJ and i'm projecting on a 2 metre wide screen and it looks fantastic.

DLP uses a colour wheel and a panel containing thousands of tiny mirrors which reflect the light back thru the lense and onto the screen.

LCD uses 3 LCD panels (red, blue and green) which the lamp shines thru and then the images are combined using a prism and then thru a lense and onto the screen.

CRT uses three powerful TV type tubes (red, blue and green) which go thru a lense and onto the screen.

Pros and cons:-

CRT are generally large and heavy units that require a lot of setting up but give you the best picture by a country mile. If your set up can accomodate it then go for it.

LCD gives a really nice picture and can give you wonderfull saturated colours but the blacks aren't all that good (although recent mid range models are getting better)

DLP gives you really good blacks and contrast ratios but if your affected by the dreaded rainbow effects then you need to give it a miss.

That's a start.

7. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    For that kind of money I would recommend a TV. Your not going to get anything even remotely decent second hand for that.

8. LedZeppelin

LedZeppelin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. peter123

peter123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im sorry but Three chip DLP projectors beats anything else the problem is they cost so much money!

they are compact in size and have a stunning picture

again

screenplay 777

10. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    LedZeppelin - It sounds like you're after some basic info. Try doing a search, or look at the FAQ o the first page here, which should point you in the right direction :)

Mark

11. Skyav

Skyav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi LedZeppelin,

I've only seen a few projectors in action, so I don't have a huge experience of what's on the market - but...If your budget can stretch to it, I can seriously recommend the Optoma (Themescene) H30. Some DLP projectors like the H30 have a faster colourwheel that helps eliminate the rainbowing that effects some viewers. I've had mine now for a few months and I can honestly say that I don't even notice them (and I saw them big time on an older DLP model with a slower wheel).

Also, the colours and definition on the H30 really are great. It has a very smooth, almost filmic quality. It also has a quiet fan! (Important for quiet movies). I occasionally use it for videogames and it works a treat in that area too.

Obviously there are lots of great projectors our there, and it's good if you can get to demo as many as possible, but the H30 rocks my kasbah. I gather it might be out of your price range, but prices are coming down the whole time - it's already nearly £200 cheaper than when I bought mine back in July.

Skyav :thumbsup:

12. LedZeppelin

LedZeppelin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the diference between native and maxium resolution? Also Skyav what resolution do you watch your movies and stuff at 800 x 600 or I think it is like 1200 x 750 or so? And how can you tell how fast a color wheel is on a projector?

Edit: Dumb question but this, £, is a euro right? If so is the exchange rate like 1 US dollar to 1.7 Euros?

13. Darwock

Darwock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £ is a pound, GBP... € is a Euro

14. LedZeppelin

LedZeppelin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :oops: Thanks much!!

15. LedZeppelin

LedZeppelin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the diference between native and maxium resolution? Could I watch movies on the maxium resolution? How can you tell how fast a color wheel is on a DLP projector?

16. Skyav

Skyav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I know, 'native' refers to the projectors image ratio. For example a projector with a native widescreen image is just that - so if you play a 4:3 (tv shaped) source on that projector, you have unused pixels either side of the image.

The H30 has a native 4:3 aspect ratio with a maximum resolution of 800 x 600 (aka SVGA). When watching widescreen movies (eg 16:9) the image sits in the middle of the screen, with the unused pixels at the top and the bottom. I still find the level of detail to be very good, and you have to look quite hard to see the individual pixels (mirrors).

If you look up the specs on any DLP projector, it usually tells you the speed of the colourwheel. The H30 uses a '4x speed' wheel, which also has 6 coloured segments - both these features help eliminate rainbowing. You can find similar features on other DLP projectors, but I think the H30 is one of the cheaper ones to include them, which is why it's quite popular.

Skyav

17. LedZeppelin

LedZeppelin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0