Which wirelss headphones for iPhone? (Best BT audio codec?)

TB303

Hello people,
I have a long histroty of good proper wired headphones, and recently jusmped to wireless Sony MX4 (over ear) headphones, mainly for the convenicne and noise canceling. I'm using an iPhone 8 as a source. I understand that the Sony can use only AAC with an iphone rather than better codecs like LDAC or AptxHD?

I wonder if there are other headphones of a similar quality that would work better with a wireless iops connection? Maybe B&W P7?

Most of my music is loseless, (Deezer), but I understand there's no lossless wireless music standard?

Ideas are welcome,
Thanks.

pk4425

Standard Member
It's not Sony that requires the AAC codec with iPhones -- it's Apple.

Your only choice with an iPhone is the base SBC codec (crap) or AAC, which isn't as bad as people say. Yes, LDAC and AptXHD are better, but I dare anyone to always pinpoint the base AptX codec over AAC in a blind test repeated 10 times.

You can't unless you're the luckiest bastard on Earth.

Mr X

Distinguished Member
Is also wager most people won’t notice a difference. I went from the same Sony MX4 to Apple Pro Max (over ears) and have been slighted with the switch.
Maybe consider a purchase direct form Apple to evaluate them for 14 days against the Sony as you can always send them back.

TB303

Is also wager most people won’t notice a difference. I went from the same Sony MX4 to Apple Pro Max (over ears) and have been slighted with the switch.
Maybe consider a purchase direct form Apple to evaluate them for 14 days against the Sony as you can always send them back.
Right so just to be clear you weren't impressed with the Apple over the Sony's?

Mr X

Distinguished Member
No I really liked the Sony, other than they are a bit too plastic looking for my liking given the price, but performance wise I found the Apple to be better both in terms of sound quality and ANC performance.
With the launch of Apple Spatial sound/Atmos if you have an Apple Music subscription that’s also a bonus.
To get true lossless with that though I have to use a Hugo Dac and Oppo PM1 wired but for wireless compared to the Sony and B&W PX7 (and Im a big B&W fan) the Apples definitely win the Wireless award for me hands down.

Jules Tohpipi

It’s worth knowing that, above and beyond the headline specs, Apple’s implementation of AAC is very good. Whereas, for example, Android’s implementation of AAC is extremely bad. With Apple it doesn’t trail aptX-HD by much and LDAC can be fussy about hitting its bit-rates when it wants to be.

I have no experience of Apple’s headphones but I would imagine their great implementation of AAC at both ends would yield excellent results. Good enough for the quality of the speaker drivers to be the main influence.

Last edited:

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I bought the Apple Earpods Max a few months ago having had the original Sony MDR-1000’s then the later XM3’s, I've tried the wireless Sennheiser’s, B&O's, Bose and other top-rated wireless over-ear headphones and my search has come to an end.
The Earpods Max are IMHO the best sounding headphones I've ever heard paired with my Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max using AAC via Apple music.
They are worth every penny.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom