1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Wireless-G Kit to buy?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Mark Ward, Apr 4, 2004.

1. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Looking to add some wireless connectivity to my HTPC, Tivo and the rest of my network.

Strongly recommended to me is the Netgear DG834G £96.99 at Amazon

But another Pal swears by the
    Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router £59.99 at Amazon

Both have 4 ports for wired connection, and appear to have good security. Range is also very important to me as I have THICK walls, as is Firewall security.

Is the Netgear worth the extra money?

Then we have the Wireless bridges needed for X-Box & TiVo.

I'm torn between the Netgear 54G Access Point £66.99 at Amazon

or the Linksys Wireless-G Access Point £63.49 at Amazon. It is strange that the Access Point costs more that the router!

Any opinions out there?

Many thanks,

Mark.

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Mark,

you know my feelings on the netgear but bear in mind that the linksys is only a broadband router and not an adsl modem for when you eventually get it, with the linksys you will still need an ethernet modem which of course adds an extra layer of configuration.

Regards

3. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for that John, I hadn't realised that the Linksys would also require a DSL "Modem". I did obviously know your opinion of the Neatger DSL Router, I just thought that saving £30 odd quid for apparantly very similar functionality was rather appealing and another pal uses one very succesfully.

So.. Netgear it is for the "DSL/Router".

Can anyone recommend a preference between the 2 Access points?

I guess the Netgear one will look more appropriate in the living room, but if anyone has specific experience, either good or bad with either of these access points (Netgear 54G or LinkSys Wirelss-G) then that information would be most helpful.

BTW. I note from other reviews that you can apparantly replace the Aerial on these wireless devices with a higher (8dB) version. I take it that it's just a case of unscrewing the old one and putting a better Aerial on? WHere would you get a decent Wireless network Aerial?

Cheers,

Mark.

4. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    wireless antennas, as linked to from the Linksysuk.com site.

I've used both Linksys & Netgear kit (not 54G .. upgrading this week ;), and prefer the Linksys just because I've had a couple of Netgear AP's die on me. To their credit, they were both replaced under the lifetime warranty, without any quibbles, by netgear. But I'd rather the stuff didn't break in the first place, and the Linksys has lasted so far.

BTW - why use the WAP54G for the xbox & tivo ? Wouldn't the WET54G be the obvious choice ?

... and I'll think you'll have trouble (a) mixing kit from different brands (just going on past experience - they're supposed to play nicely together, but that's not always the case, and (b) you'll likely hit trouble getting an AP to bridge to another AP (again, past experience, with D-Link kit) - which is why the WET seems the obvious choice.

Cheers, Carl.

5. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
  6. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I'm really unfamiliar with these pieces of kit. I don't know the difference between an "Access Point" and a "Bridge". But if you say I need a bridge...Well that's fine with me.

Given that it appears the Netgear Adsl Router/Modem/54mbps Access Point seems to be the logical purchase I guess that the Netgear Bridge is the most sensible solution at the TiVo end then.

Looking like:-

Netgear DG834G - Adsl Router/Modem/54mbps Access Point £96.99
    With
    Netgear ME101UK Wireless Bridge £61.17

Cheers,

Mark.

7. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Hmmm, only problem is the ME101 is 11mbps only (about 1.5MBps) which is a bit slow for streaming. I would really want a 802.11g (54Mbps) as a minimum. I'm just trying to find out if you could use an access point with in built hub which would serve several benefits

Conect more than one piece of kit
    Extend existing coverage area

This is confusing me now :confused: but you've got me thinking.

8. Loftus

Loftus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Couple of observations about WLAN gear for HCPCs:

1. You'll be lucky if you get 50% of the quoted bandwidth (i.e. 54Mbps ~ 23 - 25 ACTUAL Mbps
    2. A lot of WLAN access points aren't actually very good at sending at peak speed continuously. They can suffer periodic errors which can kill throughput (and stutter video playback if you are streaming)
    3. Removable antennas are nice as it allows the flexibility to upgrade to better models (e.g. directional panels) if you need something a little different. I believe Linksys APs & routers have removable antennas.

my 2c

9. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Mark

The 834 has a 5dB antenna as standard so changing to an 8dB may not give quite the increase you might expect.

10. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
  11. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Will LinkSys SpeedBooster be worth waiting for then? Streaming directly from my Tivo to my is the main reason for getting this sorted.

BTW> Linksys have an all-in-one solution "Coming Soon" with the
    Linksys WCG200

Mark.

12. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I wonder if that new Linksys product will be ADSL compatible though. It only makes refereence to 'cable' so worth checking before waiting.

13. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Not sure, but Speedbooster is likely to be one of those 'features' that's doesn't interoperate well. D-Link are currently touting 108Mbps upgrades for their 54G kit but it's a D-Link only feature. Another reason to stick to one-make kit I reckon.

Sounds like a firmware tweak though, so probably no reason to wait for it.

14. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Having had a good look around what is available (and coming soon) from a number of manufacturers I've decided to wait for "Super-G" 108Mbps wirelss to offer me ehat I want.

You can already get a Netagear 108mbsrouter, PCI card etc. but no bridge or combined DSL/Modem/router yet. Those Dreytek products seem to have faired very well in reviews when it comes to speed, but they are very expensive.

Looks like I'm trailing wires across my floor for a couple more months.

Thanks for the info everyone though,

Mark.

15. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    just to let you know mark that with these thick walls i imagine you will have a serious problem at getting 802.11 'g' speeds let alone 'super-g'. Sticking with 802.11 'b' might be the only option due to the enhanced range.

However, that obviously might not be able to provide enough bandwidth for streaming. Right now i genuinely believe that anyone wanting to do serious high quality streaming across a network needs to stay with wires. Wireless is still years away from providing the continuous bandwidth needed especially with the advent of HD-DVD in the next couple of years...

p.s out of the 3 brands that have been suggested my order of preference would be: Draytek > Linksys > Netgear. Note that this is only based upon my previous experience and things that i've read about those 3 companies.

regards,

rOAdeh

16. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    You can get the wireless g Gaming adaptor for use with your xbox... I use one.. and also use it for streaming to my Slimp3 player !

Not sure how any wireless network would work range wise in you place.. I guess it all depends where you were putting in the router/access points ?

Matt

17. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Only problem with the gaming adaoters is when I spoke to Linksys they said they could only vbe used with a games console and not for connection to any other standard ethernet kit. Seems strange but that's what they told me and put me off buying one as you never know when you may wish to use it for something else (Printer, HTPC, TiVo, etc).

18. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Thats bull then.. its hooked up in my lounge to the slimp3 on a standard ethernet.. also I have used it with my laptop when I set it up and to test it I used it to surf the web.. all it is is a wireless bridge which gets a IP address???

Very neat though.. and a easy way to get wireless g for any network capable product.

Matt